Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old July 18th, 2019, 04:11 PM

Jaur0n is surprisingly tart
Re: [Pod 1] UNIT NAME (Gideon Jura, Combat Mage) - Design

I assume it has to do with wanting tether to have a fairly high chance of success and trying to balance it around both units attempting to run near it and units previously tethered who would now have to roll multiple times to escape it. Or I am missing something else.
Old July 18th, 2019, 04:33 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaur0n View Post
I assume it has to do with wanting tether to have a fairly high chance of success and trying to balance it around both units attempting to run near it and units previously tethered who would now have to roll multiple times to escape it. Or I am missing something else.
Yeah, I want it to be a high chance. I would agree it's not that interesting if it wasn't.
Old July 18th, 2019, 04:46 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Some clarifications:

The intent with the current wording for ToL is that, after this figure stops an enemy's movement, you have the option to pull them into engagement. In other words, you can prevent an opponent from using the pull to their advantage by simply electing not to move them.

Additionally, the current wording only allows you to roll for the power once per figure per turn. If a figure were to avoid the Tether and then move onto another space affected by it, you would not roll again to grab them. So you wouldn't get to roll multiple times no matter what, but I imagine we'll be having a fairly low roll in order to succeed.

All that to say, I agree that OM management with this figure could be tricky. That isn't a bad thing, though. Not every defender can do everything that makes a unit excel in the role. But this unit, placed in front of a ranged pod or positioned in a map's main pathway could be very effective. I expect that ToL is a power that will not activate often not because its ineffective, but because it's threat of activation will force the opponent to change how they play. That means it can be used either to deny a not insignificant area of the map to your opponent, or it can be used to prevent figures from leaving engagement with this unit even if those figures have disengage.

That combination means that an opponent will have to think very carefully about even letting you roll for ToL at all. Sure, if you miss then they can just charge right in. But if you succeed, not only is that figure stuck in engagement, it's going to have to go up against the d20 roll again if it wants to attempt to escape. All this to say, I think 2 range is the best place to take this guy to testing at. If he proves dismally unusuable at that number, we can consider taking ToL up to 3 range. At a glance, though, that number seems dangerously high for a starting point.
Old July 19th, 2019, 01:01 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Not sure on D20 number, maybe <=10 or >=11 (50%) chance to start, but I wouldn't mind getting rid of D20 altogether as Cyberclaw and Tactical Switch don't have a D20 and they are similar in keeping opponent engaged and putting them on lower terrain if possible. We can test at 2 range with 50% D20, and if under-performs, either increase range to 3 or get rid of D20 roll all-together.
Old July 19th, 2019, 11:37 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Personally I'd prefer without a d20, but moving an opponent's unit in this way is pretty disruptive to do so automatically. I definitely think it should be higher than 50%. This should be likely, likely enough that opponents will assume it will happen unless they're desperate. I'd start at 7+.
Old July 20th, 2019, 12:27 AM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I like having a d20 roll just so that the opponent might actually risk triggering it sometimes, and so the power isn’t just a strictly better version of the Air Elemental. I agree keeping the odds above 50% is ideal, though.
Old July 22nd, 2019, 10:10 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@Scytale & @All Your Pie makes sense to have D20 with high % to add some strategic decisions on opponent's end (kinda like reverse tactical disengagement). 7+ is 70% so seems good. test at 2 range and try to get stated.

FYI I am busy the next month with MBA but afterward will be able to test more.
Old August 19th, 2019, 10:57 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Bumping this guy. Just gonna repeat my wish for a Jandar gladiator!
Old August 21st, 2019, 05:51 PM

I've updated the OP, since things seemed to be fairly well-agreed upon where we left it. Dienekes for the name and 7+ for Tether of Logos.

All that's left is to decide on price before we have a design we can bring to testing. I'm thinking sub-100 here. 80-90ish, maybe?
Old August 21st, 2019, 06:16 PM

90 feels about right. Offense is low, but survivability is high and the powers are good.
Old September 29th, 2019, 04:03 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Re: [Pod 1] DIENEKES (Gideon Jura, Combat Mage) - Design

Bumping this lad. How are we feeling about him?
Old September 30th, 2019, 12:30 AM

Re: [Pod 1] DIENEKES (Gideon Jura, Combat Mage) - Design

Hm, I didn’t realize how much we’d done here. Updated OP with 90 for point cost and 7+ for Tether of Logos.

As I recall there were still some reservations, but those can’t be properly addressed until we get into testing. So I think we can move this along.

I propose we move to Editing. An to do so from me.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs