Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old June 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Wave 9 spoilers complete. Your thoughts.

Now that we have seen everything that wave 9 has to offer, I wanted to offer my thoughts on it as a whole, and hear your as well.

Squads, man 6 common squads, very good ratio, lots of good ideas and some meta-game shake-up, abilities. I'll rank them in order of my favorites.

1. Dwarves- these guys rock. Love the stratigic bonding.
2. MRT- been wanting native americans for a while, wave 9 delivers in a very good way.
3. Repulsors- they get this spot because I love their impact on the meta-game.
4. Protectors- two words, ranged fliers. Nuff said.
5. Gladiators- really wanted to put them higher but, can't see them as good on their own. Make Sparticus playable, lots of credit for that.
6. Dividers- Not bad, but someone had to be on the bottom.

Heroes- these guys are very good.

1. Migol- still not sure of his relation to the guy in the tomb, but this guy is a beast.
2. Brave Arrow- a steal at 50 points. Could see him in lots of armies.
3. Atlaga- the withering bolt could pull the teeth out of lots of armies. Makes all kyrie armies viable.
4. Tul-bak-ra- kinda felt like he should be higher, and if the other three weren't around, he would be.
5. Kumiko- I'm not as sold as others. Kind of reminds me of sesame street, "one of these things is not like the others". Still, more usefull than Shori or Moriko.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: Wave 9 spoilers complete. Your thoughts.

My rankings (like yours, for general excitement to play them rather than competitiveness):

Squads:

1. Dividers. Fun stand-alone meatshield with a neat D20 power.
2. Protectors. Ranged flying common squad---big news.
3. Gladiators. Steamroller baby!
4. Repulsors. Robots are always cool, but robots that make other robots less playable? Not so cool. But still really cool.
5. Dwarves and MRT. Glad to have them available but I'm not really itching to play either. This is probably because I tend towards hodgepodge armies without explicit synergy.

Heroes.

1. Atlaga. Five move Minions.
2. Kumiko. Great stand-alone unit to drop into many armies.
3. Tul-Bak-Ra. Looks fun. Great to have some futuristic Marro
4. Brave Arrow and Migol. See #5 above.
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM

2xHero knows what's in an order marker 2xHero knows what's in an order marker

This looks like such a great wave that ranking the units is not so easy. I guess I'll rank them on the order I plan to use them.

Squads:
  1. Omnicron Repulsors - These guys looks so great that it's unreal. They are designed to be effective against some of the most powerful units in the game, including my most feared hero, Major Q9.
  2. Marro Dividers - I've been a marro fan since MS1. Another self-replicating squad is cool. Plus, it works on your opponents turn, essentially negating 2 kills.
  3. Capuan Gladiators - The gladiator squad is finally here! While I was originally hoping that they would be a cheaper, weaker squad, I'm glad they turned out how they did. And now, Spartacus is good.
  4. Axegrinders - Anothersolid melee squad. Plus, their bonding/extra move decision doesn't hurt.
  5. Mohican River Tribe - I'm just not a big fan of hybrid units yet. But, I will still have to try them to see if their abilities fit together better than I can imagine.
  6. Ullar's Protectors - I was a little upset to see their low defense. Maybe their range + melee screen can help that, but I was hoping they would be more like Minions/Sentinels/Marrdens and less like EI/Templars.

Heroes:
  1. Tul-Bak-Ra - New marro is good. This guy has some odd powers so it will be fun trying to figure out how to best use them.
  2. Kumiko - a new >10 pt. ninja that actually looks pretty good. She's cheaper that Moriko and has a unique ability that allows multiple attacks while moving! She doesn't have a mask, though. ???
  3. Atlaga - I'm mostly excited about what he can do for minions and sentinels. 5 move with flying is pretty fast!
  4. Migol - Giving deadly strike and one shield defense to one character could be fun. Plus, having a natural 4 defense is always good.
  5. Brave Arrow - He's definitely a solid hero for only 50 points. He will be usable even without the MRT.
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:25 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Squads:

MRT: Interesting way to make an anti-range unit.
Repulsers: I'm not that excited about these guys as a Q9 counter, as the Big Q doesn't really need a counter in my house.
Protectors: These guys still make me think of wookies, and I can't figure it out...
Dividers: I was waiting for another squad to give the marro some more melee strength.
Axegrinders: Thse guys look like they will be interesting to counter.
Capuan: Favorite unit in this wave. Bar none.

Heroes:
Arrow: I still like MBS for 50 points, but this guy is interesting.
Migol: Interesting recycling of OSD and Deadly Strike.
Atlaga: I like the kyrie movement bonus!
Kumiko: Face is a little odd-looking, and I still like Moriko better.
TBR: What a disappointment. On that he's from the future, I have this to say: TAKE US BACK TO THE PAST!!!

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker

This wave is awesome! It was well thought out and we can see the adjustments creators have made. For example, heroes with 4 defense and 6 life is solid (Tul Bak Ra, Migol). Common squads sell better and are better overall in my opinion. This wave also proves that WOTC and others have listened to the populus on heroscapers. We wanted Natives and Dwarves and we got it!
MY OPINIONS

Game Changers:
Repulsors
Atlaga

Cool Units:
Braves and Brave Arrow
Protectors

Semi-competitive Units:
Atlaga
Gladiators
Repulsors

Good roles:
All Aquilla units
New Jandar Ninja

Old June 4th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation

I really like this wave-- it's more rock-paper-scissor oriented than previous waves. And that's how waves should be: knocking down powerhouses and raising up unheralded units. I'd love it if the meta-game got regularly shook up with each release. In particular, I think Heroscape's Range Bias will take a hit from several units in this wave, which will allow older melee units to see the light of day, too.
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:06 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

I'm most excited for:

Squads:
1. Dwarves. I've always been a Dwarf over Elf kind of guy, give me punch, not polish. Play will tell but these little guys have a chance to dethrone the coveted Minions as my favorite squad.

2. Repulsors. Wave 1 has introduced me to a love of the omicrons. I love scheming for ways to achieve height advantage. Obviously this is good for any unit but the potential reward is so much greater with deadly shot/strike figures. So Repulsors help the Omicrons and are a good counter to one of my least favorite units (I'm looking at you Q9).

3. Dividers. Every time I say no more Marro and then I buy a bunch. I'll get four packs of these guys. And their divide special will be fun. All of these Marro D20 powers make SBK about the most-played figure at my table.

4. Caupans. I like melee. Here's some more. I like the gladiator heroes. Now I can use them.

5. Mohicans. Concealment is cool but I prefer my low-defense shooters in the ant swarm variety so I'll stick with the Ashigaru.

6. Protectors. I like tank Kyrie (Minions, Sentinels) over puny kyrie like the EI and the Protectors. The possible effects of a ranged flier concern me.

Heroes:

1. Migol: This guy is the proverbial dwarf tank. Hits a ton and can take a licking, my favorite card in the entire wave.

2. Atlaga: Don't care for his squad but he can get the Minions moving faster and his one-shot kill will always be in the back of your opponent's mind. I hope we get a chip to denote that, otherwise I'll dig out one of the black markers to place on his card.

3. Brave Arrow: There is a lot in this guy for 50 points.

4. TBR: My least favorite sculpt of the wave has forced him to fourth. A better sculpt and he takes out Brave Arrow. As it is, his powers are funky and look like they will be a lot of fun to play.

5. Kumiko: I'm just not a ninja guy so she falls here.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.

Last edited by Land-based AE; June 4th, 2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM

tomcollins2000 knows what's in an order marker tomcollins2000 knows what's in an order marker

Well all and all I love it. Changing up the meta is a big part of this wave and I'm all for it.

1. Dividers: Better zombies like guys! get lucky and they never die.
2. Protectors: Ranged flying common squad. lots of people see this as almost too good, but I think the cost and move/range of the unit keep it in check.
3. Gladiators: Making old units playable I can ask for no more
4. Repulsors: when they announced wave nine I wished for "a monkey squad with like wrenches that grind Bots gears and stop them" glad to see you R2,3, and 4.
5. Dwarves: Cool? yes playable? yes competitive? yet to be seen.
6. MRT: good unit with strange bonding ability. looks to be good, but also hard to play if you want to get the most out of them.

Heroes.

1. Atlaga: Boom head shot!!! Ranged flying and the ability to change the game by smoking a important hero awesome.
2. Kumiko: Not impressed. might be a cool solo assassin.
3. Tul-Bak-Ra: This guys nuts.
4. Brave Arrow: Cool low cost hero with good powers.
5 Migol: A dwarf with a hammer, shield, and horned helmet no need to ask for more.

Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard.
Be Evil.
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:21 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

This is my favorite wave that I've been around for the release of. The powers on the cards are well thought out and add a lot to the game, as well as dusting off some old units. Amazing work everyone!

My excitement order

Mohicans / Brave Arrow - Who really needs defense anyway? I think it's overrated, and speed and offense are really the way to win games (or at least the way to have fun). Go dig up your Mittens and Vipers and have a blast with these guys!

Protectors - I think these guys have a shot to be really strong and fun at the same time. They fit Ullar's fighting style to a tee, and also the overall Kyrie theme. They'll also work well with my beloved Rat-Podges.

Atlaga - This guy works well with the Protectors, but also with all the other Kyrie! That includes Runa and her Minions, and this guy has a 25% shot to kill Braxas every game. Just that in itself makes me eager to use Atlaga!

Repulsors - Quite possibly the coolest new unit in this wave overall. They make an old unit playable and shake up the metagame. I can't wait to see the impact they have more than actually playing them.

Dividers - Even though I think range will take these guys down, it's gotta be fun to watch your opponent's attacks fail and your ranks grow! Plus, they help dust off Su-Bak-Na!

Tul-Bak-Ra - Maybe not the most competitive unit around, but this guy is downright cool. He'll make his opponents think differently and, if you have a lynch-pin figure like Kato, Ulginesh, Spartacus, or even Raelin, beware!

Capuans - Again, dusting off old figures is awesome, and these guys certainly do that. More offensive brute force than any squad in history - and easy to use. They have to be fun to play!

Dwarves / Migol - I was all excited about the Dwarves at first, but I kinda lost interest as the other units came out. Still though, a solid bonding squad with some options, and they definitely strike fear into the hearts of the Large and Huge. I hate the One Shield Defense power (because it hates me), so Migol doesn't look as good to me as he does to some, but they're still both solid.

Kumiko - She perhaps does the least cool things of everything in this wave, and I think she's gonna end up next to her "sister", Moriko, on my shelf. Still, Jandar needed a ninja. We asked for it, and we got it! She has a nice special attack for her points, and will find her way into a few armies.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:48 PM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

I agree with what a lot of you have said before, I am very, very excited about this new set. Will I buy all of it? Probably not, but there's enough in here which makes me want to play what I do buy in this set a ton!

Like the others, here's my order of favorites:

Common Squads:

-Mohicans: Like most others, I really wanted to see some Native Americans in the game. I was not disappointed. As my friends can attest I like playing the random squads. A good example, I played Shaolin Monks (I love those guys :P) at a tournament at TempleCon. I can see the Mohicans being very viable in the meta, but then again I'm the type who sees almost anything as being viable.

- Gladiators: These guys are beasts, and I think many are underestimating their initiative ability.

- Dividers: Like the Mohicans, I can see myself playing these guys. They are a cheap and very powerful squad. I expect these guys to make a HUGE splash in the tournament scene.

- Dwarves: I'll be honest, I like these guys, I just don't see the hype. I'm probably wrong here, but I think these guys will be like the Mass 4th, they'll help you win games, but not tournaments.

- Protectors of Ullar: Ranged flying is pretty cool, but I'll definitely play these guys more than the hero. A little too expensive for my liking, but it's all good I suppose.

- Ominicron Repulsors: Meh. They are OK I guess, but I think even though these guys shake up the meta, and make the Glads/Blasts unviable, I just don't think they'll see much play.

Now, for the heroes:

- Brave Arrow: See my comment about the Mohicans

- Kumiko: The more I look at her card, the more I like her. I especially like the fact that she's Tricky.

- Tul-Bak-Ra: His abilities are just dying to be broken. I'll play him more than any other Marro hero, especially since he's a heck of a lot cheaper.

- Migol: He's good, but I probably won't play the dwarves very often, so most likely I won't play him often either.

- Atlaga: I don't like his Bolt of Witherwood ability at all. The one shot aspect of it stinks (to me please don't take offense), and I don't see being able to move an extra space as that big of a deal, yeah maybe with the Minions, but eh.

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-
Old June 4th, 2009, 06:04 PM

Biggie is surprisingly tart

I just wanted to say "WELL DONE!" to anyone and everyone who had a hand in making this wave see the light of day. I am more excited about each unit in this wave, Heroes and Squads, than any wave since the first came out. Six months ago, I have to admit I thought we were done. Thank you to those on the front lines who kept this train rollin'.

It's just a "game"?
Old June 4th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker

Personally, I love the heroes a lot more than the squads, and I love the squads a lot.
1 TulBakRa- The new assasian.
2 Atlaga- Bolt of Witherwood rocks.
3 Migol- Great combo of offensive and defensive powers.
4 Brave Arrow- a psuedo-stalker that looks B.A.
5 Kumiko- not what I expected, but still pretty cool.

1 Repulsors- Awesome looking and awesome on paper
2 Dwarves- 6/1/4/4 on Q9. Awesome
3 Protectors- Kind of confusing at first, but they play well
4 Dividers- The original wave 9 preview. They work well with TBR.
5 Gladiators- Brings up Fartacus to new heights
6 MRT- Cool, but seems like too much effort for not enough reward.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion