Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software
Software Software created for enhancing HeroScape

Old December 4th, 2022, 10:43 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape.org - New Software Support for Heroscape

Our event yesterday used this software to mostly great results, but I'm here to report a few hiccups.

When I would pull the tab up after some break and the tried to report a game I got a dialog box about an error. It said it was probably the Peoria error. This happened 4 or 5 times. A simple page refresh let me submit results.

I could not drag any names to change pairings from Firefox on my phone. Luckily the store had a computer I could use, because if they hadn't then pairings would have really went off the rails after I swapped who got the bye and then started people playing before getting the system to match my change. I think you need an additional interface for changing pairings.

Finally, it would be nice if the main tournament page would periodically auto-refresh results and standings. I had to walk over to the store computer to manually refresh the big screen they were letting us use to display matchups and standings.

My other suggestion would be to have a way to assign tags to map instances. The game store had little numbered stands that I put by each map, but then I had to put the number from the stand in the map name. That works okay when you have multiple copies of the same map, except that it bypasses the logic that would try to avoid pairing people on maps they've already played. Some kind of system that would at least display any tags for the map (if not tell players they're at a specific tagged map) would be useful there.

That was a lot of feedback, but overall the software is great and I'm really pleased to be able to use it!

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 4th, 2022, 11:31 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
Our event yesterday used this software to mostly great results, but I'm here to report a few hiccups.
Glad to hear it (mostly) worked; and thanks for the feedback.

Some individual responses below.

Quote:
When I would pull the tab up after some break and the tried to report a game I got a dialog box about an error. It said it was probably the Peoria error. This happened 4 or 5 times. A simple page refresh let me submit results.
Yes, this is a known error. I'm trying to fix it. I haven't been able to yet. Really nothing else to say at this point.

Quote:
I could not drag any names to change pairings from Firefox on my phone. Luckily the store had a computer I could use, because if they hadn't then pairings would have really went off the rails after I swapped who got the bye and then started people playing before getting the system to match my change. I think you need an additional interface for changing pairings.
I've never tried adjusting pairings from mobile before; it makes sense that it wouldn't work well (or at all).

I'll have to consider some options for that one.

Quote:
Finally, it would be nice if the main tournament page would periodically auto-refresh results and standings. I had to walk over to the store computer to manually refresh the big screen they were letting us use to display matchups and standings.
Hmm. Most of the data is supposed to refresh automatically on the main page. At which points was the page not displaying updated data? During a round as results came in? After a round was completed and when the next round was paired? Something else?

Quote:
My other suggestion would be to have a way to assign tags to map instances. The game store had little numbered stands that I put by each map, but then I had to put the number from the stand in the map name. That works okay when you have multiple copies of the same map, except that it bypasses the logic that would try to avoid pairing people on maps they've already played. Some kind of system that would at least display any tags for the map (if not tell players they're at a specific tagged map) would be useful there.
If I understand what you're saying correctly, this is already implemented.

When you enter a map as a TD, you can enter 2 fields:
1) Name - this should match the name of the map exactly (no numbers added) to allow the system to include map images in the auto-generated match emails and avoid map re-matches (as you mentioned).
2) Number - this should be what you called a 'tag' to identify individual map instances whenever you have multiple copies of a map or have numbered spots at the tables (which it seems is what you had).

From looking at the data from your event, it looks like you put both fields into the 'Name' space. If you separate those out for future events, it should do what you want (assuming I'm understanding correctly). Although I don't fully understand the data I'm seeing; for example, I'm not sure why "19/20 Lush Dark" has 2 numbers instead of 1 while "19 Bloody March" only has 1, so it's possible I'm mis-understanding.
Old December 5th, 2022, 12:09 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I had some confusion initially about which maps were which.

I thought "number" was how many copies of the map there were...

--
--
--

--
Old December 5th, 2022, 09:17 AM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Fwiw I had no trouble adjusting matchups on mobile using Safari, although it did take me a minute to figure out the drag and drop, as there were no instructions on how adjusting matchups worked, just that it was possible.

Tournament Record:128-54 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old December 5th, 2022, 11:29 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:

Yeah, number should probably say "table number" instead.
Old December 5th, 2022, 11:35 AM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Follow-up on an earlier post about 'online' tournaments.

OST Season 1 Round 3 just tested out being an 'online' tournament last night, and it seems to have worked as expected (auto-generated a link for each game based on the map and put those links in the pairing emails).

So I'm pretty comfortable with the stability / functionality of this new feature now, so feel free to use it at this point if anyone else wants to use this software for an online tourney.
Old December 5th, 2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:

Yeah, number should probably say "table number" instead.
With both of you having made the same assumption, I'm pretty convinced the label needs to change.

But...I'm not sure "table number" is the best option. I still feel like that's a little ambiguous, because some tables hold multiple maps, and I don't really mean the literal "table" in this case.

Here's a few options, let me know what you think about these (or any other suggestions):
- Unique Identifier Number
- ID
- Table Slot Number
- Location Number

For a bit of reference, I designed it so that either giving each map a totally different number would work or just giving each duplicate map a unique number would work. I.e. You can have 2 maps both with the "number" 1 and it will work fine as long as those 2 maps don't have the same name. Essentially "name" + "number" was meant to be a unique tuple together. So I don't really love 'Unique' either, because it's not necessarily a unique number by itself in that it can be shared by multiple different map names and still work.

Thoughts?
Old December 5th, 2022, 01:02 PM

I think "Location Number" or "Table Slot Number" get the idea across the best.

Maybe the drag-and-drop would work better on Chrome? Still, I'd advocate for a Firefox-friendly UI.
@boromir96 the instructions for changing matchups were in the help, I believe.

--
--
--

--
Old December 5th, 2022, 01:14 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:

Maybe the drag-and-drop would work better on Chrome? Still, I'd advocate for a Firefox-friendly UI.
That’s good, I had asked Chris to add that after last month’s tournament, haven’t looked at it since.

Tournament Record:128-54 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old December 5th, 2022, 03:22 PM

Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby!

+1 for “location number” — that seems really flexible and clear.

Quote:

* Available: Confrontation & other minis for C3V units (various Varks, Cultists, Gnids, etc.) *
My Sale/Trade List
The Orphanage - HS Figure Exchange
(My available/wanted orphans)
Old December 5th, 2022, 03:35 PM

"Location Number" seems to be a pretty popular choice (also had 1 person reach out to me separately from this thread), and I think that makes sense, so I've changed that field's label to it.

Should be updated on the site already.

Thanks all for the feedback on it; I think this is a much clearer label than it was.
Old December 6th, 2022, 09:47 PM

Dissolutio Woo who?

This website is super cool Chris, love to see it!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software