Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old September 8th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth
Long Island Heroscape League forming

This thread is to announce the official start of the 2009 - 2010 season of the Long Island Heroscape League!

Hopefully we've thought of everything and are ready to start! If not we'll just adjust as we go! I know this is lengthy but I think it will answer a lot of questions. If you have any additional questions or comments please PM me.

Grishnakh

Officers:
Grishnakh - League President
C.K. - League Vice President

Place:
The Game Table in Mineola, NY is our host site for our monthly game day. For those of you who have not been to Game Table they have a large, nicely furnished downstairs as well as plenty of space upstairs to game. The store is clean, the bathroom is nice and they have a coke and snack machine in the store. It is within a 10 to 15 minute walk from the train station. (He also actually carries Heroscape in store at reasonable prices.)

The Game Table
167 E Jericho Tpke, Mineola, NY‎
(516) 280-7644‎

Normally the store hours on Sundays are between 1:00 - 9:00. They are willing to open around 12:00 on our game day so we can set up the maps. With Game Table opening early we will use the first 45 minutes for set up and or building maps and then start a little after 1:00. From past experience everyone should be able to play at least two games by 4:00, maybe even more.

Schedule:
Our games would meet on the 1st Sunday of each month. (There are a few months where the 1st Sunday doesn't work due to holidays.) Our season will consist of 8 regular game days starting in September and concluding in April. Our finals will be held in May. Each game day would list in advance the number of points we would use that day to build our armies from (for example 450). Our September kickoff will be listed at 500 points. (I'll post the points for the other months in the near future.)

1. September 20th (Our kickoff!) 500 points
2. October 4th
3. November 8th (Moved forward to the 2nd Sunday due to Halloween weekend)
4. December 6th
5. January 10th (Mid season substitutions) (Moved forward to the 2nd Sunday due to New Years Eve weekend)
6. February 7th
7. March 7th
8. April 11th (Moved forward to the 2nd Sunday due to Easter weekend)
9. May 2nd (Playoffs!)

Communication:
The best way to communicate with each other will be through our forums. Questions, map selection, etc. should be handled through the boards. Regular members should therefore register for our forum.

Our web site:
http://liheroscapers.com/

Our Forum:
http://liheroscapers.com/forum/

Some Maps:
http://liheroscapers.com/Scenarios.htm

Army Restrictions:
To be able to be considered for the playoffs you first have to register an army with me. This list can be submitted to me in writing or e-mailed to me. During the course of the season you can only use figures from your army to play with. Each person will choose 1,500 points worth of figures to create their army. You will then be able to pull figures from this army to use in each battle throughout the entire season.

Marvels can be used in your army build but would be limited to two. Of course unique heros and unique squads could only be picked once. Start zones are still limited to 24 for two player games.

Of course you have to pay the costs for multiple, common units. If a common squad costs 50 points for example and you wish to take 3 squads of them then it costs you 150 points.

In January we will have a mid season substitutions. After the December game, but before the start of the January game, you can resubmit your army to me if you wish. However, you can only swap out 500 total points, keeping 1,000 points worth of your original army. Otherwise during and after the season starts there are no other substitutions.

I will be in charge of registering everyone's army and keeping track of the points and the standings.

After all armies are in to me I will post them on our forums along with the players name and the team name.

Army Name:
Of course! Extremely important! You've got to come up with a name for the army that you are going to crush everyone with! You know, "The Mighty Warriors of Valhalla!" sort of thing.

General League Rules:
We will play using the official rules. No house rules. (The President and Vice President are available to settle any rules disputes.)

Each player has to (try to) play a new opponent each game before they can play a previous opponent. That way everyone gets a chance to play each other. I would leave this up to each player to police for themselves.

We are not imposing time or turn limits for our games. These should all be fights to the death. Since the store closes at 9:00 people can leave whenever they need to. Officially, however, the League should be done by 5:00, 6:00 at the latest. Games played after that would not count toward your standing.

To avoid confusion all players would be expected to provide their own figures. The League can not provide figures and will leave loaning of figures up to individual friends to decide.

There are no dues. If people want to donate prizes toward the end of the season we can do that.

I'll most likely be sending out monthly reminders to everyone about game day.

Scoring:
After one or more people play a total of ten games I will start posting the standings on our web site. This will be done as a percentage based on your total win/loss ratio.

Three player games would have one winner and two losers.

Four player games would be played in teams and have two winners and two losers.

Of course if we have people come in to our Game Day and just wanted to play for fun we would let them. But be careful, your win/loss score would matter, theirs of course would not.

Finals:
To be considered eligible for the finals each player must play at least 10 games during the course of the regular season. This should be easy since we meet 8 times. For example if you play 2 games all 8 game days you'll have completed a total of 16 games. If you only make it two days and play a total of 4 games then hopefully you had fun but you will not qualify for the finals.

At the end of the last regular season game day in April the standings of each qualifying player will be posted as a percentage based on their win/loss ratio. In the event of any ties we will have a sudden death game(s) to determine a players ranking. In May we will have the top 4 teams advance to a final round elimination as well as general gaming for the other players.

The reason for this format is simple. I know for a fact that we will have people come and go, discover us late, not have people able to make every game day, etc. This format will allow everyone to play and have a good time in a casual way and still allow for league standings for the more committed players. Anyone would be welcome to play at anytime throughout the season.

Maps:
Lets face it, the maps are the biggest challenge in all of this. No one expects anyone to bear the burden of making and bringing them each month. But, if we share the load, then we'll be fine.

So, to make this work I would need a commitment from the regular players to build and bring (or bring the pieces for and build there) one map each month, sort of. Since we'll need one map for every two people playing the best way to do this is to buddy up with someone and then rotate the map building. So simply put if player A and player B buddy up then they can rotate who builds one map each month.

For example my son and I will be attending so we'll always bring one map. That's a map for two people.

Our VP has mentioned that he is good for one map each month so that takes care of himself and one other person. That's two maps for a total of 4 people.

These maps would be any map from our official maps listed on our web site or on Heroscapers.com. If two people build the same map so be it, it doesn't really matter. The chances of that happening are slim anyway.

I'm also sure I'll bring a 3 or 4 player map on occasion. Someone else may get inspired to do the same thing as well.

And, on occasion, I might bring over a special, customized map to play on. The custom pieces, while not "official" game pieces, would only be line of sight and movement blockers. I really do not want to get into custom, house rules and if this presents a problem I will not do it.

And lastly, the best place to discuss this will be on our message boards. I'll post a thread for each month entitled "October Maps" for example. That way we can talk to each other about what we're bringing.

Standby maps:
The store owner has volunteered the store's open copy of Heroscape (a master set) so we can, in a pinch, always build an additional map out of that. Sometimes the simple maps can be the best ones. Any one day players interested in us would have to grab figures out of that set to play with.

I'll probably build and bring a standby map each month as well, just in case. This standby map could very well be a map that I build, not tear down each month and just bring. So it will be the same map for a few months and then most likely, if we use it, I'll get bored of it and change it out.

I'll also probably bring the pieces needed each month for one map in a bag and we'll decide that day if we need to actually build it or not.

Anyway, that should cover the maps each month.

Our League has the potential this year to grow even larger than what we've had in the past and it promises to be a lot of fun. And if you know of anyone else who might be interested in the League please let them know about it. Thanks!

Grishnakh
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:06 AM

C. K. Woo who?
Re: Long Island Heroscape League forming

Yea baby!

Let the Beatdowns begin!
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

The beatdowns are definitely coming! Grishnakh is going to put a world of hurt on his opponents!

We are currently standing at a total of 10 people in the league. We might also be picking up a few more before our kickoff game in a week and a half! Awesome!
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:30 PM

C. K. Woo who?

w00t w00t!

I'm finalizing my army selection tonight.... just need a team name now...
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:59 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Evildoers beware! THE SYNERGY SCOUTS are coming to Mineola! They're bringing synergy from the early days of Heroscape right up to Wave 9. Some of them are Scouts, some synergize with Scouts, and other just act like scouts.

It won't be long until we'll be scouting out your position.

Last edited by chas; September 17th, 2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Titleless

Our Heroscape League here on Long Island is having it's kickoff game day this Sunday (Sept 20th) at the Game Table in Mineola. If you live in the area and want to check us out stop by. Our games start at 1:00 and will probably run until 6:00.

As far as the Synergy Scouts are concerned - The Lords of Oblivion offer no quarter to their opponents!
Old September 18th, 2009, 09:52 AM

C. K. Woo who?

Pfft.....

C. K. will lead Team BLAM-O! to victory on the battlefields of VALHALLA!!!!
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:49 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Good luck to all leaguers - wish I could join you, but work prevents it. Have a great season!
Old September 19th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Titleless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Good luck to all leaguers - wish I could join you, but work prevents it. Have a great season!
I'm sorry we had to hold our League games on a day you could not make it. Your presence will be missed! If you ever have a free Sunday let us know, you'd be more than welcome to join us.
Old September 20th, 2009, 12:49 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

No apologies necessary, Grish. I'll keep you posted if I'm ever able to make it.
Old September 21st, 2009, 06:39 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

The first league session yesterday was great! See my own After Action Report on http://liheroscapers/forum. Coming in from The City on the LIRR without a car was easy, and only took 40 minutes. I have to mention that THE GAME TABLE is the best store for its size I've ever seen. It offers tremendous hobby stuff of all kinds in a medium size store from board games and minis to RPGs to computer stations. The owner and staff are helpful and informative. We took over their basement of gaming tables for our event. Check it out if you're near Mineola!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events