Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

View Poll Results: Which squad of Archers do you think is better?
Aubrien Archers 34 75.56%
Tagawa Samurai Archers 11 24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 25th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Unit Debate #8 -- Aubrien Archers Vs. Tagawa Samurai Archers

Archers! Aim your arrows!

This week's unit debate is between the frenzy-firing Aubrien Archers and the counter-striking Tagawa Samurai Archers. Who to your think has the better aim?

Compare the units by looking at thier:

1. Stats/Special Powers

2. Playability

3. Overall Usefullness

4. Who Would Win Head-To-Head

5. Army Builds

6. Best Strategic Use

Here is a hint for next week's debate: (You can guess.)

Spoiler Alert!

MegaSilver

Last edited by MegaSilver; July 25th, 2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old July 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Unit Debate #8 -- Abrien Archers Vs. Tagawa Samurai Arch

Aubrien Archers for sure. A ranged squad with counterstrike, and with only 3 defense, or a ranged squad with frenzy (and one more range).

Tough decision.

Last edited by Warlord Alpha; July 25th, 2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old July 25th, 2009, 01:58 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I've taken both to tournaments. 3-2 with Aubriens, 2-3 with Tagawa's, and the Aubriens are more fun IMO, so I tip my scale towards them.

-insert signature here-
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

I definitely like the Aubriens better. IMO, counter strike is not usually going to do anything, unless the Rats are attacking them. The Aubrien's frenzy can really do damage. Plus, they are 5 points cheaper, (now you can add Isamu )

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:44 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

What the heck are Abrien Archers?

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
What the heck are Abrien Archers?
Typo fixed. Thanks for noticing that.

MegaSilver
Old July 25th, 2009, 03:06 PM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker
Re: Unit Debate #8 -- Aubrien Archers Vs. Tagawa Samurai Arc

While the Aubriens do have a better ability on paper, the samurai's ability is more reliable. They also have 1 extra defense, which crosses the 2-3 threshold for defense. Id say the samurai have a slight advantage.
Old July 25th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creationist View Post
While the Aubriens do have a better ability on paper, the samurai's ability is more reliable. They also have 1 extra defense, which crosses the 2-3 threshold for defense. Id say the samurai have a slight advantage.
But you forget, these are RANGED SQUADS. If you are rolling for counter strike, there is a serious problem.

And about the reliability of Frenzy, that's what Mittens is for.
Old July 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Well, I havent played the elves yet. However, the samurai archers leave a bit to be desired. Counting on three defense counterstrike is not very reliable at all either. In my experience I have been underwhelmed with the samurais performance everytime so far.

As a base unit, I would lean to wards the elves. Both units have decent support units that can really help (raelin or mittens). I would imagine that they play fairly different. Elves seem much more offensive, humans seem more defensive.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old July 25th, 2009, 04:20 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Stats/Special Powers.

Aubriens have one more range. Samurai have one more defense. Aubriens have frenzy. Samurai have counterstrike.

Even. Possible slight edge to Aubriens.

Playability

Both are fairly easy to stick two or three squads into any army.

Even.

Overall Usefulness

The Aubriens are your typical ranged squad with potential for multiple movement. The Tagawas are a ranged squad that does well when it's in melee.

Slight edge to Aubriens.

Who would win head to head.

In a ranged duel, matchup calculator says...

Tagawas win about 51% of the time. It's about 60% if in melee. (Although the Aubriens gain the edge if they're given Mittens)

Slight edge to the Tagawas.

Army builds

Aubriens paired with Mittens and maybe some other elves/vipers.

Tagawas with Kaemon Awa, Samurai squads, and maybe Kato (although he works better with Ashigaru)

Neither army is particularly great, but I think that the Aubrien army is better.

Edge Aubriens

Strategies.

Aubriens it's pretty much run and gun.

Tagawas are better served encamping an area forcing the enemy to either engage them from afar or rush in and counterstrike.

Even.

All in all, it's a tough choice for me, but I think that the Aubriens win out barely due to the fact that once Mittens is involved, they become a lot beter and any army with Aubriens is going to have Mittens.
Old July 25th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Aubriens benefit from direct synergy with mittens, and frenzy is much more usefull than counterstrike. Counterstrike can be avoided and worked around, frenzy can not, unless you steal the D20.
Tagawa have no direct synergy with anyone, except the flagbearer, who is considered the weakest of the bunch. For that matter, Arcolarth benifits the Aubriens and is more usefull.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old July 25th, 2009, 05:46 PM

padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby!

I don't think either are all that great, but I suppose that if facing a melee foe, the Samurai backed by Raelin would be pretty formidable. They'd most likely have height (due to having range) and so would be an effective 3 attack, 6 defense squad of 3 with counterstrike.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units