Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old November 13th, 2022, 04:21 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Age of Annihilation - Backer Trend and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerDad74 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Roshi View Post
Squirrels and beavers exist in our world along side many dangerous creatures including us, so I don't think its any less realistic than them existing here. Besides, a human sized squirrel is going to be more dangerous than a human, yet you don't have any issue with humans being in heroscape. And how do snakes with no ranged weapons exist on the same planet as the Marro?
I don't think people would have complained if the nemesis war brood or ironclad collective had been included in the original expansions, people would have just seen it as a new faction.
I think by exclusively releasing new factions, they made the new set feel unfamiliar, but I don't think the characters themselves don't fit. Its just too much new stuff all at once when it should have trickled in at a slower rate alongside additions to existing factions
Maybe that's part of it, just too much all at once and for one unsavory price.
I do think they made some mistakes in the design, so I can't say it's perfect or I have no complaints.

To fit in with the classic fantasy design you mentioned, it would have been a good idea to include traditionally designed centaurs, fauns, satyr, minotaur as a faction for Ullar. Then they get to design a new faction that isn't dependent on old characters for synergy while also providing easily recognizable characters
Old November 13th, 2022, 05:09 PM

Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
So thoughts on this . . .

I'm not a fan of most of the new factions. I actually like Lifeborne Dryan (they feel 'Scapey to me), but that's about it, other than the classic units locked far away behind completely unattainable backer #s. But, even though other people apparently love the woodland creatures, I find them out of place in Heroscape, and overly grotesque or overly busy death metal and bug factions are just not for me.

I've seen several people say they fit in perfectly with the Heroscape aesthetic, but if that's the case, are they the same people who loved D&D 'Scape? Because I certainly remember people complaining that D&D didn't fit the 'Scape aesthetic at the time. If that was a legitimate criticism then, why not now? So which is it?
There were also the same type of complaints about the Zombies, back in the day.

OG Heroscape collection completed on 6/21/2016!

The new collection begins...again...hopefully...at some point...maybe...CMON Renegade!
Old November 13th, 2022, 05:39 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garenex View Post
Quote:
So thoughts on this . . .

I'm not a fan of most of the new factions. I actually like Lifeborne Dryan (they feel 'Scapey to me), but that's about it, other than the classic units locked far away behind completely unattainable backer #s. But, even though other people apparently love the woodland creatures, I find them out of place in Heroscape, and overly grotesque or overly busy death metal and bug factions are just not for me.

I've seen several people say they fit in perfectly with the Heroscape aesthetic, but if that's the case, are they the same people who loved D&D 'Scape? Because I certainly remember people complaining that D&D didn't fit the 'Scape aesthetic at the time. If that was a legitimate criticism then, why not now? So which is it?
There were also the same type of complaints about the Zombies, back in the day.
People were actually complaining about the zombies not fitting the heroscape arsthetic back in the day? I wouldn't have expected that
Old November 13th, 2022, 06:06 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Maybe some of us have forgotten that literally anything fits into Heroscape. It the greatest battle of all time. There can and should be everything. I didn't find one thing in the new set that was offputting because I have always known Heroscape as a crossroads where anything could show up.

I think the biggest thing I was looking forward to was the woodland animal faction. It was cute, that is a piece we are currently missing in heroscape.

Looking at what we have right now, from the perspective of "do we have everything to appeal to everyone" would show that we don't right now. This is a game dominated heavily by male players, my wife expressed several times that she was excited for the combine and it honestly would have made her more interested in playing the game.

I guess I just find it confusing that anyone here is trying to put a single label on what feels like heroscape when a feeling is individual to us all. Heroscape is a place where anything and anyone can be summoned by the correct general. I'd like to see more diverse things in the future, nostalgia glasses and demands for "more of the same" is not what I'd ever want for heroscape.
Old November 13th, 2022, 06:26 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
Maybe some of us have forgotten that literally anything fits into Heroscape. It the greatest battle of all time. There can and should be everything. I didn't find one thing in the new set that was offputting because I have always known Heroscape as a crossroads where anything could show up.

I think the biggest thing I was looking forward to was the woodland animal faction. It was cute, that is a piece we are currently missing in heroscape.

Looking at what we have right now, from the perspective of "do we have everything to appeal to everyone" would show that we don't right now. This is a game dominated heavily by male players, my wife expressed several times that she was excited for the combine and it honestly would have made her more interested in playing the game.

I guess I just find it confusing that anyone here is trying to put a single label on what feels like heroscape when a feeling is individual to us all. Heroscape is a place where anything and anyone can be summoned by the correct general. I'd like to see more diverse things in the future, nostalgia glasses and demands for "more of the same" is not what I'd ever want for heroscape.
Bravo! I couldn’t agree more.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old November 13th, 2022, 06:38 PM

CapAp knows what's in an order marker CapAp knows what's in an order marker CapAp knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Maybe some of us have forgotten that literally anything fits into Heroscape. It the greatest battle of all time. There can and should be everything.
Come now. Not "literally anything" anyone can think of belongs in Heroscape and one can easily come up with designs that don't fit the game's aesthetic. If one of the new factions had been "GOP Senators from 1996" whose abilities involve passing legislation, I don't believe many people would have been pleased.

Obviously none of the new designs are outright BAD like that. But everything is going to exist on a continuum of acceptance, and it's ok for people to disagree on the aesthetic.
Old November 13th, 2022, 06:44 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapAp View Post
Quote:
Maybe some of us have forgotten that literally anything fits into Heroscape. It the greatest battle of all time. There can and should be everything.
Come now. Not "literally anything" anyone can think of belongs in Heroscape and one can easily come up with designs that don't fit the game's aesthetic. If one of the new factions had been "GOP Senators from 1996" whose abilities involve passing legislation, I don't believe many people would have been pleased.

Obviously none of the new designs are outright BAD like that. But everything is going to exist on a continuum of acceptance, and it's ok for people to disagree on the aesthetic.
What would be wrong with politicians?
Here's a skill for them:

IF YOU LIE ABOUT LYING IT'S ALMOST THE TRUTH
When attacking a GOP Senator, all shields rolled during the attack phase are added to the shields rolled during his defense phase.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; November 13th, 2022 at 06:44 PM. Reason: That's the clean version!
Old November 13th, 2022, 07:26 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I think that’s the point being made. Don’t have to like them, but nothing presented at this point is so outlandish to say it’s not HeroScape.

For instance, I don’t care for Marvel, I’m simply not a supers fan, in any shape or form and I’ll never have them in my games. That said, they still work.

-insert signature here-
Old November 13th, 2022, 07:26 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed with CapAp. Heroscape can't even fit in "anything" on a mechanical level; how would one incorporate WW2 tanks or planes to join the Airborne Elite? Heroscape is an extremely flexible and durable system, but it is not infinitely so.
Old November 13th, 2022, 08:16 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Tanks and planes aren’t hard at all.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old November 13th, 2022, 08:28 PM

GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I agree that not just anything goes with Heroscape, at least that's not the impression I ever got from it. It is the "Battle of All-Time" not the "Battle of All-Things." I mean there's literally nothing in the 13 waves of OG 'Scape that is even close to cute, furry woodland creatures. I also looked to C3V as what to expect, and in none of the C3V expansions was there any of that implied. Nor was there any implication that Heroscape needed several new generals.

I had forgotten what Hogg had reminded us (I think it was in HS Codex) about the relationship between the 6, the Hex, and the prediction of the number of eventual generals. So, again, there really was no need for several new generals if they were trying to keep Heroscape, Heroscape.

I don't think that my and others' comment that AoA doesn't fit OG 'Scape is invalid. Perhaps it's okay that it doesn't. Maybe that's what they were going for--something totally new that new fans would find appealing. The big problem with that argument is that they said this would definitely appeal to veteran 'Scapers, but when there's really nothing in AoA that I really remember seeing veterans asking for over the last decade, and when all of the stuff we really enjoyed was literally NOT included, and they gave us a bunch of tiles we already have bins full of, it's clearly NOT for veterans. And when they give hardly any information about how HS plays and just a bunch of pictures of colored plastic at a $250 price point, they can't honestly claim they were seriously trying to interest new players.

It's like they tried to please everyone and no one at the same time, and (hit) or missed on all accounts.
Old November 13th, 2022, 08:34 PM

GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
I think that’s the point being made. Don’t have to like them, but nothing presented at this point is so outlandish to say it’s not HeroScape.

For instance, I don’t care for Marvel, I’m simply not a supers fan, in any shape or form and I’ll never have them in my games. That said, they still work.
I agree with you, NYYS, Marvel works, but I would never (have never) brought them into my classic 'Scape games or vice versa.

And I think that lends credibility to what some of us are saying, maybe just about anything can fit into HS, but not everything blends seamlessly together, and some of us don't care to mix those things. If I wanted to play 40K (something I've never done nor will do--don't care for the aesthetic, not to mention cost and work), then I would play that. I didn't need it in my Heroscape. And I get some people like the Clockwork Combine. Just doesn't fit classic 'Scape for me.

Had the Hasbros given us options, we could have opted in or out on what we liked or didn't like. Instead, they said take it all at $250 or you get nothing.

Sorry, that doesn't work for my gaming preferences or my budget.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion