Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 10th, 2015, 09:38 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game

I'm getting 3 squads of Aubriens?

Oh, this is great.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old July 10th, 2015, 11:19 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

This seems like it could be an okay game, but I've got too much invested in Scape (that hardly gets played anymore) to chase another collectible minis game that is so similar to one I already have.

Hopefully someone in my game group buys it and I can try their copy

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 11th, 2015, 01:00 AM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

@Colorcrayons If you use multiple Unique Squads, will you treat them as Uncommon?

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old July 11th, 2015, 02:35 AM

G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby!

Uncommon... I personally like using 5mm dice for counters and place them on figures bases, works great for Shadows of Brimstone and would work great for any squad with multiple life if you want to go that rout, just make sure the life does not exceed 6 in character design.

Personally I think they should be Unique Squads with 1 life that are summoned by the planes walkers, unless you really have your heart set on making Uncommon Heroes. Points will have to be adjusted anyway for use of the figures in Heroscape.
@Hahma
Kinda feel the same way, but I'll pickup a set to give it a try. I'll wait til it's released in a local store to pick it up rather than grabbing one online.
@flameslayer93
or if you have a ton of Aubriens, you can make Longbow Elves

Quote:
@GeneralRolando
Also I wonder how they will handle multicolor spells/planeswalkers.
Most likely with a dual color scheme, some spells in magic require more than one type of mana. Typically these are more powerful but harder to bring onto the field.

For example
Spoiler Alert!

-------
Atleast now I can field Slivers & Phrexians. Therians from AT-43 will make awesome Phrexian models, Slivers are something I may get bored and sculpt one of these days, but not the new Predator & Aliens looking ones, the Old school snake with a claw looking ones are always how I will remember Slivers.
Spoiler Alert!

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity, I have erased that line."

Last edited by G1shark; July 11th, 2015 at 02:55 AM.
Old July 11th, 2015, 11:16 AM

t3hmeperson is surprisingly tart

Forgive me, I think I missed several pages in the middle of this thread. I'm seeing a lot of discussion on how to fit the new figures into heroscape or vise versa and how there's a lack of new heroscape terrain. But what I'm wondering is how can heroscape terrain be used to supplement AP.

I haven't picked up a box yet but plan on it soon. What exactly are the rules for summoning squads? I know that it's within a certain number of spaces, but do they have to be on the same elevation, or can I plop a guy down on top of a huge mountain? Are they clear-sight spaces, or can I put them on the other side of a fortress door?

I guess what I'm getting at is that it seems like summoning creatures makes the armies much more mobile. For instance, if somebody puts their archer on a hill, I don't need to climb up a staircase if I've saved one of my big scary squads to summon right behind the archer. As a result, a "good map" for AP might look very different than a "good map" for HS.

One of my biggest gripes with heroscape has always been that some of the coolest looking maps are extremely unbalanced to play on. Too much elevation makes flying pieces overpowered. It's hard to use things like FotA in competitive maps without making some perfect dragon perch.

I think the summoning mechanic opens up a lot of opportunities for interesting map designs that also play well. I look forward to holding back pieces to summon them on an enemy's castle wall or on the other side of a lava river.

I'm sure someone will be able to come up with a series maps where, for instance, on one map white's best strategy is to play very aggressively and on another they need to hold back for as long as possible. Hopefully mapbuilding can keep the gameplay fresh long enough to see some expansions and keep us from developing an optimum strategy for the 5 current armies available.

Since it seems like the games are quick, it would be cool to see a tournament or something where you play a best of X on several wildly different maps ("planes?") that each planeswalker has to play differently on.
Old July 11th, 2015, 01:41 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Some interesting thoughts on map design for Arena, t3hme.

I suppose if someone wanted to try and bring the mana concept into an Arena/HS hybrid game they could assign each tile type to a certain color of magic and only allow you to cast your spells of that color when your plainswalker is on of those tiles. That would change the games tactics quite a bit since both plainswalkers would want to be on their tile type while sending the summoned squads out after each other.

Sand & Blue Water = Blue
Grass = Green
Rock & Lava Field = Red
Swamp Grass & Swamp Water = Black
Snow & Ice = White?
Old July 11th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I wasn't planning on getting involved, but after seeing Tom Vasel's enthusiasm, and knowing his love for 'Scape, I had to pick it up. It's already sold out direct from Amazon and is being offered at a higher price by secondary retailers on their site. I'm hoping that brisk early sales will encourage WOTC to produce expansions. Just in browsing through the rules and cards, I can see that more content and options could make this game great. I'm cautiously optimistic, but given Hasbro's track record, I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

I just got mine from Amazon, and I haven't even played it yet, put it looks like a lot of fun. I would love to play this on a multiplayer Heroscape map after a tournament or at a game night (or even at Gen Con, hint, hint)!
Old July 11th, 2015, 02:09 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Islands could be water and tiles adjacent to a water space.

Forest could be adjacent to a tree space.

Swamp is pretty obviously swamp and swamp water tiles.

Rock and lava for mountains. Or major elevation.

That leaves Sand and grass for plains, or it could be a tile without obstacles or major elevation change adjacent to it.
Old July 11th, 2015, 02:44 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hmeperson View Post

What exactly are the rules for summoning squads? I know that it's within a certain number of spaces, but do they have to be on the same elevation, or can I plop a guy down on top of a huge mountain? Are they clear-sight spaces, or can I put them on the other side of a fortress door?
After you choose your Planeswalker's army card, before you take their turn, you can summon up to two squads and heroes. They must be placed on empty spaces within 5 clear sight spaces.

This could mean an instant 'engagement' which could be useful against an opponent's Planeswalker.

Quote:
I guess what I'm getting at is that it seems like summoning creatures makes the armies much more mobile.
Yes, it will play much differently with the ability to 'summon' reserve units. While I haven't played yet - it seems like this is a big part of the strategy (especially since most scenarios are 1 Planeswalker + 2 squads).

Quote:
I think the summoning mechanic opens up a lot of opportunities for interesting map designs that also play well. I look forward to holding back pieces to summon them on an enemy's castle wall or on the other side of a lava river.
Agreed, the mechanic will have an impact on maps (design, play-style, scenarios). I think it adds to the fun and I hope there are more expansions (but an increase in quality of the squad figures).
Old July 11th, 2015, 03:04 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Islands could be water and tiles adjacent to a water space.

Forest could be adjacent to a tree space.

Swamp is pretty obviously swamp and swamp water tiles.

Rock and lava for mountains. Or major elevation.

That leaves Sand and grass for plains, or it could be a tile without obstacles or major elevation change adjacent to it.
That is not a bad way to do it.

-Blue Spells require any Blue Water or tile adj. to a Blue Water tile.
-Green Spells require any tile adj. to a Forrest Tree, Jungle Tree, or Jungle Bush.
-Red Spells require any Rock, Lava Field, or Lava tile.
-Black Spells require any Swamp or Swamp Water.
-White Spells require any Grass or Sand Tile not adj. to a Water Tile, Forrest Tree, Jungle Tree, or Jungle Bush.

Then design maps where 3 or more of the different colored Spells can be cast at several different spots around the board. Then the plainswalkers move back and forth between the tiles they need to cast their spells and summon their troops.
Old July 11th, 2015, 07:58 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confred View Post
@Colorcrayons If you use multiple Unique Squads, will you treat them as Uncommon?
Yeah, I really think uncommon is the best way to go.
That requires marking them somehow to differentiate them from other squads though... :/

Small, colored adhesive dots like was provided in Battle for the Underdark seem to be the best bet.

This will also ensure there is no conflict with spell targeting.
Old July 11th, 2015, 08:11 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
...it seems like summoning creatures makes the armies much more mobile. For instance, if somebody puts their archer on a hill, I don't need to climb up a staircase if I've saved one of my big scary squads to summon right behind the archer. As a result, a "good map" for AP might look very different than a "good map" for HS.
Agreed.

I beleive the best way to look at Planeswalker summoning, is as if they were mobile APC's that can deploy troops within 5 spaces.

This opens a rather large threat area.

I made a few maps just for this game already with that in mind.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion