Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old April 2nd, 2015, 03:49 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Kinseth's Customs - Gnoll Faction the works.

Unfortunately the gnoll maruader, while abundant, is a painful outlier in that picture. Miniature limitations are really the worst sometimes.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 04:04 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
Unfortunately the gnoll maruader, while abundant, is a painful outlier in that picture. Miniature limitations are really the worst sometimes.
Lighting, digital Renders etc... I don't see much of an issue of it.

Shieldsmiths - Guy with a red cape on, none have a read cape.
Knights Blackgaard - Gold armor on ones Breastplate.
Dreadgul Raiders - Red armor'd dude
M-43 - Totally different outfits

Remember that Gnolls are Hyena-headed fur based humanoids. Think of Dogs, and the various shapes and colors they come in. Most gnolls have dirty yellow or reddish-brown fur. For them to look slightly different for a warband would be expected.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 05:36 PM

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

I think that wording works for the Gnoll Warchief. Upped the cost of the Gnolls to 50 and removed strategic bonding. Taking these into further playtesting.

Old April 2nd, 2015, 06:47 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I don't think Flanking is your best bet, thematically, and I'm not a fan of Warband Leadership. Why not something more savage in both cases?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 2nd, 2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I don't think Flanking is your best bet, thematically, and I'm not a fan of Warband Leadership. Why not something more savage in both cases?
Much of the design of the Gnolls is based on D&D lore. From the D&D Source Books.

Gnolls like to attack when they have the advantage of numbers, using horde tactics and their physical strength to overwhelm and knock down their opponents. They show little discipline when fighting unless they have a strong leader; at such times, they can maintain ranks and fight as a unit. While they do not usually prepare traps, they do use ambushes and try to attack from a flanking position. .

I feel like several of the powers are fairly thematic. Though Flanking works , it can be a pain as you have to remind your opponent when flanking is happening. I wouldn't mind a better power to better illustrate this tactic.

I am open to suggestions, though I feel pretty god about the Warband Leadership, and I like how he plays with the squad and his interaction. Really feels like a big bad hero who really only gets his hands dirty when he knows he is going to come out ahead.

Old April 2nd, 2015, 07:12 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Sure, in Gnolls flank in D&D, but everybody flanks in D&D; D&D gives bonuses across the board for flanking, so it's not really a special thing that Gnolls have.

FWIW, Scytale has an excellent Gnoll faction already. If your intentions are to get some Gnolls into fanscape, why not playtest and submit his faction?

--
--
--

--
Old April 2nd, 2015, 07:29 PM

Gnolls and Flanking go back as far as 2nd Edition DND. Though I don't have a 2nd edition manual on me to check out what tactics of other monsters are to see if they mimic Gnolls. This page here illustrates the nature of Gnolls over the history of DND.

I have about 2 pages in a word doc with powers for Gnolls that I thought of. Perhaps there might be something better to use instead of Flanking to illustrate their ability to gang up on an opponent.

@Scytale I haven't looked at his Gnoll Faction before. I would assume if he had intentions of submitting them to SoV he would have done so already?

As you know Caps, I take my customs seriously. I normally design with the intentions of SoV, but that doesn't mean I always come up with an end product that I feel worthy to submit to SoV. So most of the time(Recently, not my early work) when you see a custom posted on my thread I am working on it towards the end idea of submitting to SoV.

Old April 2nd, 2015, 07:36 PM

Scytale never intends to submit any of his customs to SoV, despite the fact that many of them are very high-caliber and would be worthy submissions. I guess he prefers for others to like them enough to submit them. I personally would love to see fans submit more of his work.

--
--
--

--
Old April 3rd, 2015, 01:49 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

@Caps Certainly your advice applies to yourself? Is there any internal rule that prohibits you from submitting more of his work if you feel like they are quality enough? I also don't know how productive it is to suggest to someone within their design workshopping thread that they stop work on their concepts and just use someone else's work.

@The 'King' I really like the Warband as a 3 man squad. I agree with the others who have said the double extra man bonus seemed a little off for various reasons. I don't mind the flanking as a power, I like the strategic advantage it adds. The 3rd man figure doesn't feel inherently out of place to me, but I'm not the pickiest. When sizing them, I would really consider them as a 4 man squad with 6-1-3-3 with flanking so to me they compare to Heavies or Cultists in some ways.

Ragsh feels really strong and thematic to me with the gnolls. Above when I considered them a 4 man squad, you really have to take his total point value into effect to get that 4 man status, so he absorbs some of the cost. Morgoloth seems like a pretty strong comparison point with very similar stats.

I don't think the Shaman is that bad (point total not finalized obviously) but that ability to give everyone within 4 a battle frenzy type power is frankly amazing. I almost think the aura should be dropped to 3, but I think more testing is in line for that.

The archer scares me a little as in being too strong as a ranged bonder with the ability to get a double attack. Dreadguls and Guilty have shown what a normal middling ranged figure can do with a bonding unit and this guy has a semblance of double attack too, so I think that needs to be carefully balanced as well.

All in all I think they are potent and look like a lot of fun as a new bonding faction that brings some new things to the table. I do think they need some more polishing and that right now the sum of the their faction powers are too busy (X OM reveals, flanking, battle frenzying, double attacking triggers, etc....) But that also could be lack of familiarity with these units. Heavies have a lot going on to with multiple hero auras and disengagements, but they are just well known..Keep up the good work! Really have had fun playing with these so far.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:05 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Interesting. I like Overwhelm as a combined power. Does the defending figure subtract defense dice from both attacks, or just the first? I really like the idea of Warband Leadership but I am concerned it will present subtle rules problems having to do with the structure of turns. Hmm.

Kevindola's post is encouraging; it looks like you're headed in the right direction here.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Interesting. I like Overwhelm as a combined power. Does the defending figure subtract defense dice from both attacks, or just the first? I really like the idea of Warband Leadership but I am concerned it will present subtle rules problems having to do with the structure of turns. Hmm.

Kevindola's post is encouraging; it looks like you're headed in the right direction here.
Overwhelm - Only the 2nd attack would put the opponent at a penalty.

As for Warband Leadership - I think there *Could* be a corner case, such as vs Counterstrike or vs Frost Giant(Should the Frost Giant end up killing Warchief with Dying Swipe after the 1st attack of a Warband.) The wording should probably be done in a way to say when revealing an Order Marker, or at the start of the turn?

Old April 3rd, 2015, 06:32 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post

As for Warband Leadership - I think there *Could* be a corner case, such as vs Counterstrike or vs Frost Giant(Should the Frost Giant end up killing Warchief with Dying Swipe after the 1st attack of a Warband.) The wording should probably be done in a way to say when revealing an Order Marker, or at the start of the turn?
Just brainstorming ... do you think that Warband Leadership should be on the Retchtongue's card?

Like:

WARBAND
When taking a turn with Retchtongue Warband squad, if you control a Gnoll Chieftan, you may move and attack with one additional Retchtongue Warband figure.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards