Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:48 AM

Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Point caps in Valhallascape

I would like to see a larger point figure in the 500 range, as well as more closer to Torky and Jotun. Tork is one of my favorite figures to play, in smaller games he and his grubs take up the better half of your army, but you're almost guranteed an entertaining game. I've only played against Jotun, and the throwing power brought a lot of laughs to the gametable. More big figures with unique and fun powers, from tossing to stomping, can only be a good thing. For 500 pointers, it would have to be a large-scale game. But it could be a lot of fun, so long as thier abilities reflect said cost. And with the design team that's served us balanced and fun units for many waves, I have no doubts they could make it work.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand, lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
— Mark Twain
Old August 2nd, 2010, 01:04 AM

Kroz knows what's in an order marker Kroz knows what's in an order marker

I never got Jotun's throw to work...ever. Every single time I/we roll for it, it fails.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 01:40 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
The thing is, whose standard is this? I think a lot of people accept "the" standard a bit too easily around here. 500 points, BoV, 24 start zones is a nice tournament standard, but tournaments shouldn't be the standard. I mean, it's a game designed for casual drafting and at home fun before all else! A standard game for me runs 600-1500 points on a regular basis.
But I'm betting that most people here don't consider 1500 point games "standard", since for most of us that usually requires more than four figures.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)

Last edited by Killometer; August 2nd, 2010 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Of course the last game I played was 1400 points/48 hexes, so...
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:17 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

The winner of the Custom 500 point, One-Man Army contest would be acceptable. Its not the number of points, it's that intangible attribute: elegance.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:36 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
The thing is, whose standard is this? I think a lot of people accept "the" standard a bit too easily around here. 500 points, BoV, 24 start zones is a nice tournament standard, but tournaments shouldn't be the standard. I mean, it's a game designed for casual drafting and at home fun before all else! A standard game for me runs 600-1500 points on a regular basis.
But I'm betting that most people here don't consider 1500 point games "standard", since for most of us that usually requires more than four figures.
My point was that I don't believe in "standard." Standards though, sure, or I wouldn't have wound up with my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
The winner of the Custom 500 point, One-Man Army contest would be acceptable. Its not the number of points, it's that intangible attribute: elegance.
I agree - elegance is a major factor in any great card.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:59 AM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

One way to get around the base size problem might be to make this unit 2 or more separate double hexes. One is the front part of the dragon, and the other is the second part. The back of the front always has to remain engaged with the front of the back. I could see this slithering like a chain across a map, over terrain chasing units.

Two cards. The back one has abilities like tail swipe or kick.

This could be pretty cool.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:02 AM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I think the best way to handle giant figures is to go Marro Hive on them and just make the action come to them (that's how it usually works with huge monsters in dungeons anyway).
But I think that high costing figures and large sized figures are different topics all together.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:45 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Strangely enough, despite being the person who started this thread, I'd feel uncomfortable with units costing more than 370 points (the highest official cost set by Marvelscape). My personal preference would be to see a couple more Valhallascape or D&Dscape units within that 225-370 point range.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:49 PM

I think the current official units in that range struggle to be worth their points, mostly due to attrition from squadscape holding them down. If units are going to be designed with costs that high, I think they need to be equipped with more answers for squads.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:54 PM

Delph is surprisingly tart

I too would like to see more high value heroes. They need not be huge in scale and as it looks like demons are making an appearance, now might be the time.

I matters little if they appear to imbalance the game, people will always find a way to counter. I would just like to see something mix it up a bit.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Imagine if the Hydra was 8 defense and 6+ life. It would be worth more than 225 and would hold its own against squads. It would still be going to the battle and not waiting for people to come to him.

Or even if a Dragon like Braxas or Nilfheim was like 5 defense and 8 life. If it has a SA that could take down 3 units a turn, it'd be worth 300 probably as it could still take out squads and be hard to kill.

Either of these would still not be "broken" as eventually enough 2-4 hit squad or 5+ hit hero attacks would take it down. Jotun is not good in anything but Marvel/C3G-Scape or Hero-centric/high point armies, but the above options would be good in high or low point games against heroes or squads.

Last edited by lefton4ya; August 2nd, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 02:29 PM

This is all I'm saying - high point units are doable, but they have to have good squad countering abilities or they'll never stack up to the metagame.
The higher the cost goes, the more of a challenge it becomes to make a unit both worth its cost and not broken. I think that taking concepts applied to current designs and just adding more and more life is really one way to do it, though (but there are other concerns to tackle such as providing powers that avoid auto destroy powers from taking them out).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion