Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 5th, 2014, 02:41 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: HeroScape / Risk mashup

I think it would be a good optional rule, and probably could be left out for the initial testing.

It could be fun later though just right now it would over complicate things.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old July 5th, 2014, 11:43 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I talked to my brother in law today, he wasn't interested in trying this. It would take an extremely long time for us to do it. I'd still like to keep an eye on this thread, though. If I had the time to do this I totally would. I suppose I'll just be a cheerleader!
Old July 5th, 2014, 11:44 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hey, on a slightly technical note, should this thread not be in the "Other Customization and HS Additions" category? That would make more sense to me, but I'm not anybody with any real knowledge so I could be completely off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
I talked to my brother in law today, he wasn't interested in trying this. It would take an extremely long time for us to do it. I'd still like to keep an eye on this thread, though. If I had the time to do this I totally would. I suppose I'll just be a cheerleader!
Nothing's wrong with releasing your inner Raelin, Brandon

Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old July 6th, 2014, 09:14 AM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Yes, this should go into "Other Customization," does anyone know how to move a thread into a different forum?

So I re-did the rules, trying to get it as simple as possible. Let me know what you think, and thanks for all your input!

HeroScapeRisk is a mashup of, well, Heroscape and Risk.

2P: Jandar - Utgar
3P: Jandar - Vydar - Utgar
4P: Two teams (Jandar and either Aquilla or Einar, vs. Utgar and either Marr or Valkrill)

Object

The first player to occupy an opponent's Homeland wins the game. In a team game, both opponent's Homelands must be occupied. Players can also agree at the beginning of the game to play a certain number of rounds, the player with the most points wins. Score VPs the way you calculate summoning.

Setup
Each player begins with 20 Army Tokens. Each Army Token is worth 25 Army Card points (so, each player begins with the equivalent of a 500 point army.) Place all your Army Tokens on your Homeland.

Put 7 permanent glyphs and 8 treasure glyphs in a draw bag.

Roll for initiative.

Turn Order

On your turn, you will Summon, then Attack and Explore, then Fortify.

1) Summon. The territories you control generate Army Tokens.

Your own Homeland generates 4.
Any other Homeland you control generates 3.
A territory with a Wellspring generates 2.
Any other territory generates 1.

There's an additional Alliance bonus:

If you're playing Jandar, and you control Einar, Aquilla, and Ullar, you get 4 extra tokens.
If you're playing Utgar, and you control Marr and Valkrill, you get 3 extra tokens.
If you're playing Vydar, and you control one at least one "good" and one "evil" Homeland, you get 2 extra tokens. If you control two of each, you get 4 extra tokens.

In a team game, a Good player gets 2 tokens if Good players control all 4 Good Homelands. An Evil player gets 2 tokens if Evil players control all 3 Evil Homelands and Vydar.

Place your summoned tokens on any territory you control.

2) Attack / Explore. During this phase, you can Attack and Explore as many times as you want.

a) Attack. You can attack any adjacent territory, using regular Risk rules. As in regular Risk, you cannot abandon a territory.

In a team game, if multiple players' armies are present in a territory, they're considered to be one army. Whoever wins the roll decides which player's armies are eliminated.

Once per turn, if both the attacking and defending force are at least XX tokens, the attacker may call for a Heroscape battle instead of a Risk battle. (Players should agree at the start of the game what this limit will be, formats for battles, etc. Also decide if Unique units destroyed in a battle may be re-summoned for future battles.) An attack on an occupied Homeland must always be resolved with a Heroscape battle. The Homeland's defender may choose a Castle map and take the defending position.

The Heroscape Battle
Each Army Token is worth 25 points. You may only summon units from your own General, or from the General of any Homeland you control. In a team game, if your Homeland is occupied, you may still summon units from your starting General. Marro units may only be summoned by a player who controls the Marr swamp.

After the battle, if the defender was victorious, reduce the attacker's force to one token. Reduce the defender's force to the size of its remaining army, rounded up to the nearest 25. If the attacker was victorious, remove the defender's force. Reduce the size of the attacker's force to the size of its remaining army, rounded up to the nearest 25. If the attacker has fewer than 50 points left at the end of the battle, it gets two tokens (one for the territory that it attacked from, the other to occupy the defending territory).

b) Explore. You can move any number of armies into an empty region to Explore it.

If the region is an empty Homeland, you must have at least 20 tokens to explore and occupy that Homeland. {?}

When you Explore a previously unexplored area, draw a glyph. If it's a permanent glyph, that area contains a wellspring and is worth 2 summoning points. If it's a treasure glyph, that army has that treasure glyph. During a Risk battle, an army rolls one d8 for each treasure glyph on its territory. During a Heroscape battle, you may use those treasure glyphs. Treasure glyphs can be moved with your Army, but Wellsprings cannot be moved. Treasure glyphs are captured by the victor in any Risk or Heroscape battle.

3) Fortify

Move any number of Army Tokens from one territory to an adjacent territory, controlled by either you or by a teammate. You may move Treasure Glyphs with those tokens, as long as you move at least one.

The turn passes to the next player. (In a team game, the teams should alternate turns, i.e., Jandar - Utgar - Einar - Marr).

Last edited by IshMEL; July 6th, 2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old July 6th, 2014, 08:40 PM
On vacation...

I have a couple of ideas.

1) Unoccupied zones should have at least one (maybe two) tokens on them, that way there would be a little more of a risk () in trying to claim them. That would also be a little more like Risk is, since you always have to conquer a territory in Risk (and I think you even put non-player figures in 1/3 of the territories in a two player game of Risk, at least the version I own... It's over 10 years old though, so that might be outdated).

2) Much like the previous idea, unoccupied Homelands should have some tokens on them as well, I don't know how many though... More than just normal unoccupied zones...

This one isn't really about the game itself, but I think it's worth mentioning. Are we all happy with the name HeroScapeRisk? How about (drum roll please) RiSkape? Maybe it's dumb, but I think it has a ring to it. HSR might be better than RS though... Just an idea.

Edit: Also, I think that if we want to do this online we will need a few castle maps to be put online, that way the Homeland battles would be possible. Just throwing that out there so somebody who knows how to post up maps to use for Online 'Scape can do that.

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Last edited by Dr.Goomonkey; July 6th, 2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old July 7th, 2014, 07:06 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Great ideas Dr. G! I love the name (RiScape or RisKape or RISCape?)

And for having neutral tokens on empty regions. I think 2 on a regular territory and 10 on a Homeland would be a good place to start. The "Explore" section would just need to be reworded as "after you defeat a neutral army" and we could eliminate the need for a minimum to take over a Homeland.

I'll get to to those edits soon.
Old July 10th, 2014, 08:06 AM

Edited the rules to include Dr.G's ideas. Also I took out the possibility of a team having two different armies in one territory, it just led to too many odd situations.

RiSkape is a mashup of Heroscape and Risk, played on the Map of Valhalla:

Spoiler Alert!

As one of Valhalla's Generals, you must secure the Wellsprings, gain allies, summon the greatest heroes of time and space, and send forth your armies to gain control of Valhalla!

2P: Jandar - Utgar
3P: Jandar - Vydar - Utgar
4P: Two teams (Jandar and either Aquilla or Einar, vs. Utgar and either Marr or Valkrill)

Object

The first player to occupy an opponent's Homeland wins the game. In a team game, both opponent's Homelands must be occupied by the opposition. Players can also agree at the beginning of the game to play a certain number of rounds, or a certain number of Heroscape battles, the player with the most points wins. Score VPs the way you calculate summoning.

Setup
Each player begins with 20 army tokens. Each army token is worth 25 Army Card points (so, each player begins with the equivalent of a 500 point army.) Place all your army tokens on your Homeland.

Put 7 permanent glyphs and 8 treasure glyphs in a draw bag.

Place 10 neutral army tokens on each empty Homeland. Place 2 neutral tokens on all other empty spaces.

Roll for initiative.

Turn Order

On your turn, you will Summon, then Attack, then Fortify.

1) Summon. The territories you control generate Army Tokens.

Your own Homeland generates 4.
Any other Homeland you control generates 3.
A territory with a Wellspring generates 2.
Any other territory generates 1.

There's an additional Alliance bonus:

If you're playing Jandar, and you control Einar, Aquilla, and Ullar, you get 4 extra tokens.
If you're playing Utgar, and you control Marr and Valkrill, you get 3 extra tokens.
If you're playing Vydar, and you control one at least one "good" and one "evil" Homeland, you get 2 extra tokens. If you control two of each, you get 4 extra tokens.

In a team game, a Good player gets 2 tokens if Good players control all 4 Good Homelands. An Evil player gets 2 tokens if Evil players control all 3 Evil Homelands and Vydar.

Place your summoned tokens on any territory you control.

2) Attack. During this phase, you can Attack as many times as you want from a territory you control with at least 2 tokens to an adjacent territory. Most of these battles will be fought using regular Risk rules.

Players should agree at the start of the game when a battle will be fought on a Heroscape map, what the format of battles will be, etc. Keep in mind that there will be many battles! Some possible things to consider:

* Size: a minimum army size on both sides
* Frequency: At most once per turn. Generally declared by the attacker.
* Format: since there are many battles, a faster format such as Heat of Battle is recommended.
* Unique Units: If Unique units destroyed in a battle may be re-summoned for future battles.
* Maps: Generally chosen by the defender.

Attacks on territories held by neutral armies are always resolved with a Risk battle.

An attack on a Homeland occupied by another player is always resolved with a Heroscape battle. The Homeland's defender may choose a Castle map and take the defending position. (Optional: a player defending the Marr swamp can make a swamp map instead of a castle and draft the Hive at no cost. The Hive can't be drafted in other territories.)

When playing a Heroscape battle, each Army Token is worth 25 points. You may only summon units from your own General, or from the General of any Homeland you control. In a team game, if your Homeland is occupied by an opponent, you may still summon units from your starting General. Marro units may only be summoned by a player who controls the Marr swamp.

After the Heroscape battle, if the defender was victorious, reduce the attacker's force to one token. Reduce the defender's force to the size of its remaining army, rounded up to the nearest 25. If the attacker was victorious, remove the defender's force. Reduce the size of the attacker's force to the size of its remaining army, rounded up to the nearest 25. If the attacker has fewer than 50 points left at the end of the battle, it gets two tokens (one for the territory that it attacked from, the other to occupy the defending territory).

As in regular Risk, you cannot abandon a territory.

Exploration If you defeat a neutral army in a territory that's not a Homeland, you have explored it. Draw a glyph. If it's a permanent glyph, that area contains a wellspring and is worth 2 summoning points. If it's a treasure glyph, that army has that treasure glyph. During a Risk battle, an army rolls one d8 for each treasure glyph on its territory. During a Heroscape battle, you may use those treasure glyphs. Treasure glyphs can be moved with your Army, but Wellsprings cannot be moved. Treasure glyphs are captured by the victor in any Risk or Heroscape battle.

3) Fortify

Move any number of Army Tokens from one territory to an adjacent territory, controlled by you. You may move Treasure Glyphs with those tokens, as long as you move at least one.

The turn passes to the next player. (In a team game, the teams should alternate turns, e.g., Jandar - Utgar - Einar - Marr).
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:28 PM
On vacation...

I have a couple thematic thoughts.

Why can't Jandar and Ullar be a team for a 4 person game? I can also say the same thing for Jandar and Vydar. If Jandar can be on a team with Einar (who actually was more aligned with Utgar at some points in HeroScape lore, if I remember correctly, hence the bonding with a few Einar/Utgar units) then he should be able to at least align with Ullar. I think Vydar and Einar are both kind of neutral in terms of being good or evil, and that way the Alliance bonus for Jandar and Utgar could be basically the same (Utgar needing to have Valkrill and Marr, and Jandar needing Ullar and Aquilla).

Just some food for thought.

On a side note, can you move your units through adjacent territories you control during fortification. (Could I move a token from Elswin to Crumland if I controlled Aunstrom?)

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old July 10th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post

Why can't Jandar and Ullar be a team for a 4 person game? I can also say the same thing for Jandar and Vydar. If Jandar can be on a team with Einar (who actually was more aligned with Utgar at some points in HeroScape lore, if I remember correctly, hence the bonding with a few Einar/Utgar units) then he should be able to at least align with Ullar. I think Vydar and Einar are both kind of neutral in terms of being good or evil, and that way the Alliance bonus for Jandar and Utgar could be basically the same (Utgar needing to have Valkrill and Marr, and Jandar needing Ullar and Aquilla).

On a side note, can you move your units through adjacent territories you control during fortification. (Could I move a token from Elswin to Crumland if I controlled Aunstrom?)
It is true that Einar was at times evil and Vydar at times good, I think he is basing it off how the story "ends" (VC obviously continues the story), where it is Jandar-Ullar-Einar-Aquilla, Utgar-Valkrill, and Vydar (who is debatably in alliance with Utgar-Valkrill).

However, I do agree that Jandar-Ullar makes the most sense, as they've been steadily allied since the very start (of course, if you're Ullar and only have Syvarris, you're obviously gonna allied or get wrecked).
Old July 10th, 2014, 11:42 PM
On vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post

It is true that Einar was at times evil and Vydar at times good, I think he is basing it off how the story "ends" (VC obviously continues the story), where it is Jandar-Ullar-Einar-Aquilla, Utgar-Valkrill, and Vydar (who is debatably in alliance with Utgar-Valkrill).

However, I do agree that Jandar-Ullar makes the most sense, as they've been steadily allied since the very start (of course, if you're Ullar and only have Syvarris, you're obviously gonna allied or get wrecked).
So do you think that the 'good' generals could be Jandar, Ullar, and Aquilla, the 'evil' generals could be Utgar, Valkrill, and Marr, and the 'neutral' generals could be Vydar and Einar? That would also give a basis for what the teams could be in a six player game. It would also balance the Alliance bonuses for Jandar and Utgar (since both of them would have to get two other generals, giving them both 3 bonus tokens).

Sorry Ish, by the way, for disagreeing with things in every single post you post, I'm sure you understand though

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old July 11th, 2014, 12:39 AM

G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby!

Einar and Vydar technically when Heroscape was originally released where allied with Utgar, the events of Swarm of the Marro changed that to a 4 vs 1.

So Good Factions would be: Jandar, Ullar, Aquilla

Neutral Factions would be: Vydar, Einar, (Myrva)

and Evil Factions would be: Utgar, Valkrill, Marr

So I guess in the end it depends on what timeline event had occured when this battle is taking place.

Timelines events being:
Rise of the Valkyries: Well Springs discovered, units pulled to Valhalla
Swarm of the Marro: Marro Flood into the main world, alliances shifted majorly and discovery of Aquilla
River of Blood: Utgar needs allies, creates Valkrill, Marr begins to rebel due to loss of hives under Utgar control.
Vydar's Betrayal: Marr has a alliance with Utgar as there own faction, Vydar rebels from the alliance.
Haukeland's Secret: Myrva appears to have been watching the war from afar, unsteady alliance with Jandar, Ullar, Einar, and Aquilla, seams to be working with someone else however.

The reason I suggest Myrva isn't so much that shes a fan made favorite character but that she helps push the board into 3 equal factions.

Problem is I have no idea how Einar, would go into that mix, as his personality is more of a emperor, not a schemer or plotter like Vydar is or how alot of what i've read on how Myrva would be. That and Myrva has no real "Offical" units and it's basically more of a concept at this time...

I dunno just brainstorming here on alliances and events. I'm a sucker for story thematics it's a flaw.

IshMEL, your doing a amazing job! It seams like with each revision your image for HeroScapeRisk becomes clearer and clearer wording and visually.

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity, I have erased that line."

Last edited by G1shark; July 11th, 2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old July 11th, 2014, 05:20 AM
Marcel Marceau

DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun

Einar is definitively with the good side IMO...

Bunch of useful resources (army cards,
blanks, online databases & more..!)
French Forum's admin.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion