Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

View Poll Results: What do you think of the Harry Potter series?
I love the Harry Potter books! 47 52.22%
I like the Harry Potter books! 19 21.11%
The Harry Potter books are okay. 3 3.33%
I hate the Harry Potter books. 10 11.11%
I have not read enough/any to make a call. 11 12.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 21st, 2011, 11:40 AM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Harry Potter

I didn't care for the 4th or 6th movie, but all of the others were pretty good. The 3rd and 7th are by far the best though.

All of the books were amazing, especially 4 and 5.

Old May 21st, 2011, 11:43 AM

Master of Disaster is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Brains!

~Aldin, gnawingly
Aldin's wedding cake?
That's a wedding cake?! You gotta be kidding me....
Old May 21st, 2011, 11:56 AM

MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker

I could go on forever about the goodness of Harry Potter. But I won't. Instead, I'll rag on those who don't like it. You're all mentally ill.
Avada Kedavra!

My customs HERE.
With Two Es
Old May 21st, 2011, 12:40 PM

Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker

The only book I didn't really care for was 2. It just seemed like a repeat of the basic plot structure of 1, and thus redundant. Book 5 was my favorite by far.
Old May 21st, 2011, 01:19 PM
Business Casual

SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth

I've read them all - out loud - to my children (and my wife). In fact when we went on a 2-week vacation a few years back, my wife had to drive most of the way so that I could read.

Of course when I read out loud, it's with voices and sound effects. Came out surprisingly similar to the audio books the kids got later.

The whole household can't wait to see the last movie, which (as all movies do) will probably stray some from the actual story.

I know that I do not know.
C3G INDEX - SSE 92 - JSA GENERATIONS
Old May 21st, 2011, 02:04 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I've read them all. They started out fairly good but not mind blowing or anything, so I don't really fully understand how they became such a huge deal. Then as she became a huge star it became quite obvious that she got more and more full of her self and the books got worse and worse as a result.

Her lame attempts to inject modern day political commentary into children's fantasy books was a disastrous idea. The whole elf liberation bit should have been edited out by an editor somewhere along the process. They (her editors) did her a disservice by letting her drone on an on in several of her books. They could have cut a few hundred pages out of a few of them easily.

The last book was really awful. I only read it the one time and just did not like it at all. So many things just didn't work. For me it also appeared that she got pissed off that so many fans figured out where the story was heading so he changed it just to prove them wrong. By changing it it became worse though.

I really think that if she had written and published the first 5-6 books of the series with little fanfare, then they blew up into the huge phenomenon that they have become, they would have been much better stories. All the instant fame went to her head and all the pressure to deliver lead to trying to do too much IMO.
Old June 1st, 2011, 05:22 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I've read them all. They started out fairly good but not mind blowing or anything, so I don't really fully understand how they became such a huge deal. Then as she became a huge star it became quite obvious that she got more and more full of her self and the books got worse and worse as a result.

Her lame attempts to inject modern day political commentary into children's fantasy books was a disastrous idea. The whole elf liberation bit should have been edited out by an editor somewhere along the process. They (her editors) did her a disservice by letting her drone on an on in several of her books. They could have cut a few hundred pages out of a few of them easily.

The last book was really awful. I only read it the one time and just did not like it at all. So many things just didn't work. For me it also appeared that she got pissed off that so many fans figured out where the story was heading so he changed it just to prove them wrong. By changing it it became worse though.

I really think that if she had written and published the first 5-6 books of the series with little fanfare, then they blew up into the huge phenomenon that they have become, they would have been much better stories. All the instant fame went to her head and all the pressure to deliver lead to trying to do too much IMO.
I agree with much of this. Liked the HP books but didn't love them (won't ever reread tham). Didn't like the 7th book at all.

My 9 yo old son loves these books and had read and reread them many times over the last few months.
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:46 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by master of disaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Brains!

~Aldin, gnawingly
Aldin's wedding cake?
That's a wedding cake?! You gotta be kidding me....
Nah, it was cool. We had to use baseball bats instead of chainsaws in the actual wedding, but the wedding party wasn't really composed of the undead so it all worked out in the end.

~Aldin, totally lying... or is he?

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:20 PM

BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker

Well I hate Harry Potter. I never cared much for the books, but I thought they were alright. I just hate the character himself. He's just a dweeb. By the way, the next thing contains spoilers. Note the spoiler thing.
Spoiler Alert!

EDIT: There. I added spoilers.

Last edited by BassistofDoom; June 1st, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:22 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Nice spoiler, BoD.

~Aldin, who supposes pretty much anyone who wants to read it has read it at this point anyway

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:31 PM

Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby!

Uhh...

*Marvels in horror at the amount of HP hate in this thread*

Tarantallegra!

Okay, seriously now. I liked books and movies 2, 4, and 6 better than 1, 3, 5, and 7. Except book 5 was awesome.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:33 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Heh, my girlfriend love HP. I never did. The books were fun reads, I ended up reading all of them but the last one. They weren't spectacular, though. Harry himself did nothing but annoy me, and the same plot basically happened throughout most of the books. I heard what happens in the last book, how they kill basically every minor character, and some weird looophole ends it all. Just sounded stupid to me, so I lost interest. Too big a book to read just because.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books