Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old October 18th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

I'm currently reading Social Network Analysis: Methods and Applications by Wasserman and Faust...and wishing I weren't. I can't wait for the holidays when I'll finally have time to read fiction again.
Old October 19th, 2010, 04:34 PM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker

Reading the 9th book in the Rangers Apprentice Series, by John Flanagan.
My dad and I are obsessed with that series. Oh, the title is Halt's Peril.
Old October 19th, 2010, 07:26 PM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker

Re-reading George RR Martin's Wild Cards for about the millionth time.

Just finished Acqua Alta by Donna Leon.

Story was a bit meh, characterisation is sharp, and you can almost hear Venice in the background while you're reading, it's that well described.

CRC

CRC's Maps: please consider using one of my maps. I'd love the feedback.

Old October 19th, 2010, 07:49 PM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex worker View Post
Starting "The Road". Has anyone read it?
Old post, but this is a highly emotional book, delivered in a deadpan descriptive style (which suits the whole theme). This book is simply a minor masterpiece.

http://www.cormacmccarthy.com/works/theroad.htm

Give it a try - especially if you like post apocolyptic fiction like:
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Earth Abides
The Stand
I am Legend (the book, NOT the c***tacular movie)

CRC

CRC's Maps: please consider using one of my maps. I'd love the feedback.

Old October 19th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Uniquest Hero and Classic Drafter 2008

Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRedChops View Post
CRC
Good short read! If you want a more faithful film adaptation, check out "The Last Man on Earth" from 1964 starring Vincent Price. If you're into zombie flicks, this film was said to have influenced Romero's landmark "Night of the Living Dead".

But definitely read the story first. It's short, so you have no excuse
Old October 19th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Bot Bloodhound

Fen_Hydra has disabled reputation

I'm now reading some of the Artemis Fowl series.

My favorite parts are just the complexity and genius of his plans. (Also there are some funny parts.)
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:26 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen_Hydra View Post
I'm now reading some of the Artemis Fowl series.

My favorite parts are just the complexity and genius of his plans. (Also there are some funny parts.)
I tried reading these when I was younger. They were a great concept, and I enjoyed what I read of them, but for some reason I didn't finish any of them. I still got the first four on my bookshelf, maybe someday when I don't have to worry about homework, I will get around to reading them.

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I read a couple of Dan Abnett's Warhammer 40K books about a month ago. I just finished The Princess Bride for the first time. Now I am working on Wizard's First Rule. The Warhammer 40K universe just fascinates me, and Abnett can write a good story. The Princess Bride was a fun read, but I think at the end of the day, I like the movie better. They are both good in different ways. The stuff I liked about the book wouldn't have translated to the movie. I'm enjoying Wizard's First Rule. I'm not that far into it, but I like what I see so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Lawnmower View Post
Reading the 9th book in the Rangers Apprentice Series, by John Flanagan.
My dad and I are obsessed with that series. Oh, the title is Halt's Peril.
I've been confiscating the Ranger's Apprentice books and flashlights from my son the last week or so.
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Got a collection of 7 Jules Verne novels. I plan on reading From the Earth to the Moon first. The concept of launching a spaceship into orbit via super cannon is an interesting idea, however ridiculous and impractical it may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRedChops View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex worker View Post
Starting "The Road". Has anyone read it?
Old post, but this is a highly emotional book, delivered in a deadpan descriptive style (which suits the whole theme). This book is simply a minor masterpiece.

http://www.cormacmccarthy.com/works/theroad.htm

Give it a try - especially if you like post apocolyptic fiction like:
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Earth Abides
The Stand

CRC
The Road is a great book. I very much recommend it.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
The Road is a great book. I very much recommend it.
Seconded.

Old October 20th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
I've been confiscating the Ranger's Apprentice books and flashlights from my son the last week or so.
*chuckle* I didn't know parents did that. We figure if he wants to read so badly that he'll do it under the covers by flashlight, we just let him.

Finished Kevin Baker's Dreamland, a meticulously researched historical fiction set in 1910(ish) Lower East Side & Coney Island. Absolutely loaded with faithfully drawn historical figures and it tells a great story.

I've now started And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander. I was in a bookstore and had money in my pocket so I actually paid for this one & a couple others, instead of going to the library, so I hope it's good. Supposedly it's a mystery and I think I'm beginning to get to it but after the first couple of chapters there is a *very* interesting parallel with Pride and Prejudice, which I'll discuss in a spoiler tag so as not to bore people more than I may already have.

Spoiler Alert!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; October 24th, 2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:13 AM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The Children of Hurin by J.R.R. Tolkein.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books