Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old December 31st, 2007, 08:03 PM

RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby!
HeroScapeWiki - Here to Stay!

www.HeroScapeWiki.com

Powered by MediaWiki (same engine as Wikipedia) HeroScape Wiki is intended to provide static pages of information for Scapers, in particular easy-to-find synergies between units. (for example, finding Valiant units)

So far the Templar Calvary are started, notice the category listings at the bottom. Please follow this as a template. http://heroscapewiki.com/index.php?t...emplar_Calvary

From reading on these forums I've heard that the problem in the past with wikis was that they did not stick around. I'm addressing that in a couple ways:

1) This is on a corporate server. Not going to go away on a whim.

2) I've already committed resources in the form of server space and a domain name.

3) This wiki will be a labor of love, but will aim for self-sufficiency. Sponsors (Google adwords/banners) will be the only source; case donations will not be accepted so as not to interfere with Heroscapers.com's support. Conference exclusives will be accepted, though

A few notes:

1) Log in is required to edit pages. Please use your heroscapers.com username if you can.

2) For now all users can edit; later this will be restricted to just a few to keep spam out and minimize the number of cooks in the kitchen. This is to be a database of info, not a discussion board anyway.

3) No customs, just official units. It would be nice to get playtested (Tried and True) units their own section, eventually.

4) It would be nice for unit pages to look like the "Books" Format. Marvel synergy should be a separate subcategory on the page from Classic Synergy, but both should be available to viewers on the same page.

Let me know any thoughts, feedback questions, etc. I know I'm defying my own rule, but as admin of the wiki I am going by the name of "Reason" over there...

[/u]
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:41 PM

whipmaster is surprisingly tart
this is a good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
YOU don't seem very good.
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:56 PM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker
No, it's not. I think we should keep it all in one place and if your looking for synergy: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=8390 The best there is! *courtesy of Ryougabot*

Plus, I've heard a few things about Penguins and Machine guns there.

See Valhalla like never before:
Airborne Elite in the
BYZANTINE CAVE...
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:24 PM

Elshar is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaknight
No, it's not. I think we should keep it all in one place
I think it's cool. I haven't even bothered reading most of the 'books' because I can't sort the data at all. Just randomly ordered postings based on who posted in that particular book thread. And then there's other thread totally unrelated. The wiki would at least be an attempt to organize the chaos.
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:28 PM

RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby!
True, but not everyone prefers visual charts.

With the wiki you can be looking at, say, the 4th Mass' page. You can click on "Valiant" in the description of their defense bonus and see all units with the "Valiant" personality.

This could be a repository for other info as well.

This is not a "heroscapers.com" project, but an independent yet cooperative/complimentary effort - filling in a tiny gap that this site doesn't offer.

Forums aren't generally the best repositories for data that doesn't change, such as unit information and errata, nor do they do well for organizing said info. They excel (as this one does) for providing interactive environments, promulgating new news, and facilitating communication.

Personally I'm getting tired of having to use the Google search to find the strategy guides for certain units... and then having to look up additional info as well.

Forums are not equal to wikis; they serve a very different purpose. You can pretend it doesn't exist if you want... or you can help out.

I opened my first pack of Romans today - my first bonding units. Then had to go through all my cards looking for "Warlord"s .. if I searched for the book, I had to sift through search results that included unrelated posts since the search results and the order of threads in the forum are based on popularity and how recent the latest replies were.
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:32 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I don't use Wikis or the strategy guides for that matter but do realize the amount of work that goes into both...good luck with your project Rage Angel
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:56 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
I'll help. I don't have much else to do.
Old December 31st, 2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara
I don't use Wikis or the strategy guides for that matter but do realize the amount of work that goes into both...good luck with your project Rage Angel
For me the worst is over. My server didn't like MediaWiki but it's the most visually appealing and familiar to most people. But the install is done now...

Thanks for the support!
Old January 1st, 2008, 12:47 AM

Ok, fixed up the Templar Knights page a bit more. I like the directory style listing that someone put up at the top, but we might want to make them link to the categories. Of course, since category links are at the bottom, the top links could take visitors to the general information page; for instance, "Jandar" in the top link takes you to the page about Jandar, the category link at the bottom takes you to a list of all units that fight for Jandar.

Also, there are a lot of categories for each figure, but that will allow it to me automatically indexed. We don't need a category for each letter of the alphabet though.

Right now the categories are:

Fights For
Type of Unit
Personality
Race
Description (Knight/Warlord/Sentinel)
Size
Wave (as: Wave 7 - Fields of Valor)
Expansion Pack: (Expansion- Knights Templar) [taken from hasbro's offical description of the pack - not so useful with the Templars, but will be for Hero packs.]
Old January 1st, 2008, 01:38 AM

We could use a logo... 135x135, transparent png would look best.

Happy New Year!
Old January 1st, 2008, 04:28 AM

Elshar is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageAngel
Ok, fixed up the Templar Knights page a bit more. I like the directory style listing that someone put up at the top, but we might want to make them link to the categories.
Yea, I thought that might be a good way to organize units. Maybe not though, so I only did it to the Templars to see how it'd look and if anyone would revert or remove it. I also added a category or two at the bottom, but I don't think it's such a big deal. Might want to add a categories for specific types of special abilities, like bonding, counter-attack, etc.

Also need to come up with a good contents page for the main page. I think I have a good idea, and I'll try to work it out over the next few days. I'm usually good with coming up with contents tables.
Old January 1st, 2008, 10:07 AM

I developed the pages linked to at the top for now...

For anyone who wants to know - links to categories go like this (note the initial colon):

[[:Category:Fights for Jandar]]

To add the current article you are editing to a category, use [[Category:Fights for Jandar]]

To link to the article on Jandar, do this:

[[Jandar]]

Categories for popular abilities might be good, but maybe we should add those later and focus on getting everything in and organized by faction, personality, size, etc.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News