Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

View Poll Results: Do you buy guides for your games?
Always 1 3.33%
Usualy 2 6.67%
Sometimes 13 43.33%
Never 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 1st, 2007, 07:32 PM

STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker
Game Guides

Do you buy guides for your games?

My maps:

R.I.P. Ugly-Caco
Old November 1st, 2007, 07:36 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
The only game guides I've ever had were those that come for free with something I was already going to buy.

If I need help with a game, I just hop onto http://www.gamefaqs.com

Why pay for a guide when I can get several different guides for free? One of them will have the answer I need.
Old November 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker
I use the internet or come and ask on here

See Valhalla like never before:
Airborne Elite in the
BYZANTINE CAVE...
Old November 1st, 2007, 07:57 PM

Sci-fi Messiah has disabled reputation
I've never owned one except for God of War II, and I didn't even use it - I got it for the Artwork book. I have decided that any future purchase of a Final Fantasy game however will be made with an accompanying strategy guide. Otherwise if I'm stuck (like in FFXII) I will just use the online FAQs.
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:00 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Yes, let's spend money on something that holds our hand through something, that we could find for free on the interent.
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:24 PM

Havokscry has disabled reputation
The only games I'll buy strategy guides for are RPG's, especially ones that have recipe's for potions, blacksmithing, alchemy, etc.

I did go to a bull moose music store last night and they had throw a couple strategy guides for Halo 2 in the free bin. I don't think that anyone needs a strategy guide to beat the game, but they can't beat free.

Old November 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139
Yes, let's spend money on something that holds our hand through something, that we could find for free on the interent.
Even before the internet I thought game guides were a waste of money. Part of the fun of a game is trying to find the secrets and attempting to beat the bosses yourself. I poo on game guides.
Old November 1st, 2007, 09:26 PM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby!
I'll buy a guide if I'm playing a large RPG, but I just do that for the catalog of item and spell stats. Even the best guides destroy the fun of unravelling a story.
Old November 1st, 2007, 10:17 PM

Havokscry has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbistro
I'll buy a guide if I'm playing a large RPG, but I just do that for the catalog of item and spell stats. Even the best guides destroy the fun of unravelling a story.
Same here. I bought the one for Oblivion, more so as a reminder. If I put the game down for a couple months and go back to it, I'm pretty much lost. I think I've restarted it three times already.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 01:12 AM

STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker
I usualy get them so if I'm stuck I just open the book. That's what I did for Zelda TP.

My maps:

R.I.P. Ugly-Caco
Old November 2nd, 2007, 01:48 AM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139

gamefaqs pros:
They're free. That's about all there is to it.

Paperback Guide pros:
They're convenient. More often than not, it's easier to have an actual book next to you, rather than having to travel to and from the game to a computer. Now is when you say "print it off," which i will respond with "printer ink is expensive, so is paper, and guides use a lot of both. It's cheaper to buy one already printed and bound."

They're easier to work with. It's a lot easier to mark a page in a book, rather than search through a 100+ page word document for where you left off.

They have easy-to-read pictures. Sure, ASCII is entertaining, but all the characters hurt my eyes.

They can't be accidentally deleted. Unless you open a wormhole or someone up there really hates you, in which case you probably shouldn't be playing video games anyway.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:10 AM

royaldoy has disabled reputation
I collect console RPG's. So I usually collect the guides to go with them. I use them strictly as a way to find all the things that I did miss over the course of the game. I enjoy the reading afterwards.

I choose you...Isamu!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games