Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:48 PM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!
Eastern PA NHSD Post Tourny Thread

Well, NHSD has come and gone for the Eastern PA scapers. Unfortunately we had quite a few last minute dropouts and an event that was looking like it would have as many as 20 was dropped all the way down to 12. Regardless of the amount of players, we still had a great time. A great big thanks to WoTC for sending the support and to Alejandro MJQ10 for donating prize support as well. And a super big ups to Lee from 1up collectibles for allowing us to host the event in his shop.

So on to the standings.

We had a couple of new players at our event. Duker, and Mecherath. Duker proved that newbies can play as well as any and won the event with a 5-0 record.

We used the rolling rumble format which seemed to go over well. It did not quite allow for as many games for everyone as I had previously thought, but some people did play more games than usual and there was certainly less down time.

Here are the final standings and the armies played.

1. Duker 5-0 (Cyprien, Krug, Sonya, Marro Warriors, Deathreavers x2)
2. Tom 5-1 (Fen Hydra x2, Phantom Knights x3)
3. Northgate 5-2 (Mogrimm, Darrak, Brave Arrow, 3x Axegrinders)
4. Spidysox 4-2 (Agent Skahen, Agent Carr, Krav, Nakita's, Otonashi)
5. Justine 3-2 (Kaemon, Crixus, Guilty, Gladiators x3)
6. Peteparkerh 3-2 (Mogrim, Migol, Axegrinders x3)
7. Grunttactics 2-2 (Braxas, Q9, ?)
8. Sleeper 2-4 (Cyprien, Krug, Sonya, Isamu, Anubians x1, Reavers x1)
9. Mecherath 1-2 (Grimnak, Tornak, Heavies x2, Gruts x2)
10. Alejandro MJQ10 (Mogrimm, Rhogar, Axegrinders x2, Spiders x2)
11. Bluestar (Braxas, Krav, Black Wrymling x4, Otonashi)
12. Lil Miss Pete (Mimring, Kurrok, Fire Elemental x5)

Thanks to everyone for coming. I hope you all had as much fun as I did. Post your battle reports here.

Edit: If anyone has a facebook page, go to the 1 up collectibles page and comment there. The shop owner has already put some pictures of the event up and a fan of his page said the game looks awesome. This is a good opportunity to post some thank you notes on his page as well as pump the game to some outsiders.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous

Last edited by spidysox; October 23rd, 2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 09:21 PM

Duker Woo who?
Re: Eastern PA NHSD Post Tourny Thread

For those of you who don’t know me (and I assume that’s everyone) I have been around heroscape for about 5 years I think. I said 4 at the tourney but that’s only how long I’ve been on the boards. I used to be arielaviator but I got away from the game in the last 2 years but made a triumphant return over the summer when I bought some warhammer stuff. For years I saw tournaments being held in Reading but could never go cause: A. I was too shy B. My parents probably wouldn’t have wanted to drive me. When I was picking colleges Penn State Berks stuck out to me because it was close to home and also because it was close to a heroscape group. When I saw this tournament I was more than determined to go and spent a lot of time over the past 2 months considering armies from my limited collection. I say limited because I have nothing from wave 9 and up. I came up with at least 1 army idea from each general, Utgar and Einar had 2 and had a mini tournament to decide the winner. The winner would be my army. The final 2 were- Vydar- Krav, Nakitas, Q10, Murphy and Einar- Kaemon, Ninjas, Kozuke, Tagawa. I wanted the Vydar army so even though Einar won the last battle I went with Vydar but I really didn’t like it that much. It went down too quickly and didn’t have the late game heroics that I thought I would need. I looked again at my army cards and reformed an old army idea. Cyprien, Sonya and 2x Rats as the core. That gave me 175 points of filler. I decided that it needed a huge figure and a mop up squad. Krug and the Marro warriors came to mind so my final army was
Cyprien 150
Sonya 45
Rats x2 80
Krug 120
Marro Warriors 50

Total 445

Game 1- Justine on Ice Blossom

Opposing army- Gladiators x 3, Kaemon, Crixus, Gilty

I wasn’t sure how to play marro warriors at this point so I decided to lead with them. Got off a few shots and killed a glad before Kaemon came up and began to scare me. He was a real threat to my rats which were doing a good job clogging so I flew in Cyprien to deal with him. It was a costly mistake. Cyprien finished Kaemon and a couple of Glads but I let crixus engage him along with 3 glad and thanks to awful defense dice even with height he fell. I then moved up krug who didn’t get far and was engaged by glads and crixus. He smashed crixus and a few more glads before going down and in the meantime I had lost the rest of my marros. It was now 4 rats, and 2 wound sonya againts 4 glads and Murphy. (Or something like that) Sonya pulled off height against 2 glads to get back to full health after which she finished off the rest. Rats ended up killing 2 glads and 1 wound on crixus. Awesome back and forth game, very close too.

Game 2- Northgate on Jotuns gap

Opposing army- Mogrimm, Darrak, Brave Arrow, 3x Axegrinders

The axegrinders scared me a lot. I think 3 armies had them and against them big ugly krug wasn’t going to be much help. What I thought was going to be a help was the marro warriors. Their range plus height gave me some confidence although the shadow tiles negated that. Northgate didn’t mess around and threw grinders into the gap early along with mogrimm. My rats attempted to clog and did a good job of it. Marros fired some shots and might have killed 1 or 2 dwarves but the dwarves kept coming and killing rats. It was then that I launched my plan into action. I flew cyprien around the map picking off individual dwarves while he was busy with my rats and marros. Cyprien went on an amazing spree of killing and finished off all the dwarves pretty much single handedly. It was amazing. He had one close call when the final few dwarves and Mogrimm surrounded him but like a true vampire he made a buffet out of them. Darrak advanced and got chilling touched pretty badly and brave arrow managed to kill Cyprien I believe but when he turned around Krug was there to finish the job. Probably my most strategic victory of the day.

Game 3- Mecherath on Ticalla sunrise

Opposing army- Grimnak, Tornak, Heavies x2, Gruts x2, Isamu

Mecherath and I were competing for the highly sought after “Best noob award” If I could win this game I stood a pretty good chance at winning since I would be 3-0 and he would be 1-1. The sheer amount of orcs scared me and looking at Grimnak made me want to puke when I thought about what he could do to cyprien with 1 good roll. I decided to lead with Marros again (Such a stupid move) to hopefully shoot some at the approaching horde. I didn’t get a shot off before grimnak had chomped 2 deathreavers and a marro. I moved Krug up in a very risky move to deal with Grimnak and his heavies. Poor choice. He killed Krug after I had put 4 wounds on grimnak. I chose to put it all on the table and flew in cyprien for a 50% chance to kill grimnak and I did. Threat neutralized right? Wrong, I forgot how good 4 attacks of 3 can be. After a near death experience Cyprien killed off 2 of the 4 heavies surrounding him and 2 attacks of 3 when I have height isn’t so bad. Then Mecherath made a big mistake. He ran Tornak over the hill and into my start zone with a few blade gruts in order to kill some rats, marros and sonya which he eventually did. I was busy DEVOURING another squad of heavies and more than 1 squad of blades that he left alone a few spaces outside of his startzone. When we were both done I had full health Cyprien and 4 rats agains 2 heavies, 3 blades and Tornak. I’ll take Cyprien over broken squads of orcs any day. I flew into a spot where he could only bring 3 attacks of 3 on me while I attempted to chilling touch tornak and kill off gruts when I took wounds. It worked in my favor but not before a few close calls. Great game and you probably could have had me if you concentrated more on Cyprien.

Game 4- Spidysox on fire isles

Opposing army Agent Skahen, Agent Carr, Krav, Nakita's, Otonashi

Well we come to it at last. I was dreading facing spidysox, Tom or Peteparkerh all day but I figures that sooner or later I would have to take a loss to them. The army matchup didn’t scare me that much but spidysox’s mind did. He’s almost like the R˙chean of PA to me (not that I would really know). Anyways I had almost brought a vydar army with nakitas, Krav, Q10 and Murphy so I knew the weaknesses of the core of his army. Once the squads loose a member it becomes very tough to place order markers on them. My plan was to kill off 2 squadies first them go after the heros. I led with rats and Krug. Spidy avoided my rats which I did not expect and I left 2 of them on lava which were killed if I remember correctly. Darn. Krug and Cyprien moved up together which was my game plan. Keep them together and get them into the heart of his army to make him decide which one to go after. Then capitalize with the other. He fired at Krug first making him angry. Krug smashed a krav and them he moved up Carr. For some reason I liked my chances with Carr so I leapfrogged Krug and chilling touched carr for 2 wounds. Carr swung back and I cringed but to my surprise, only 1 skull. Next turn I ran away with Cyprien for safety. Then Krug took a few more wounds and was engaged by carr. I saw 2 nakitas sitting side by side in his start zone and so I went for it with krug taking 2 passing swipes for 1 wound. He smashed them both and I breathed a sigh of relief. It was short lived as Krug fell shortly after. The duel between Cyprien and Carr continued on lava to which carr took another wound I think and fled. I forget what happened next, maybe spidy can fill in the blanks but I think Cyprein killed carr (I saw no order markers on him and took advantage) and then Skahen got chilling touched. It was looking good until those darn Krav killed Cyprien. Oh no, now I have 2 wound sonya and dwindling rat forces but still an entire Marro squad. Or not as they all preceded to die but I think the last one killed one Krav before dying. Then the little rats that could went to work. I lost 3 yes 3 to freakin nakita engagement strike but I think one rat made it to a Krav and killed it! I love my rats! Then they proceeded to die out to the last Nakita. 1 sonya with 2 wounds against 1 nakita and Otonashi. Wow how am I going to pull this off? The answer was poor placement behind the ruin which drew a nakita to shoot at her and miss. Sonya flew up and I held my breath for engagement strike.No! But she missed her attack. End of the round. Initiative was needed for the win and I got it. Sonya still needed to pull off a good attack and she did! Now a 1 wound sonya against the ninja. I could see that spidy could sense the end. His 2 attack ninja didn’t have much chance but we still swapped turns before sonya got the better of the fight. Wow what an incredible game. I was shaking throughout most of it but just WOW it was insane.

Game 5- Sleeper On Vulcan

Opposing army- Cyprien, Krug, Sonya, Isamu, Anubians x1, Reavers x1

I had been watching Sleepers army all day and seeing him play spidysox helped me out a little. Are armies were so similar that I knew it was going to come down to luck and luck alone to win this game. Wouldn’t you know it came down to probably the luckiest roll all day. I began with the reavers because, hey why not? They took the sides of the map and I watched his Krug stomp slowly up the hill. I didn’t want to rick cyprien and for some reason I thought Marros wouldn’t be a good match-up even though they probably would have been. I decided that I was going to engage with rats and then move my krug into a better position. My rats got 1 wound on him (Man I love those little guys) but I scattered away once to avoid a double attack leaving a lane for him to get height on my krug. He did and put 4 wounds on mine. My next order marker was on the rats unfortunately and I made THE DUMBEST move all day. I moved my rats in such a way that I couldn’t get my krug on the same level at his Krug. WOW I felt so stupid. He wounded my krug to 6 I think so I still had a chance. 4 wounds on the first hit taking him down to 3 life and 4 skulls on the second hit. He rolled 2 shields giving him a seriously ticked off krug who proceeded to decimate mine and a rat. Marros fired up hill at Krug and killed him the next turn. Krug vs Krug was only the pre-show fight though and thus the main event began. Somewhere along the way his cyprien had flanked my army and was hiding behind a rock on the other side. My rats were nipping at him but I was worried that he was going to decimate my start zone. Next turn he had 3 OMs on his anubians who had also moved up a little. I took a risk and decided to play with the puppies. Cyprien missed 3 chilling touches but slew a wolf per turn with his normal attack. No rolls of 20 thank goodness or else I would have been dead. Then he sprung his cyprien trap (he really had no other option) and engaged Sonya but only put 2 wounds on her. I flew back and ate my own marro for health. This was a terrible move because it gave him the initiative to strike at my cyprien first. Perhapse I should have ignored it and destroyed his start zone too but for some reason I didn’t want him to kill all of my marros. (Foreshadow) Well his cyprien came out firing and put 3 wounds on mine. I was faced with a tough choice; strike back or try to heal. I healed by eating 2 more marros. He responded by putting 2 more wounds on me. I think instead of eating sonya I tried to attack him but missed again. He got 2 more wounds on me and the round ended. Wow a 5 wound cyprien against a full health cyprien. I had such a terrible chance to pull out anything. To have any hint of a chance I had to win initiative. He rolled first, a 10. Then I rolled, 13! It was a good roll but to win the game I needed a better one. With sonya I needed an 18 to cause 6 wounds and kill him. Any less and it was basically game over. I gave my dice a kiss and rolled it. 20, wow, unbelievable. By this time we were the last game going and a few people were watching. I had killed cyprien but he still had Isamu, 2 wound sonya and rats which chilling touch was no good against. Instead of bull rushing I used my last marro to spawn 3 new marro meals for cyprien while he ate isamu with sonya. (Probably no a smart move) Then my cyprien finished off sonya and the remaining rats.

5-0 and tournament champion. I still can’t really believe it. Sure I had some favorable matchups and I didn’t have to play Tom which I know saved me but really? How did I just win 5 games of a game that I really only played against myself? It was an amazing, stressful, exciting day that I wouldn’t trade for the world. Thanks everyone for being so nice to me and for making this day some memorable. I will be sure to be a regular attendee from now on, I can guarantee that. Once again thank you Spidysox for making this happen and I am really looking forward to seeing everyone in the future.
Old October 24th, 2010, 07:54 AM

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

Grats on your win Duker, you deserved it. You played very well. Our match was the highlight of the day for me it was so back and forth that it was hard to tell who was going to come out on top.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old October 24th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Has Roman Archers with a Combined Attack of 18. Seriously.

DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby!

Wow, sounds like you guys had agreat day. Congrats Duker, and to everyone else who was able to play.

Sorry to hear you had alot of drop-outs spidy. I am glad that you still had a good turn-out and a great day. I hope we can get an event together soon that everyone can make it to.

I guess the next event that I might make will be the casual game day. So hope to see you guys there.

DragonSlayer2

In war, indeed, there is no substitute for victory. ~General MacArthur

Great Traders: Nyys, generalgina, Porkins, Grand Moff Venom, Bogusoid, MikeLizzio, FEDEX WORKER
MY TRADE LIST
Old October 24th, 2010, 12:48 PM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness

First off, thanks to Spidysox for putting this great event together. Congradulations to Duker on his 5-0 win. Excellent job and welcome to the group! Hopefully we get a chance to play a match together next time.

I had another great day of Scaping goodness. I finally got to play against grunttactics and Justine, two players I had been really eager to play against. Both were great games that really came down to the wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duker View Post
When I was picking colleges Penn State Berks stuck out to me because it was close to home and also because it was close to a heroscape group.
Best reason to choose a college I have ever heard.
Old October 24th, 2010, 08:21 PM

Duker Woo who?

Thanks everyone. This tournament was probably the best scenario for a noob to win. Only 12 participant with a lot of regulars absent and a "rolling rumble" format that allowed me to slip past Tom into first place. Who did Tom lose to by the way? I have to remember to thank them next time. Anyways, I'm glad to get the first event out of the way so now I wont be as nervous going to the next few. I had a blast and seeing all those new figures really re-vamped my interest in the game. (they're really not that new but they are new to me). I guess this tournament proves 2 things: 1. Its better to be lucky than good 2. Old figures can still hang with the new figures, so no power creep in HS.
Old October 24th, 2010, 08:23 PM

BobGrant is surprisingly tart

Glad to hear everyone had a great time, I wish I could have made this event. Good job

See Avatar for my most epic fail.

Dec 11 - X-mas Chaos II - Baltimore, MD - clancampbell
Dec 18 - Mixed Marvel - Pitman, NJ - mikelizzio
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:26 PM

Northgate knows what's in an order marker Northgate knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Thanks everyone. This tournament was probably the best scenario for a noob to win. Only 12 participant with a lot of regulars absent and a "rolling rumble" format that allowed me to slip past Tom into first place. Who did Tom lose to by the way? I have to remember to thank them next time. Anyways, I'm glad to get the first event out of the way so now I wont be as nervous going to the next few. I had a blast and seeing all those new figures really re-vamped my interest in the game. (they're really not that new but they are new to me). I guess this tournament proves 2 things: 1. Its better to be lucky than good 2. Old figures can still hang with the new figures, so no power creep in HS.
I happen to find this post quite offensive (as does Justine). It essentially infers that the people that you played against were crap because they weren't regulars. Yes I admit you did beat me but to infer that you won bc the regulars weren't there and again you played against the "garbage" (besides Tom) isn't necessary either.
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post
Quote:
I happen to find this post quite offensive (as does Justine). It essentially infers that the people that you played against were crap because they weren't regulars. Yes I admit you did beat me but to infer that you won bc the regulars weren't there and again you played against the "garbage" (besides Tom) isn't necessary either.
Easy there tiger. At no time did he say that players there were "garbage" nor did he insinuate that the people he beat were not quality players (myself among them) he was simply trying to point out that there were quite a few of the regular players that were not there that may have had a chance to beat him. He may not have chosen his words very well, but I am sure he meant no offense.

Old October 25th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Mayor of Scape City

peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Well I had a great time at the event.

Duker, don't sell yourself short. Spidy, Northgate, and Justine have all been major tournament winners.

I loved the format since I got to play a lot of games down to the end. I also got to do my first intentional jump into lava. Northgate and I had almost the exact armies (dwarves). He was beating me pretty bad and I had no shot to Win. I took my last two characters and ran for the lava so I could go on to the next game (due to the rules that it was better to play more games than maximizing loser points).

PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2013 "BEAT BY XANTH" CLUB
and Minas Tirith Campaign from Lord of the Rings today.
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:18 PM

Duker Woo who?

I am sincerely sorry if I offended anyone in my last post. It was not my intention at all. I was always taught to be humble so I thought that after winning this tournament that I should try to take credit away from myself. I chose my words poorly and it ended up sounding very rude and insulting so I apologize and I hope that you can forgive me. I deeply respect everyone who was there and everyone who I played against.
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:52 PM

Northgate knows what's in an order marker Northgate knows what's in an order marker

I also apologize about my misunderstanding of what was being presented. I tend to overanalyze what is said and make too much of things (I felt that some of the words weren't positive about others, caring less about whether or not they were presented to me, because honestly, Duker did kick my ass at this tourney and I have no problem admitting that). I apologize to Duker and wish him congratulations on his tourney win. Hopefully, this will put the whole issue to rest.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day