Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old February 17th, 2014, 01:24 PM

AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Dallas Area "Official" Tournament structure

If I may, please, petition for Saturday event. That is all. I love team tourneys, would happily play CUC or SoV (although I have zero SoV), don't care if the restricted list is in play or not. I just can't make Sundays.

AW88

Currently playing:
Dixit; Catan; Pastiche; and waiting for my copy of Critical Mass to arrive from Arcane Wonders!

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Old February 17th, 2014, 02:17 PM
SLAYER OF GRUNGEBOB

Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm cool with a Saturday event.
Old February 17th, 2014, 04:02 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac2200 View Post
I'm cool with a Saturday event.
That would be easier for me also.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old February 18th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Super Doopa

DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Saturday it is!

Doopa is Polish for awesome.
Old February 24th, 2014, 08:09 PM

Boodog knows what's in an order marker Boodog knows what's in an order marker

Those events sound fun.

My preference would be plain HS (maybe CUC), but I can see the attraction of customs (pssst -- look in my signature ).

DUNESCAPE

The spice must flow!
Old March 15th, 2014, 04:11 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

What happened to those plans for a Tourney?

--
--
--

--
Old March 15th, 2014, 06:47 PM
SLAYER OF GRUNGEBOB

Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

They're lost in space... Lost in time...
Old March 17th, 2014, 08:22 AM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
What happened to those plans for a Tourney?
Rob and I were just talking about them this week. He was bouncing a few ideas off of me. He'll get it posted here shortly.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old March 19th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Super Doopa

DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Texas Team Tourney VIII: Hodge Podge Hell is up: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...33#post1921533

Doopa is Polish for awesome.
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:47 PM

A couple of the guys that I chatted with at the Team event mentioned that they were tired of seeing some people bring the same old stuff.

I hope you guys don't mind if I post a few alternate formats that might encourage some variety:

Quote:
  • Choose two armies. The two armies cannot share any figures. These will be the two armies you bring to every game.
  • Before each game, there will be a dice-off, done by the tournament organizers. The winner of the dice-off chooses first army choice or second army choice.
  • Whoever has first army choice may choose any of the four armies (either of their two or either of their opponent's two). The other player may then choose from any of the other three armies.
Quote:
  • Choose two armies. The two armies cannot share any figures. These will be the two armies you bring to every game.
  • Before each game, there will be a dice-off, done by the tournament organizers. The winner of the dice-off chooses first army choice or second army choice.
  • On odd rounds, players will pick their own army from the four armies available. (a.k.a. "bring 2")
  • On even rounds, players will pick their opponent's army from the four armies available. (a.k.a. "pick your poison")
Quote:
  • For this event, each player will bring two armies. The two armies cannot share any figures. These will be the two armies you bring to every game.
  • Before each game, there will be a dice-off, done by the tournament organizers. The winner of the dice-off chooses either choice of the two armies used, or first choice between the two armies.
  • Whoever has choice of the two armies used will choose which two of the four armies will be used in that game.
  • The other player will then choose which of the two armies they want to play, leaving the other one for their opponent to play.
  • The loser of the diceoff will then choose whether to place his army first or second.
These formats have all been used in the online events with great success. The first format encourages players to bring two armies that are balanced against each other, which can sometimes shoot players in the foot if they don't know how to balance armies against each other well. The second format is a little gentler. The third format allows players to bring armies as weak as they want to and still do well (provided the armies are balanced against each other).

Of course, the dice-off can be done by the players themselves instead of the tournament organizers--that is how I do it for our OK events.

--

Of course, as I gather you guys have been discussing, allowing C3V and SoV figures will also encourage some more variety. Assuming I'm able to attend, I'll be happy to lend out any of my C3V and SoV stuff to anyone who wants to use it for the event. Alternatively, I'd be happy to help anyone find where they can buy figures if they want to own their own copies. Incidentally, C3V and SoV would pair nicely with any of the formats described above, as it would give players a chance to try C3V and SoV characters even if they don't bring any of their own.

--
--
--

--
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:40 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Its sort of funny. We have been using restricted list for years now. This time around we didn't but yet somehow we are stil playing the same old stuff.

I'm guilty.

I used some grade a old stuff. But prior to this event, I had been playing Romans for damn near every event. In fact, I was greeted in the parking lot with the "so the usual Romans this time?"

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Lol, and look, you won without them.

I don't know that there truly is any format where the Grade-A stuff won't come out. Even in PYP, or other type event structures, the propensity to use A-list units is still there. I think it's inherent in the nature of competition. No matter what format we come up with, the problem (if it even is a problem) still exists. People will play A-List / ranged units over less viable options.

So then it becomes about changing the actual tournament format or structure. That don't happen though. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Every October is NHSD, every spring is Team Tourney. Late spring / early summer we have the Richardson Open. The events are the same. Oh yes, the points may change, or there may be a restricted list, or the parameters of the army selection (only 2 squads, for example) may have restrictions, but outside of those few restrictions, people still will bring the A-list stuff.

Why? They want to win, of course. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think there is an easy solution (again, if it's even a problem), unless you change the tournament strucure itself. NHSD will always be straight up, vanilla kill-em-all. Team Tourney is the same, but with partners. RO allows CUC (which is awesome), but A-listers still appear.

Draft-a-pack, MOPs, Worst army, etc. are ways to change this to a degree, but in the end, the nature of people and the will to win will trump most formats we come up with. I guess just 'Scape on and have more tournaments.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-

Last edited by rym; April 13th, 2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: R˙chean is sanskit for Romans. :razz:

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events