Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old February 14th, 2012, 03:37 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: Turn FotA into a Dice Tower. No tools required.

Folks, the PDF build instructions are now available.

CONSTRUCTION NOTES:

The seven-hex wall-walk piece with 8 battlements attached is the upper ramp (the hopper). The 2 single-hex wall-walk pieces joined together, with 2 ladders attached, constitute the lower (exit) ramp.

The upper ramp (hopper) can be saved until last: it props up on top of the 4 back battlements on the very top. The lower (exit) ramp, however, is best placed mid-way through construction: after you've placed the lower ring of walls and doorway, slip the exit ramp assemblage down the tower from above and position it so that it rests at the bottom of the tower at an angle. Then proceed to build the second, higher ring of walls.

If you ever need to reposition the exit ramp, just lift up and remove the entire upper ring of walls as a single unit. They stay together nicely, and can be easily lifted up from the lower ring.

Don't forget the 2 battlements and 8 ladder pieces inside the tower. They serve as bumpers for the dice, to ensure they tumble.

Note: 16 of the battlements (8 on the middle level, and a matching 8 on the upper) are used solely for cosmetic effect. If you don't like how they look, or want to save your battlements, leave them off. I find they make it look a bit more castle-ish and improve the appearance, but they're not at all necessary.

Last edited by Typhon2222; February 14th, 2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old February 14th, 2012, 04:42 AM

onibaku06 is surprisingly tart

Typhoon, you are nothing short of a HS GENIUS!!!! I'd +rep you if I knew how to. I was just thinking about the dice tower that personwholives was using at our last tournament, and then you make this cool dice tower out of a single FotA. Well done!!! I know what I'm doing first thing in the morning.

Now, if you only we could incorperate the tower into the some of the maps at the upcoming ADAT tourny.

Seldom in life is the right thing to do and the easy thing to do one in the same.

-Unknown

Last edited by onibaku06; February 14th, 2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by onibaku06 View Post
Typhoon, you are nothing short of a HS GENIUS!!!! I'd +rep you if I knew how to.
At the top-right of each post is a small scale icon:

Clicking on that will bring you to the page where you may +rep someone (or -rep them if you are a site supporter).

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth

I can't rep you for this right now. Great idea!
Old February 14th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Now you just need to make a map that incorporates the FotA Dice Tower!

Yes...
Nyys, would you, could you? If anybody would and could, it would be you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I wonder if some glued on felt could be used. Using Elmers or something that could be washed off, even...
Huh, that's an idea. That would dampen some of the noise as the dice exit the tower and land on the tray. Sadly, though, I think more noise comes from the dice rattling and bouncing around inside the tower itself. Probably no way to pad that.

If anybody has ever owned or used one of those transparent all-plastic dice towers made by Chessex or other companies, I'd love to know how the noise compares. Looking at some of those, I would guess they're probably no quieter than this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrimson View Post
So freakin cool. I showed my sons (8 & 4 year olds) this and they are so excited to build one. We can't wait to see your instructions!
Oh neat, thanks for sharing. If you DO get a chance to build it, mrcrimson (or anybody else), I'd love to know how you find the construction. Are the construction notes in the OP (also in the PDF) sufficiently clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Finally something to do with your your extra Fortress set... Make your own dice tower!
We have extra FotA's but we don't need extra "yours".
Hah, good eyes! Correcting that duplicate typo now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed View Post
Also, do the dice ever fall into the spaces between the hexes in the tray so that they don't lie flat?
They do sometimes, for sure. But the channels separating the hexes aren't deep enough to ever leave the dice truly cocked. I mean, there's never any doubt as to which way the die is sitting. So should never lead to arguments.
Perhaps using the ice/water/shadow/swamp water tiles can eliminate that. Oh, btw, very nice dice tower.
Now that is a great idea. Hm. It would produce a totally smooth surface in the tray, and look amazing. I wonder: would that affect the battlements serving as a fence around the tray? -- if attached to flat tiles, does enough of the battlement extend below them to still grip the sides of the wall walk tiles underneath? I also suspect that, by raising the floor level of the tray relative to the exit ramp, the dice will have less momentum. Might lead them to stop marginally closer to the arch exit on average. Then again, those flat tiles surely produce less friction than the rough surface of wall walk tiles....

I must try it out. Would look awesome with black shadow tiles. Or, for a real touch of luxury, sparkly water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onibaku06 View Post
Now, if you only we could incorperate the tower into the some of the maps at the upcoming ADAT tourny.
Wanna try it, onibaku?
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:09 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

One of the best, most useful, and unique contributions to the community.

Great job!

EDIT:
Have to spread the love before I can +rep you
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:20 PM

Update....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed View Post
Also, do the dice ever fall into the spaces between the hexes in the tray so that they don't lie flat?
They do sometimes, for sure. But the channels separating the hexes aren't deep enough to ever leave the dice truly cocked. I mean, there's never any doubt as to which way the die is sitting. So should never lead to arguments.
Perhaps using the ice/water/shadow/swamp water tiles can eliminate that. Oh, btw, very nice dice tower.
Now that is a great idea. Hm. It would produce a totally smooth surface in the tray, and look amazing. I wonder: would that affect the battlements serving as a fence around the tray? -- if attached to flat tiles, does enough of the battlement extend below them to still grip the sides of the wall walk tiles underneath? I also suspect that, by raising the floor level of the tray relative to the exit ramp, the dice will have less momentum. Might lead them to stop marginally closer to the arch exit on average. Then again, those flat tiles surely produce less friction than the rough surface of wall walk tiles....

I must try it out. Would look awesome with black shadow tiles. Or, for a real touch of luxury, sparkly water?
I tried using black shadow tiles to cover the wall-walk tiles of the receiving tray. They can accommodate battlements.... But the battlements have the unfortunate side effect of clamping each shadow tile down at that side, causing the opposite edge to rise and lift. So all the shadow tiles buckle up in the center of the receiving tray, interfering with the dice movement. So I don't think that's an option. Good side, at least, is that it gives no incentive to include anything not found in a single FotA set.

One thing I did notice, however, was that the shadow tiles did reduce the noise of the dice exiting the tower and landing in the tray. Didn't expect that. Which makes me think....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I wonder if some glued on felt could be used. Using Elmers or something that could be washed off, even...
Huh, that's an idea. That would dampen some of the noise as the dice exit the tower and land on the tray. Sadly, though, I think more noise comes from the dice rattling and bouncing around inside the tower itself. Probably no way to pad that.
Felt padding might reduce the noise substantially.

Given how much of the allure of this tower comes from using nothing other than Heroscape castle pieces, at least for me, I don't think I'll be adding any external materials. Will be curious to see what others come up with though.

Last edited by Typhon2222; February 14th, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Get rid of the road tiles in the tray completely and replace them with double-stacked 0-level tiles.

(I didn't build the entire tower like that, but I tested it quickly, and the battlements lock them in place nicely.)

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Get rid of the road tiles in the tray completely and replace them with double-stacked 0-level tiles.

(I didn't build the entire tower like that, but I tested it quickly, and the battlements lock them in place nicely.)
Oooh, that's an idea.

But some of those wall-walk tiles are non-negotiable: they're part of the nine-hex tile.

Not saying it couldn't be done. Just would require a second FotA (or a RttFF) to get a few more single-hex wall-walk tiles. And of course, 8 water/shadow tiles.
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Christmas Custom Contest Champion

sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:

Oooh, that's an idea.

But some of those wall-walk tiles are non-negotiable: they're part of the nine-hex tile.

Not saying it couldn't be done. Just would require a second FotA (or a RttFF) to get a few more single-hex wall-walk tiles. And of course, 16 water/shadow tiles.
they are double stacked

2 time winner of the Gencon Team Tournament
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Special Attacks are severely modified by death.
Trade Thread Selling most of my collection!
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:

Oooh, that's an idea.

Not saying it couldn't be done. Just would require a second FotA (or a RttFF) to get a few more single-hex wall-walk tiles. And of course, 8 water/shadow tiles.
Well, if you're going to raid something for 0-level tiles anyways you could probably lift some single-hexers from the same set for some of the behind-the-scenes sections.

Molten lava would look pretty cool.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthflagbearer View Post
they are double stacked

Hey, you keep your facts away from me.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions