Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old October 20th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: The Top 10 Most Frequently Overlooked (yet [ab]used) Rul

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenless View Post
i should have never said anything and im sorry i did. ill stick to lurking
No, don't do that. I'm sorry that my original statement was unclear. I don't consider myself 'a rules god.' Just take a look at my first few sentences of the original post. If you took issue with the wording, odds are that someone else will as well. I'm glad that you called attention to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
i was not confused with the rules. the wording of one sentence confused me and made me question it.

i understand from this rule that if my ranged figure is engaged with a figure it cannot attack a non engaged figure without breaking engagement by either moving or destroying the engaged figure first. the rule in the book and the statement on this page didnt clearly say that, but hinted at it.

i hate rule lawyering. i used to play MtG with a group of guys and felt like killing a certain one of them everytime he opened his mouth because he thought he was a rules god. i should have kept my mouth shut.

just to let you all know i am not and at the rate things are going will never be a tournament player. i would love to play some competitive games but my only competition is my 9 yr old son, because of our location. hes getting better but most of the rules we follow have been our interpretations of the book. when more complicated situations started occuring as we added figures, i started coming here.

so according to this rule if say nilfheim were engaged to one figure, is that the only figure he can use his ice breath attack on if there are others in range? how about Q9 if he were in nilfs spot? or syvarris. are all these multi special attackers held in place so easily by a single engaged figure?

we have played single figures like a lone 4th mass engaged to a melee figure correctly, the 4th mass could only attack the said figure, but now i am questioning special attacks.
This is a great post.

I'm glad you said something about Jexik's #4. I am fan of Jexik's work on these boards and admire all that he has brought to us Scapers, but I agree with you that his wording there was less than excellent. Thanks for saying something.

As to being a tournament player: just wait and see. Being in a tourney is great times, if you get the chance. If you play halfway decent, follow the rules carefully (which it is clear you do) and are fair and fun to play with, then you would be a wonderful tournament player. Seriously.

Finally, your quesiton on Nilfheim and others is excellent. It is, IMO, the one thing that limits the ice dragon so much. He can only attack a given figure once with his Ice Shard. If he fails to kill the figure he is engaged with, he is losing his other two attacks. (Unless, of course, he disengages first--thank goodness he has high life.) Syv and Q9 are a bit better off in that they can hit the same guy again, but they have to kill or disengage to be able to hit a more important target.

Engagement is a critical part of the game and can really effect game play (one reason the Deathreavers are so valuable).

Hope that helps--and hope to see more posts from you.

Last edited by 1Mmirg; October 20th, 2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: oops, minor errors
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:14 PM

greenless is surprisingly tart

We were playing multi attack figures wrong i guess.

We played that their first attack(or second in some situations with multi engaged figures) had to be against the engaged figure but after that they could attack elsewhere

ex. Q9 is engaged to jotun, and raelin is 4 spots from jotun. Q9 in our games would have to roll at least 1 of his dice against jotun but the rest could go to raelin.

Guess i was wrong on that one. All have to go to jotun until he is dead. this definately changes some things for future games. since its usually just me and my son(and half the time i let him win by intentionally misplacing order markers) it didnt matter in our house but if we go to youngstown saturday after Thanksgiving it will matter alot.

Jexik, thanks for the rules argument, and subsequent clarification. Don't worry about me lurking, i have close to $200 invested in this game and plans for more, im not goin anywhere.

And to answer the pm i got concerning typing. Ill try to use my shift key, but this isnt english class so if i don't sorry. Im a scientist not a writer.

Another Question we had is: If i have multiple attacks on a card, whether it be from a squad or a Mulit attacker like Q9, do i have to declare all the targets before i roll anything or can i wait for the outcome of the first roll to decide the second target?
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:46 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Another Question we had is: If i have multiple attacks on a card, whether it be from a squad or a Mulit attacker like Q9, do i have to declare all the targets before i roll anything or can i wait for the outcome of the first roll to decide the second target?

You can wait for the outcome. So yeah, shoot at Jotun, and if he's defeated, take a shot at Raelin also.
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

You can choose your later attacks based on how your first attacks go.

(We used to play as you did, as long as one attack went to an engaged figure, then that "counted" as having attacked them--but other attacks could go elsewhere. It is a subtle game change, but meaningful.)

EDIT: Ninja Pyre, more like it
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!

This applies to squads also, if you have 4th Mass (1-4), unengaged..., and 4 targets (A-D in order of priority you want to kill them) you can shoot as needed as long as the targets are all in range of the shooter. You dont have to declare 4 targets before firing, you declare as you fire.

#1 Fires at A Hit/Kill
#2 Fires at B Miss.
#3 Fires ar B Hit/Kill
#4 can fire at C or D, as long as they are in range.

Another example of multiple engagement.

Say you have a road with the following figures in line, facing from left to right:

<4th Mass #1> <Deathreaver#1> <4th Mass#2> <Deathreaver#2>

In this instance your goal is to kill DR #1, firing first with 4th Mass #2. Because if he kills DR#1, 4th #1 is no longer engaged and can shoot any target he can see in range. 4th #2 is still engaged, but you've freed up a shooter to take on anything else.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:44 PM

warriorneedsfoodbadly is surprisingly tart

Hello,
My question is about squad figures that are engaged.
At the tournament, I was told that my opponent didn't have to use a 10th figure that was engaged with me. He was allowed to use those not engaged and with height advantage. That doesn't seem fair especially when other rulings have said there are no figures, just army cards. He was using multiple army cards of the 10th, if this makes a difference.
Thank you
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:47 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorneedsfoodbadly View Post
Hello,
My question is about squad figures that are engaged.
At the tournament, I was told that my opponent didn't have to use a 10th figure that was engaged with me. He was allowed to use those not engaged and with height advantage. That doesn't seem fair especially when other rulings have said there are no figures, just army cards. He was using multiple army cards of the 10th, if this makes a difference.
Thank you

When using common squads, you can activate any of the figures, up to the amount that is on the card.

In your case, he could activate any four 10th Foot figures that he controls.

Yeah, it's powerful, but that how common squads are.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:47 PM
Adrian Monk

It is a valid call. One of the advantages of common squads (a big advantage!) is that you can use ANY of the relevant figures (up to the max of the card).

I have used this tactic before. It is yet another reason multiples of commons can be devastating in play. (Sorry you had to learn this one the hard way, though!)

Hope you had a great NHSD experience, nonetheless.

(Love your name--good ol' Gauntlet!)

Last edited by 1Mmirg; October 23rd, 2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: OUCH!--Stealth Pyre gets me again!
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

When you activate common squads, you are able to activate any of them up to the number indicated on their card. If I draft 4 Squads of 10th Foot, when I reveal an Order Marker on them, I can activate any four of them I want. If I move any of them, I must attack with those that moved (if attacking); I cannot move 4 and attack with 4 different ones. If I do not move any, or move less than 4, I can decide which I will attack with in turn.
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby!

This may not be the best place to ask, but I've been searching though posts and have not yet found an answer.

I understand HOW a double spaced figure moves when they encounter a water or molten lava space - they only stop if the entire figure is placed on the water or molten lava.

What I have not found yet is how to count the movement of the double spaced figure when crossing the water. As an extreme example, I played on the 'Fire Isles' BOV map using Brunak. The center of the map has a 'stream' of molten lava one tile wide flowing through a 'gorge' 3 full tiles high on both sides of the molten lava stream.

If Brunak is standing at the top of the gorge at the edge, how many movement points would it take for him to cross the gorge?
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Adrian Monk

You always count the edges of the tiles on the other side, just like climbing a hill. There are times when the heighth of the tiles will make it such that a double-hex unit can't cross the water. Is that what you were asking?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's