Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old October 8th, 2009, 09:10 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Just ask the DnD community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
GL you would be surprised at how many D&D people already know about our game and choose not to play it because its "not D&D."
Its probably true, especially after reading your second paragraph. If* DnD's draw is long games then I won't be surprised by the responses I'll get. I'm hoping for more than a "its not DnD" type answer. I could go look up the rules and get the facts and stuff like that, but I value their opinions more than their rule books.

If every member on this site told why they love HS so much more than DnD I'm sure we'd have more answers than "It's not DnD".

I can tell you that I love the Order Marker system, the strange combinations of characters, and the terrain that I don't need to make. So, now I'm interested in what appeals to a DnDer and why they chose it over HS or any other minis game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
Considering we're dealing with socially awkward geeks here.
I'd like to avoid this stereotype as much as possible. It simply isn't true. My Rugby coach played DnD, trust me he was not socially awkward, but who doesn't have a little geek in them?

*I say "if" because I have never played DnD, and therefore have no experiences with it.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:16 PM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

To preemptively answer your question, my favorite part of the game is the nearly limitless possibilities for map design that increases every time there's another new terrain expansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:19 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcurse View Post

I think you just want to b***h about another DnD thread.
Since when have you known me not to ***** about something I want to ***** about straight out?

PS since we were on the subject of Star Wars collectors....if you are one and have a little kid you need to get them one of these...

Warning: It smeels pretty bad inside but it will keep them from freezing to death.
That...is...to COOL! Wow, man, I'm speechless. Thanks for the pic.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:21 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
To preemptively answer your question, my favorite part of the game is the nearly limitless possibilities for map design that increases every time there's another new terrain expansion.

DnD ...even with the miniatures is a game played in your mind more so then on a board. If they can dream the terrain then they can have the terrain in their game.

Old folks like me played DnD when you really only had some graph paper, penicls and dice..that was it...everything else was role-playing "conversation" (for lack of a better term)...its not a board game...it goes far beyond that.

Heroscape has the appeal it does beacuse it is a boardgame but it is not limited to a square/rectangle board thats the same every game.
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:24 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:

DnD ...even with the miniatures is a game played in your mind more so then on a board. If they can dream the terrain then they can have the terrain in their game.

Old folks like me played DnD when you really only had some graph paper, penicls and dice..that was it...everything else was role-playing "conversation" (for lack of a better term)...its not a board game...it goes far beyond that.

Heroscape has the appeal it does beacuse it is a boardgame but it is not limited to a square/rectangle board thats the same every game.

Pfft, graph paper, you playin' like a tween in the eighties. IN my day we played without books, or dice or table...and we liked it!

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post
Quote:
I'd like to avoid this stereotype as much as possible. It simply isn't true. My Rugby coach played DnD, trust me he was not socially awkward, but who doesn't have a little geek in them?
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I kind of figured that a lot of D&D'ers that regularly get on their forums fall under that category, but it was admittedly stupid of me to assume that.

If we want to make a convincing argument that D&D'ers should try 'Scape, I believe more study may be in order. Perhaps we should start by asking D&D players here why they like 'Scape...

So, Onacara, with your infinite knowledge of the D&D fanbase, what, if anything, would draw them to 'Scape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:43 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I kind of figured that a lot of D&D'ers that regularly get on their forums fall under that category, but it was admittedly stupid of me to assume that.

If we want to make a convincing argument that D&D'ers should try 'Scape, I believe more study may be in order. Perhaps we should start by asking D&D players here why they like 'Scape...

So, Onacara, with your infinite knowledge of the D&D fanbase, what, if anything, would draw them to 'Scape?
The folks who would want to play it are those that like boardgames as much as they like playing D&D. It's the same with any other game....MTG...Warhammer....console gamers. If thats the only gaming you do then Heroscape is not going to appeal to you. Oddly enough you will find that alot of people who do not play board games actually own quite a bit of Heroscape but use the terrain and/or figures for their own game. At GenCon last year there were 2 different games being played on Scape terrain that I witnessed. The 3D terrain appeals to them...nice prepainted minis appeals to them...the game mechanics don't.
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
At GenCon last year there were 2 different games being played on Scape terrain that I witnessed. The 3D terrain appeals to them...nice prepainted minis appeals to them...the game mechanics don't.
Damn them for using good HS terrain I could have sitting around collecting dust!

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Drives for Utgar

Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think you just want to b***h about another DnD thread.
Since when have you known me not to ***** about something I want to ***** about straight out?

PS since we were on the subject of Star Wars collectors....if you are one and have a little kid you need to get them one of these...

Warning: It smeels pretty bad inside but it will keep them from freezing to death.
That...is...to COOL! Wow, man, I'm speechless. Thanks for the pic.
If they made this in my size I would get it in a heart beat. Do you have a link for info on this, please and thank you.

I would rather bite the belly of the beast as it swallows me whole then run from it!
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:25 PM
has been BANNED

www.thinkgeek.com
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Drives for Utgar

Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Thats why your one of the best. Thank you again. +Rep

I would rather bite the belly of the beast as it swallows me whole then run from it!
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:55 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

I don't see any harm in going over to some D&D forums (I'm sure there are many, unlike Heroscape) and explaining why we love this game so much. A quick overview of the rules, terrain system and business model might be informative for some of them. I doubt that they all know about 'Scape already. I also doubt that all those who have heard of 'Scape and don't already play are dead set against trying it.

It would also be a (admittedly unscientific) way to gauge whether or not any of them will be willing to try it out as a replacement for the D&D Skirmish game that was recently discontinued. I say go for it, GL.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion