Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old April 17th, 2012, 11:28 AM

I LIKE PI! Woo who?
Champion for a Day Armies

I have been looking for a thread like this (using the search function and Killometer's "XXXX Point Army" thread compilation) without success. The idea behind this thread is to create competetive armies around one or more units who haven't won any tournaments (listed here). The armies should be 500 points unless it is for a specific tournament. Other than that, have fun!

A couple of mine for Pestered in Westford:

Lying in Wait
Othkurik 140
Mika 250
2xGreenscales 370
Darrak 430
2xChainfighter 480

This army is all about shadow. Mika goes out first, lays down some shadow, and gets a glyph if there is one. Then the dragon and his scales rampage taking advantage of lurking ambush. Darrak and Chainfighters clean up with what's left of Mika to help.

Mind Control
4xMindflayer/Shades 400
Raelin 480

Total psychological domination!

Howls of Badru
2xWerewolf Lord 280
2xWoB 440
Guilty 470
Isamu 480

Wolves go out with a WL eating and poucing anything that moves (or doesn't). The other WL uses their heroes against them. Guilty and Isamu provide range and a filler, in that order.

Who needs Laglor?
Q9 180
Skahen 300
Krav 400
Raelin 480

A very competitive Vydar ranged pod. Not much else to say.

Low lifes (and a dragon)
DW8K 130
2xRats 210
Braxas 420
Zetacron 480

DW kills the low defense units, Braxas acids the high defense squads and small/medium heroes, Zetacron pounds the Large and Huge figures, and deathreavers are the shield.

A 500 pointer:

Smokeroller
Spartacus 200
3xCapauns 410
Retarius 500

A steamroller variant.

When I make these armies, often I try to find another unit in place of the units who haven't won, and some are hard. For example, I can't see a single reason why I would ever choose Retarius over Crixus. In some armies, like Lying in Wait, I can't see a way to dispose of Mika without ruining the shadow powers.

Edit: I just read heroscaper2010's thread and I think it would be helpful to have a list of the contenders.

Spoiler Alert!

3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307.. .
Advocating for TSA as KC did for Runa.

Last edited by I LIKE PI!; June 16th, 2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: list of units needed
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Champion for a Day Armies

I'm a little surprised that Kato's Kids haven't won one:

Kato Katsuro 200
Ashigaru Yari x3 120
Ashigaru Harq x3 180
500/25 (sit a Yari)

I've done really well with that army in casual play.

~Aldin, taking the easy route

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old April 17th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Likely my Pestered in Westford army this year:
300 3x Quasatch Hunters
060 Zetacron
120 Kaemon Awa

Quasatch are a solid force, especially on jungly and tree-y maps.
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:54 PM

SuperEsenwein Woo who?

I might as well post my work-in-progress ideas to make Dnd shine. (Both of these are 480 points.)

Eldgrim
Finn
Knights of Weston x2
Dünd
Fen Hydra

Eldgrim
Deathreavers x3
Dünd
KMA
Fen Hydra

Sorry, no matter how much you try, you can not ignore yourself.
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:32 AM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperEsenwein View Post
I might as well post my work-in-progress ideas to make Dnd shine. (Both of these are 480 points.)

Eldgrim
Finn
Knights of Weston x2
Dünd
Fen Hydra

Eldgrim
Deathreavers x3
Dünd
KMA
Fen Hydra
If you really want Dund to shine, you're probably going to want Agent Skahen in there. Cover Fire is supremely useful for getting Dund into position without having to place an extra OM on him. That second army might benefit from putting Skahen in place of the Fen Hydra.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:37 PM

SuperEsenwein Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate the dawg View Post
If you really want Dund to shine, you're probably going to want Agent Skahen in there. Cover Fire is supremely useful for getting Dund into position without having to place an extra OM on him. That second army might benefit from putting Skahen in place of the Fen Hydra.
True... I hadn't thought of her as much since I don't have her. Though I don't know if she would be better than the Hydra. The Hydra has an efficient attack that can do more damage than the Krav in a short time, and Skahen isn't even close to the Hydra for offense. But maybe I could have both Skahen and Hydra, somehow.

Sorry, no matter how much you try, you can not ignore yourself.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 08:30 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Protectors need yet to win.

How about:

Protectors x3
Sgt. Drake (SotM)
KMA

Drake is either cleanup or a counter to ranged normal attacks.
The KMA are a counter to both ranged normal and special attacks.
The Protectors could take on the lower defense big guys like Zelrig using Combined Arbalest.

Torin has to win yet too?

Torin
Minions x3
Marro Warriors

If it were a 580-600 point tourny add Raelin (if 580) and the two Ninja's (if 600).

Torin acts as a base for the Minions, then move in for the kill. Then the Marro Warriors come up with Torin protecting them and cleanup. <--- That's the reason that Raelin is helpful here.

Last edited by Sheep; June 3rd, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old June 4th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

How about this Torin army:
Torin
Rae v1
Stingers x5
500 points/18 hexes
Rae boosts defense, Torin as a scare factor/cleanup, and Stingers as the squad that, when boosted by Rae and adjacent to Torin, are very scary if attacking by a range normal attack.
Old June 5th, 2012, 09:25 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Special Attacker or Syv + Isamu - 110
Protectors x2 - 330
Marro Warriors - 380
Deathreavers x3 - 500, 24

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:31 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
I'm a little surprised that Kato's Kids haven't won one:

Kato Katsuro 200
Ashigaru Yari x3 120
Ashigaru Harq x3 180
500/25 (sit a Yari)

I've done really well with that army in casual play.

~Aldin, taking the easy route
kildawabit came one opponent's win away from making day 2 with that army last year at Gencon. It's a good build, for sure - I'd feel reasonably confident with it at many events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcelfarmyone View Post
How about this Torin army:
Torin
Rae v1
Stingers x5
500 points/18 hexes
Yes, that. If you're looking to bag a CfaD, that's one of the easiest ones.
  1. Put Raelin on a perch.
  2. Put Torin 2-3 spaces in front of Raelin, next to some high ground.
  3. Feed Stingers up next to Torin.
  4. Shoot stuff.
  5. Win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Special Attacker or Syv + Isamu - 110
Protectors x2 - 330
Marro Warriors - 380
Deathreavers x3 - 500, 24
I definitely agree that rats/Protectors are the way to go. I might be inclined to go with something else with the leftover points. A Fen Hydra is nice against dragons or orcs, and Rae/Krav is nice against things that would outrange you.

Another obvious CfaD is Raelin/Rats/Skahen/Agents. Skahen is probably a bit overrated in the rankings, but that is still a really strong build. ratsx3 and Krav makes for a pretty mean 440. You could drop in something more active than rats for a trickier build... Warriors of Ashra is an interesting one.

After that, your best bet on most of these is basically to take a top-tier build, and sub in one of these figures in place of the more standard option. Say, Werewolf Lord for Fen Hydra.
Old June 16th, 2012, 02:41 PM

I LIKE PI! Woo who?

How about Backwards logic?
Protectors' Protectors
3x PoU 330
Rae 410
Atlaga 500

Why are the Protectors called that when they need protection themselves?

3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307.. .
Advocating for TSA as KC did for Runa.

Last edited by I LIKE PI!; June 21st, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old August 8th, 2012, 06:43 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

I didn't even notice until now that you added the list of figures. I'm glad my thread was useful for something. Anyways, "FOR EINAR!!!":

280 Einar Imperium x2
505 10th Regiment of Foot
505pts/18hex

Or:

420 Einar Imperium x3
500 Rats x2
500pts/17hex

Your opponent is most likely going to be confused by this one, which gives you a head start. Use the rats to build a screen. yes a screen for other Melee figures. Then use the Imperium to destroy the tied up figures. If they have range, just go directly for them.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion