Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old August 15th, 2022, 03:52 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

Is there any way to make this post sticky, or edit it into the first post? Or some of the pictures posted for that matter. That would be amazingly useful to newcomers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Aggregating all of the Designer's Notes so far + comments from Dad_Scaper about them in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nadeau AKA "Encarmine" on Discord
DESIGNER'S NOTES - DAY 01 - "THE DAWNRAIDER SYNDICATE" A first look at our initial concept boards associated with one of Heroscape's new playable factions for the upcoming release of Age Of Annihilation. The DAWNRAIDER SYNDICATE represented an amazing opportunity to recognize some of our previous fan favorite species in the new product line, while also creating a platform to experiment with new creatures and unit types. Enjoy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encarmine
DESIGNER'S NOTES - DAY 02 - FACTION LORE - The mercenaries of the syndicate call no Valkyrie their master, refusing to bend the knee to any of the warring factions on Valhalla. With motivations as varied as the composition of those species that call the Syndicate their own, the Dawn Raiders take to the battlefields of Valhalla for whichever side pays their high price for temporary loyalty. Often found in the shadows of the main advance, they fight for more than just the spoils, booty or carnage, but because they enjoy the challenge of battle. The Dawn Raiders are led by a charismatic council of captains, who collectively function as the Syndicates governing body in deciding the path of the Dawn Raiders, negotiate terms with the other factions on Valhalla, which contracts to honor, confirm new members into the group etc. With such a diverse mix of characters and specialties within their ranks, there is always a willing crew available for the required task at hand, coming into each battle hard, and making their impact felt, fighting like madmen.
Quote:
DESIGNER'S NOTES - DAY 02 FACTION POWERS - To highlight the awesome powers and synergy between our unique squads and the Dawn Raider Syndicate heroes, lets take a look how these "Monster Slayers" and "The Widow" work together to overwhelm their enemies on the field of battle:
THE CAPTAIN’S WAY - POWER OF UNIQUE SQUAD
At the start of the game, choose one Unique Captain you control to be their chosen assigned Captain. While within 4 clear sight spaces of their chosen Captain, roll one additional defense die against attacks from non-adjacent figures. Before taking a turn with ("The Monster Slayers"), you may first take a turn with their chosen Captain or a Dawn Raider hero you control.

PIRATE COMMANDER - POWER OF UNIQUE HERO
If there is an Order Marker on ("The Widow"), all Dawn Raider figures you control gain one additional attack die when attacking adjacent figures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
So, the pirate faction is one that I spent a lot of time with. What you're looking at here is a couple of powers that are (of course) not final, but are pretty far along in the design stage. "The Widow" is a pirate commander, and the "Monster Hunters" are a pirate squad.

One of the coolest things about pirates, both real and fictional, is the colorful personalities of the captains. So, when setting out the basic structure of the faction, I wanted the relationship of captain and crew to take center stage. What you're looking at here is what I came up with: a sort of bonding power, that interacts with (among others) captains, who in turn might reflect effects back onto the pirates themselves. It's sort of like a Greenscales army, if only the dragons/lizardfolk synergy was a two way street.

I can't reveal entire designs, but I can talk about the faction a bit. I have a few minutes now and I'll have more later.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahScott View Post
Monster Slayers -- a three or four-unit squad? There are five different figures in that Update #2 art page...
Currently 3. Some people already correctly discerned that we are looking at a multi-species squad here.
Quote:
Cap:

1. They are pirates, as you now see. The “Dawnraider Syndicate” is the name of the faction.

2. This squad is unique. There are other Syndicate squads, though.

3. Yes they have other powers.

4. Captain is a new thing.
Quote:
DESIGNER'S NOTES - DAY 03 - RECOGNITION OF OUR PAST AND A PATH TOWARDS OUR FUTURE – For almost two decades, players have endeared themselves to the faces and forms of so many interesting personalities on the surface of Valhalla. When we initiated the project and started development, we made the decision to drastically expand our universe. Giving existing players an opportunity to build out a world they have only seen a small fraction of, while also providing new players a chance to own something themselves. We wanted every new player to feel they possess a level field to begin their collections alongside the original generation of Heroscapers. However, this game means so much to so many players, and the memories it has created for fans are simply the stuff of strategy gaming legend. To that point, we wanted to ensure existing fans were able to affirm that those creatures and narratives they loved could live on into this new era. The Dawn Raider Syndicate provided us with that perfect opportunity to reintroduce many of our most beloved and recognizable species back into The Battle For All Time, reminding us all that the war never ended on Valhalla, and grounding our next chapter in a foundation of our past, while also providing everyone something fresh to spark their imaginations for our future together.
Quote:
DESIGNER'S NOTES - DAY 03 – BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE, BUT FULL OF NEW TWISTS – For so many strategy gamers, HEROSCAPE represented something different and accessible. It reached new players and jump-started a generation of gamers looking to plunge into tabletop wargaming who could stand proud over their armies of battle and apply their competitive spirit. It was a REQUIREMENT from Day 1, that anything we produced would be backwards compatible with existing rule systems and game mechanics. However, it couldn’t simply be “more of” and the team took on the task with zeal to unlock greater depth in the range of abilities and powers. For the team, nothing excites us more then to see how YOU will dive into all new army builds, combinations and strategies, using all new powers to once again march to war upon the surface of Valhalla. And, for those who love their historical ties, perhaps a closer look is needed.

A MASTER OF DISGUISE
If (Pirate Queen Bonny) is targeted with a normal or special attack, roll a 20-sided die. If you roll a 12 or higher, the attacking figure may not attack (Pirate Queen Bonny).
Quote:
What we're looking at here is more parts of the pirate faction, aka the Dawn Raider Syndicate.

There are pirates all over the world, and pirates historically and famously pressgang civilians into service. So it makes sense that our pirates - Heroscape pirates - would be a mishmash of this and that. What a perfect way to include some of our old friends! So here you see "Marro Pirate," a Marro unique hero. I'm reluctant to answer, at this moment, whether we're looking at a Captain or not, but he's a unique pirate hero, so certainly it's a reasonable guess that he might be.

You're also looking at another human, "Pirate Queen Bonny," a master of disguise. Over the course of the coming releases you will see a *lot* of new members of the Heroscape family - new genres, new races, and so on - so the pirates are also an effective way to make sure that we have humans present in the new set.
Quote:
Of course!

And art being what it is, I won’t say that it’s *not* a “space pirate” faction, but I prefer thinking of it as a “Valhalla pirate” faction.
Quote:
DESIGNER'S NOTES - DAY 04 – Wow, those dragons grow up really fast don't they... (Have a great weekend everybody!)
Quote:
DESIGNER'S NOTES - DAY 07 - "THE IRONCLAD COLLECTIVE" FACTION LORE - For eons unknown on their planet of Noxdorma, the Ironclad have been waging war using the cold logic of their data cogitators and the hardened steel of their inorganic weapon systems. The limitations and mortality of their organic species reforged and forgotten, as countless generations focused on perfecting their methods of absolute destruction. Every outcome on the battlefield is pre-calculated, every possible strategy is processed before the first shots are fired. The Collective’s military composition constantly adapts to new battlefield conditions, as they upgrade their cybernetics to counter enemy tactics, sometimes even relinquishing individuality to ameliorate themselves into combined monstrous war machines of searing intensity. Members of the Collective reflect their harsh philosophies of war in various death masks, creating metallic reflections of nightmares and creating a visual persona of fear and despair in the minds of their adversaries. Every potential edge in combat is analyzed, even the psychological advantages gained through uncompromising terror tactics.
Old August 15th, 2022, 04:13 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

You're the second person to suggest something like that minivan. I'll see about creating a separate thread that can be strictly quotes from AH staff and designers, and we can quote it over here.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 15th, 2022, 04:37 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I had thought you would, when I first saw you volunteer.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 15th, 2022, 05:09 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

You could also easily get that compilation post linked in the first post of this thread.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 15th, 2022, 05:19 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Retail doesn't have to mean full on Hasbro Big Box Retail. It could just be marketed to online vendors and hobby stores, for example.
Old August 15th, 2022, 05:19 PM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I vote for the original hex card. Only because all my vc cards were painstakingly double sided printed and cut out. A
Old August 15th, 2022, 05:36 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Retail doesn't have to mean full on Hasbro Big Box Retail. It could just be marketed to online vendors and hobby stores, for example.
Hasbro doesn't seem to have a system in place to do that currently. For example, Gamestop is the only place I have seen HeroQuest for sale, and my local gaming store doesn't seem to know anything about it, despite having hundreds of games in stock. The last Hasbro game product I remember seeing there was Battleship Galaxies.
Old August 15th, 2022, 05:51 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Most games that start in crowdfunding do this as well. The approaches aren’t mutually exclusive.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 15th, 2022, 05:58 PM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Quote:
Hasbro doesn't seem to have a system in place to do that currently. For example, Gamestop is the only place I have seen HeroQuest for sale, and my local gaming store doesn't seem to know anything about it, despite having hundreds of games in stock. The last Hasbro game product I remember seeing there was Battleship Galaxies.
I see it at all the game stores I go to. I guess they’ve got hobby store distribution figured out in Canada.

HeroScape is back Baby! Whoo Hoo!!!
Old August 15th, 2022, 06:10 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
You're the second person to suggest something like that minivan. I'll see about creating a separate thread that can be strictly quotes from AH staff and designers, and we can quote it over here.
Done.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 15th, 2022, 06:28 PM

Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby!

Where did you found the place were ah are asking for card format?
Personnally I am for stick to the existing format which suit really well with all the marker/figures we have to put on card and are visible from the other side of the table. And..to keep a collection with a coherent looking
Old August 15th, 2022, 06:29 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I think you can lock and unlock that thread as needed to prevent posts?
Not 100% as I do not think I have ever locked a thread.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion