Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old November 13th, 2014, 10:12 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!
Uncommon Squads?

What exactly would happen if they added uncommon squads? Same as uncommon heroes, you can have mutiple, but must keep track of them. What would happen? Like let's say you've got 5x Airborne Elite? Game changer? Maybe, mabye not. I think so, because image a player with mutiple squads of the same most feared uniques. That will change the game.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old November 13th, 2014, 10:16 PM

Lucace knows what's in an order marker Lucace knows what's in an order marker
Re: Uncommon Squads?

I think that is a good Idea I will have to try it sometime
Old November 14th, 2014, 02:07 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I think the reason it never happened is that there's not much benefit. Uncommon heroes allowed them to do something that can't be done otherwise - to have multiples of the same multi-life hero in an army. You can already have a bunch of the same squad figures in an army. It's called a common squad.

But sure - if you wanted to do uncommon squads, you could break out a big pack of colored stickers and knock yourself out. Setting aside how awesome a couple of the unique squads are, uncoomon-ness doesn't really break anything when applied to squads.
Old November 14th, 2014, 02:36 AM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I once forgot that Marro Warriors were unique--that sure didn't pan out well for the enemy.

Still, when I think of uncommons, I think more of common figures with multiple life. It's not a bad idea, but keeping track of individual squads' life would be a lot of work if there were "uncommon" squads with multiple life each.

I guess the closest we have to that is the Exoskeletons and ReDündant Systems on the Mezzodemons and Incendiborgs, so it's not too much of a outlandish idea.

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old November 14th, 2014, 09:14 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
I once forgot that Marro Warriors were unique--that sure didn't pan out well for the enemy.
I once let my son play with double Marro Warriors...it wasn't pretty for me and that was only with one extra squad.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I think the reason it never happened is that there's not much benefit. Uncommon heroes allowed them to do something that can't be done otherwise - to have multiples of the same multi-life hero in an army. You can already have a bunch of the same squad figures in an army. It's called a common squad.

But sure - if you wanted to do uncommon squads, you could break out a big pack of colored stickers and knock yourself out. Setting aside how awesome a couple of the unique squads are, uncoomon-ness doesn't really break anything when applied to squads.
This.

I will add that the administrative bookkeeping for uncommon heroes would be a bit of a departure from the simplicity of the Heroscape system. There is also the fact that knocking one figure out of each squad would nerf the value and effectiveness of each in a way that doesn't happen with common squads. Where uncommon heroes let you do something cool and different with units, uncommon heroes just don't make a lot of thematic sense.
Old November 14th, 2014, 02:29 PM

Seraph knows what's in an order marker Seraph knows what's in an order marker Seraph knows what's in an order marker

Hydra, golem, and other uncommon heroes should have just been common heroes in my opinion. Maybe they'd need point values just a little higher

Edit: actually I just realized that multi life is the problem
Old November 14th, 2014, 05:54 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
Hydra, golem, and other uncommon heroes should have just been common heroes in my opinion. Maybe they'd need point values just a little higher

I don't mind that there are uncommon heroes. Maybe a way to house rule it would be to make them unique, but lower the cost since you couldn't have multiples. Just thinking, here.
Old November 15th, 2014, 09:07 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1998 View Post
Quote:

I don't mind that there are uncommon heroes. Maybe a way to house rule it would be to make them unique, but lower the cost since you couldn't have multiples. Just thinking, here.
That's an interesting idea. I'm not saying that it's a great idea in terms of balance, but let's say you adjust the Fen Hydra down just 20 points. I could now use the Hydra as a 100 point filler unit - just the same as the Krav Maga Agents. Though their uses are quite different, who's to say that one is a more useful 100 pt draft than the other.

Along similar lines, one of the main reasons I don't draft the Iron Golem too often (aside from the infrequency of games nowadays!) is that there are better choices for the same or lower cost, which can fill diverse rolls.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old November 15th, 2014, 09:16 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate the dawg View Post
Quote:
Quote:

That's an interesting idea. I'm not saying that it's a great idea in terms of balance, but let's say you adjust the Fen Hydra down just 20 points. I could now use the Hydra as a 100 point filler unit - just the same as the Krav Maga Agents. Though their uses are quite different, who's to say that one is a more useful 100 pt draft than the other.

Along similar lines, one of the main reasons I don't draft the Iron Golem too often (aside from the infrequency of games nowadays!) is that there are better choices for the same or lower cost, which can fill diverse rolls.

I think Iron Golem is very much a niche kind of unit. Only because of iron resolve. He is a very good counter to certain special attack reliant such as the majors. But I agree, other than that, IG isn't worth too much.

If you're not rolling for Stinger Drain, you're not living.
Old November 15th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

He's a pretty cheap way to get in an attack6/defense6 hero, so I never discount him. Of course, it obviously goes without saying that not all the D&D figures were created equal.

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old November 16th, 2014, 02:23 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I believe @Grungebob stated once that uncommon heroes were not priced any differently than unique heroes.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion