Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old February 18th, 2009, 02:38 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Book of Sacred Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿchean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiteofthedice View Post
If the Band are on NGS's team, and Gok-face mindshackles a non-disciplined figure, does the Band lose the bonus?
Rev is correct, but NGS is tricky anyway. The only way you would be enjoying the bonus in the first placye is if Parmenio was in your army and he made NGS disciplined.
Which is what I had in mind. I just didn't explain myself well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿchean View Post
NGS doesn’t bond with the Band but you may have known that.
I realize that, but thanks, I was just wondering. Greeks and Armocs are actually the only set of which I currently own zero. It just happened that there was always another set next to them on the shelf that I was more excited about. Now I've gone and missed my chance. Waiting for a re-release . . .
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I wanted to see if Defy Death was worth it. I know some of you have crunched some numbers, but I wanted to take it all the way.

A sacred band figure dieing from an attack with two defense:
Code:
Att    Normal    Defy Death
1    0.2222    0.1556
2    0.4444    0.3111
3    0.625    0.4375
4    0.7569    0.5299
5    0.8472    0.5931
6    0.9063    0.6344
7    0.9436    0.6605
8    0.9666    0.6766
A sacred band figure dieing from an attack with three defense:
Code:
Att    Normal    Defy Death
1    0.1481    0.1037
2    0.3333    0.2333
3    0.5093    0.3565
4    0.6551    0.4586
5    0.7662    0.5363
6    0.8461    0.5922
7    0.901    0.6307
8    0.9376    0.6564
Dieing from counter strike. The attack + 1 is coming from Marcus:

Code:
Def    Normal    Defy Death    Att + 1    DD and Att + 1
3    0.1991    0.13937           0.1227    0.03681
4    0.2963    0.20741           0.1968    0.05904
5    0.3951    0.27657           0.2793    0.08379
6    0.4897    0.34279           0.3652    0.10956
7    0.5766    0.40362           0.4502    0.13506
And finally, dieing from counter strike with Heroic Defense:

Code:
Def    Normal    Defy Death    Att+1    DD and Att + 1
3    0.3438    0.10314          0.226    0.0678
4    0.5       0.15             0.3633  0.10899
5    0.6367    0.19101          0.5     0.15
6    0.7461    0.22383          0.623    0.1869
7    0.8281    0.24843          0.7256   0.21768

Last edited by Obsidian; July 13th, 2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: dieing from, not surviving
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM

Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
I wanted to see if Defy Death was worth it. I know some of you have crunched some numbers, but I wanted to take it all the way.
And what do you conclude?

~Aldin, thinking you need to save about seven SB to roughly equal Parmy's cost
I was hopping that no one noticed that I never made a conclusion.

It's a tough call. The greater the change for death normally, the more powerful DD becomes. So if you are facing figures with large attacks like Drake, Carr, etc, then it might be worth the investment. Keep in mind, it can be quite difficult to get sacred band next to their hero.

At least you can count of Disciplined Influence?

Old July 13th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

I prefer to use Marcus with the Sacred Band over Parmy -- Marcus benefits other figures as well and as long as I don't need the disciplined influence, I've never used Parmy. One of my favorite 400 point armies is:
3x SB
2x 10th Reg
Marcus

The SB become 5M, 3A, 3D squad of 4 and bond with Marcus. Use the SB to tie up units and get the 10th on high ground with Marcus with them and you can usually get 2 or 3 of the 10th reg with 5 attack (2 base + 1 Wait + 1 Marcus + 1 height). Plus, Marcus makes the 10th Reg move 6, which is handy in getting to the high ground in the first place.

For the longest time, I never played the SB, but recently in lower point games, I have found them to be rather surprising. The army above cleaned house on some stingers/grubs/TKN.
Old July 30th, 2009, 02:15 AM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Man, I always thought these guys were worthless until I nixed Parmenio and just took Marcus.

The 10th Reg and many other stellar disciplined units make good builds, and the Band can send in a backup unit if one dies without taking a huge drop in defense.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:20 PM

Fenmeister Woo who?

The Elite Onyx Vipers are not dicipline, but precise and therefore do NOT benefit the sacred band.
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:15 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I prefer to use Marcus with the Sacred Band over Parmy -- Marcus benefits other figures as well and as long as I don't need the disciplined influence, I've never used Parmy. One of my favorite 400 point armies is:
3x SB
2x 10th Reg
Marcus

The SB become 5M, 3A, 3D squad of 4 and bond with Marcus. Use the SB to tie up units and get the 10th on high ground with Marcus with them and you can usually get 2 or 3 of the 10th reg with 5 attack (2 base + 1 Wait + 1 Marcus + 1 height). Plus, Marcus makes the 10th Reg move 6, which is handy in getting to the high ground in the first place.

For the longest time, I never played the SB, but recently in lower point games, I have found them to be rather surprising. The army above cleaned house on some stingers/grubs/TKN.
I have really been thinking about how to use them as well. I think combining them with Valguard is hard to make work, even with Parmenio making him Disciplined. It's generally hard to justify Parmenio at all, given Marcus' buffs for Soldiers, even if you find a juicy unit that Parmenio can make Disciplined. Any really good unit that he can make Disciplined will eat a lot of points that might be better spent on 10th Regiment plus the extra 10 for Marcus instead of Parmenio.

Your army idea seems like it could really work, and I think the key again is using Marcus. The two Warlords together eat a few points but it's not so bad. Perhaps sending Parmenio out with the SB to keep them alive and get a fifth attack is a good idea, keeping Marcus in the back for his move bonus and having him boost the 10th. That's 190 points of heroes, with 300 more for 3 SB and 2 10th Regiment, plus Isamu. There's no need for making anyone Disciplined, but the ability need not be used.

If you must use Parmenio and try to get his ability into play, then I suggest perhaps one of the dragons, or maybe Syvarris or one of the big Soulborgs.

Old February 6th, 2010, 11:24 PM

Syvaris knows what's in an order marker Syvaris knows what's in an order marker

Not really Heroscape game related, but uhmm my these guys came up in my Ancient History 1 class the other day. The real life Sacred Band had some err interesting tastes in err the relationship arena. I cannot look at this squad the same again. Curse you AH1 for ruining Heroscape for me.
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:59 AM

Nano*22 is surprisingly tart

When I see the SB, I see a unit that so closely resembles the Roman Legos, but just isn't as powerful. Shield Wall makes up for the defense in the Legos and SB Death Defy just isn't good enough for me.

Selling: x3 Omicron Snipers, x3 Capuan Gladiators
PM me if interested.
Old February 7th, 2010, 02:11 AM

Kroz knows what's in an order marker Kroz knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano*22 View Post
When I see the SB, I see a unit that so closely resembles the Roman Legos, but just isn't as powerful. Shield Wall makes up for the defense in the Legos and SB Death Defy just isn't good enough for me.
If it was an Aura...then it would be great.
Old February 7th, 2010, 02:55 AM

Ivellius knows what's in an order marker Ivellius knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
3x SB
2x 10th Reg
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dendrik View Post
Man, I always thought these guys were worthless until I nixed Parmenio and just took Marcus.

The 10th Reg and many other stellar disciplined units make good builds, and the Band can send in a backup unit if one dies without taking a huge drop in defense.
This, at least in my opinion, is the key to using them in good armies. As Retlaw notes, you get a fast, hard-hitting ranged unit (whose attack Marcus can boost further, no less), and the Sacred Band make for a dependable melee screen that can actually do some damage. I don't think the Sacred Band are a bread-and-butter unit the way Romans are. I think their tactical advantage lies in screening for strong ranged units (read: 10th Regiment of Foot) behind them. The redcoats are just so strong with Marcus, and the Sacred Band can move him up to boost the 10th while they move to intercept enemy melee. In such an army, they're more like 'reavers or Marro Dividers than Knights, Heavy Gruts, Axegrinders, or Legionnaires.
Old June 29th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Tandros Kreel is discilplined.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units