Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Old August 20th, 2012, 10:10 PM

Tiny Timmy knows what's in an order marker Tiny Timmy knows what's in an order marker
Gencon 2012 Feedback

It's that time again, but there is still next year to count on!

We appreciate all of your feedback, and we know our first time wasn't the smoothest of the smooth.

We are aware of the not so smooth first day because of Human and Computer Error. We had to switch to Tournament Director and print screen, crop and print which does take some time.

Any feedback/criticism is welcome...

My 2 cents, I liked the map selection but there was one map that got on my nerve. It's Fossil. Many times I have been obliterated by a ranged army that on any other of the maps would have turned out much much differently. I would suggest on omitting that map from future Gencons.
Old August 20th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth
Re: Gencon 2012 Feedback

I was fine with the slowness between rounds. That's not a big deal at all. It gives you time to talk to people and see how they did in their last game.

The only thing I think we need to implement for next time: more time. 45 minutes isn't enough to play a full game of 'scape, especially competitive ones like GenCon where everyone wants to make the best possible moves. I get that we lowered the point totals to try to ease this, but I've said this before and I'll continue to say it: the point totals do not effect the time required to play a game, the hex limits do. A 24 hex game will take the same amount of time regardless of point totals (unless you go really whacky and play with 400 or lower) because people just have less powerful figures that still fill the hexes up at lower totals.

Last edited by vegietarian18; August 20th, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old August 21st, 2012, 12:39 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

GenCon sets up everything in 2 hour increments. So we either move to 2 hour rounds (which is not going to happen) or we stick with the one hour rounds. There is no way to manage 90 minute or 70 minute rounds and be consistent with the way GenCon manages the even ticket system.

It is what it is; all we can do is work within the confines that GenCon gives us and build buffers between the events to compensate for the inevitable delays.

Lowering the hexes is certainly a valid option...or we implement clocks like Summoner Wars does.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; August 21st, 2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Fossil favors range? that is news to me
Old August 21st, 2012, 12:50 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Clocks become pretty tricky when there's so much back and forth in a turn. Even setting aside scatter/scurry/vanish, just the act of rolling defense dice takes time. I've had plenty of turns where my opponent took longer to roll defense dice and remove figures/place wounds than I did to flip OMs, call out the attack, and roll attack dice. (That's not to say that I'm always a speed demon - I'm just pointing out that both sides have to participate in the turn.)

For my part, I've been trying to do everything I can to streamline my gameplay at Gencon to reduce the number of games that go to time. Last year I switched over to the dice cup because I found it to be the fastest (I can roll at the same time as the opponent and just not reveal until they do, it's easy for them to see the result, and the dice never run away so retrieval is fast). I took much more sparse notes this year, which is making battle reports a pain but makes for much quicker gameplay.

A few more limited hex events could work, I guess.

---

Some random other suggestions:
  1. As I said on the BoV thread, I'd like to see some of the BftUx2 maps, like Sirocco or Stygian Rift or Bad Moon Rising. I'm not a big fan of the RotV+BftU and SotM+BftU maps.
  2. OK, lonewolf, you win: I'd like a little less Marvel.
  3. I'd like the return of the draft event, but with draft pools based on point totals (like, you know, every other event) instead of packs.

Last edited by dok; August 21st, 2012 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Fossil favors range when you compare it to super-melee-friendly maps like Isenfel. Fossil's a good map for the pool, IMO.
Old August 21st, 2012, 01:03 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Re: GenCon 2012 Feedback

Oh, I agree with you about the clocks...it just isn't practical. Truth has been pushing it for a while now but HS just doesn't work well with that type of restriction. Just throwing out options. Time has been a concern for these event since 2007.

It is all measured in 2 hour increments. They specifically ask how long a player can expect to play in a tournament event and then round up to the next 2 hour increment and take their portion based on that information.

If we set it up to where the rounds are longer than an hour, we end up paying GenCon more money because for a 4 round event, a player can expect to play for over 4 hours and GenCon wants another $2 bucks per person from the ticket sale which means we would have to increase our price to offset the expenses that are incurred. Also, increasing the round lengthens the overall time of the events making the day longer for the event organizers/GMs who are also at GenCon to have fun.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old August 21st, 2012, 01:12 AM
What A Daseline

Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I agree that Fossil has a nice, easily accessible plateau on height. But in its defense, it is small and it does have roads. Burial Marsh is probably a better example of how it should be done with similar terrain, but Burial Marsh requires more terrain pieces to build.

My personal pet peeve map is Jotun's Gap. Seems a bit too big to play on and might cause matches to run longer than they should before any kind of meaningful fighting starts (I'm a slow enough player as it is). Then again, I lost all three of my matches on it, so maybe it's just me.

Have one of the events Rolling Rumble...that'll certainly speed up play.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though I didn't play in them, I liked the new formats Assassin's Creed (even works well with Marvel) and Monster Mash. Mostly because so many different kinds of builds could be successful.

The Team Tourney was also a lot of fun. Those matches definitely needed the full hour to play, but I thought it worked out great.

I think Fog of War succeeds in letting melee have a better chance (minions versus death chasers in the final...how often do you see that?).

Last edited by Deroche; August 21st, 2012 at 01:25 AM. Reason: opinions on events added
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:43 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

I would like to see the Main Event at 480 pts instead of 450. I think that's the main difference.

Also, some new maps, instead of some back to back every year. New maps makes things more interesting.

As for tundra maps, please no Isenfell. Even though I didn't play on it, I would prefer Sidewinder be there. Or a DnD+Tundra map.

Can't wait for next year!
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:47 AM
What A Daseline

Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Also, some new maps, instead of some back to back every year. New maps makes things more interesting.
Easier asked for than done: They have access to only so much terrain, so the pool of viable maps has to come from that. Then, within that pool, how many maps have been proven over time to be fair for the majority of formats?

Old August 21st, 2012, 02:50 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deroche View Post
Quote:
Easier asked for than done: They have access to only so much terrain, so the pool of viable maps has to come from that. Then, within that pool, how many maps have been proven over time to be fair for the majority of formats?
Oh, I understood that already.
Old August 21st, 2012, 04:36 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deroche View Post
Quote:
Agreed. Selecting maps for GenCon is not an easy process. R˙chean involved me in the process back when he was running the show. At first I thought it would be a piece of cake, but it ends up being a very difficult endeavor. There are several parameters that really constrain your selection and you are rarely able to include many of your favorite maps.

Then, once you finally get through the process, all you get is grief about the maps you selected. I can guarantee that Lonewolf spent a great deal of time and effort selecting maps that would optimize everyone's enjoyment. Sometimes the best selection is a tried and true map that's been to GenCon before. Sorry

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old August 21st, 2012, 06:47 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Certain maps (Fossil and Ticalla Sunrise spring to mind) keep coming back because they fulfill a certain need in the map set. It is possible to make a map set with no overlap with 2012 while sticking with known, accepted maps, but it's tricky.

Here's one effort. You can make a copy that document and play with it yourself, if you like. The spreadsheet will automatically deduct from the totals so you know if the mapset you select stays within the totals of the Gencon terrain set.
Old August 21st, 2012, 10:46 PM

jacob_j_p is surprisingly tart

Thank you to all those that run the events, you all did a wonderful job. I felt like things moved quick enough.

My only "feedback" would be to print out the pairings so that the matchup shows up twice once with each opponent listed first, it's difficult to find your name buried in the middle of a list sometimes.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con