Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:59 AM

MarioFanaticXV Woo who?
I'm thinking of selling my collection. Please advise.

THIS IS NOT A TRADE THREAD. Please do not post offers, and please do not move this to the trading forum.

HeroScape is what really got me into board games... I had played Axis and Allies once before, but that never really hooked me. I had played Yu-Gi-Oh! when I was younger, but as time went on, the idea of randomized expansions wore thin on me.

In 2007, I had just moved to New Mexico. There wasn't much for me to do out there, and I was still primarily a video gamer (still am, but I'll get to that later). Come Christmas, I end up getting a video game which I have zero interest in... Carnival Games for the Wii- and while I didn't have many games for my Wii at the time, I knew that game wasn't worth the 40 USD price tag, so I ended up returning it, and picking up a copy of the heroScape: Rise of the Valkyrie Master Set which was on clearance for only 20 USD. I played with my youngest sister, and she loved it too. I quickly started getting various expansions, and built up a fairly sizeable collection... I loved the game. And to an extent, I kind of still do... But not to the extent I used to.

Since learning of this site and joining a board game group out here in Virginia, I've seen many other kinds of games... Many of which seem like they do what heroScape does better... Save for the terrain. The 3D terrain is still something that I find no one has done better than heroScape. And I do enjoy putting the maps together, but... I never really have anyone to play it with. I use to play with my sister often, but she hardly even talks to me anymore, and whenever I go to a board game group, no one wants to take the time to set up the maps and then take them back down, especially for the larger scenarios which use more than one master set.

In recent years, I've begun to grow disillusioned with video games. More and more, video games these days seem to appeal to the casual market with a focus on graphical prowess with little attention to level design or story. On top of that, DRM and digital distribution have been growing at an alarming rate that seem to be telling me that video games as a whole are just going to become increasingly anti-consumer where we'll own less and less of what we pay for... There's no real way for them to do that with board games, and thus I'm being drawn more to them. On top of that, there's the fact that more cooperative board games have been showing up which allow me to either play alongside a less skilled player and help them along or sometimes to even play a game solo and still have the full experience (I love Sentinels of the Multiverse for this; just as robust and entertaining as any fighting game I've ever played).

All in all, I think my tastes may have "outgrown" the game since being exposed to all sorts of different games- not that heroScape feels "childish" to me, but just outgrown as in its worn out its welcome... That maybe I burned myself out on it because I really didn't know of all the wondrous board games out there. There are many games that I've seen that I'd really like to get... And since heroScape seems fairly valuable now, I'm seriously thinking of trying to sell off the entire collection and go for games that take up less room in the closet, are easier to store, and are more varied. Some more complex so I can really dig my teeth into them, others simpler so that I can play with my non-gamer family members (one of my sisters thinks Sentinels of the Multiverse is a complex and confusing game...)

The other thing is the fact that demand for the game has gone up so much... If I had to pay the prices going on eBay for what I currently have, I can say I would not buy this game... It's still a good game, and one I'll always have fond memories of, but it isn't worth to me what it's going for right now. I feel I could get enough money to get at least a dozen great games if I spend wisely on Cool Stuff Inc. (which is probably what I'd do with most of the money), and that sounds so tempting right now. But on the other hand, if I sell it and they end up putting it back into print, I know I'll be kicking myself for it (then again, if it goes back in print, I'll probably be able to buy back the sets for more than I end up selling them for... So that wouldn't really be a loss anyways), and if it doesn't get reprinted, I'll probably never have a chance to get them at a decent price again.

So, what do you think? Should I try to sell it? Should I keep it and just hope my interest is renewed in the game? Am I overanalyzing what in the end is just a hobby? Regardless, I would like suggestions for a price point; I'm probably going to list on Craigslist for a local transaction, as I don't want to deal with shipping costs for multiple parcels... Below is a list of what sets I have, all complete with one noted exception:

Master Sets
Rise of the Valkyrie x1.5 (One set is missing the large wall and the character figures; but it only cost 5 USD at a thrift store)
Swarm of the Marro
Battle for the Underdark
Marvel: The Battle Begins

Large Expansions
Fortress of the Archkyrie x2

Crest of the Valkyrie
Jandar's Flag Bearer
Vydar's Flag Bearer
Utgar's Flag Bearer

Wave 1
Grut Orcs
Snipers & Vipers
The IX Roman Legion
Heroes of Bleakwoode

Wave 2
Minutemen & Wolves x2
Heroes of Barrenspur

Wave 4
Lawmen & Samurai

Wave 5
Ninjas & Samurai
Warriors & Soulborgs
Gladiators & Agents

Wave 6
Zombie Horde
Archers & Kyrie

Wave 7
Knights Templar
Fiends and Vampires
Heroes of Elswin

Wave 8
Soldiers and Wolves
Marro Cavalry
Elves
Heroes of the Molten Sea

Wave 9
Braves and Brawlers
Dwarves and Repulsors
Dividers and Defenders
Heroes of the Moon Tribe
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: I'm thinking of selling my collection. Please advise.

Would selling it be of any significant financial benefit to you? Only you can judge the sentimental and future entertainment value of your collection against the current drawbacks of holding on to it.

EDIT: Personally, I rarely play Heroscape anymore. However, I have held on to my collection and still find time to play occasionally (Gen Con or other occasional tournaments).
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Keep a master set. Trust me. It's ok to move on, people do it all the time. Just keep a little back in your closet just in case you change your mind, trust me.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:14 AM

HarleyThomas is surprisingly tart

I haven't played in years. The people I did play with, we drifted apart and my local Walmart got beans for expansions and I can't go to the next city too often to hit up other Walmarts and Toys R Us, so I ended up storing my stuff and forgetting about it.

Recently got back into it (collecting at least), some three years after being discontinued and it's been both fun and a nightmare.

If you do resolve to sell, hit up the trading section before Ebay. Guarantee the lot of people here would greatly appreciate it.
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:22 AM

MarioFanaticXV Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyThomas View Post
If you do resolve to sell, hit up the trading section before Ebay. Guarantee the lot of people here would greatly appreciate it.
Is Paypal an acceptable method in the trade section? Guess I should head over there and read up on this kind of stuff.
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:55 AM

HarleyThomas is surprisingly tart

PayPal is definitely acceptable if shipping across the country/boarder
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Yes, you should at least keep a master set and some of the figures you like to play. There will be at some point in which you will regret selling some of it.

You can also play Heroscape online now too!

Last edited by MegaSilver; June 14th, 2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Axis and Allies is a great game too! :)
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:23 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I must admit, I can not see where you're coming from on this one.

There are times I get bored of doing things and I stop. That doesn't mean I get rid of anything. Who knows maybe I'm just a horder .

Don't get me wrong I'd love to pick up a couple of items you have but I think I'd rather see you pack it up and store it for a year and then, when the time is right, pull it out of storage and play.

I honestly think you'll find a lot more happiness if you don't just trash that which you have enjoyed...unless you have totally run out of room or you need the cash.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; June 14th, 2013 at 08:25 AM. Reason: I still have my guitar...after all those years, think I'll pull it out tonight.
Old June 14th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

There is something to be said for Sharing what your no longer intersted in so someone else can enjoy it.

When Andy gave his Toys away at the end of Toy Story 3, that is the natural order of things.

However, unlike Andy, if there is a chance that you will want to pick it up again, you will want to have it around. There is a reason so may video game emulators exist. I still play old NES and even Atari Games that I enjoyed. I wish I still had my old systems, but luckily digital media survives the yard sale.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old June 14th, 2013, 09:59 AM

Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If you do decide to sell, we buy everything so only one shipment is needed. Of course we are re-seller's so you won't get as much as Ebay (but likely more than Craigslist. Just google "Auggies Buy Site" and it will pull up our current buying prices.
.....Andrew

i R da speling god
Auggie's Games
Follow us on Facebook Auggies Games Store and Twitter @auggiesgames
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
TERRIBLE SPOILER
Duuuuuude. Use [spoiler][/spoiler] next time. I hadn't seen it.
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Migraine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
TERRIBLE SPOILER
Duuuuuude. Use [spoiler][/spoiler] next time. I hadn't seen it.
*chuckle*

Duuuuuude. No protection for films that came out three years ago. Leia is Luke's sister

~Aldin, who figures that his collection will always be useful as building blocks for stuff he wants to do even if it's not HS related

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion