Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

View Poll Results: Who do you believe is the better cavalry?
Templar Cavalry 62 63.92%
Grok Riders 35 36.08%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 11th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Unit Debate #5 -- Templar Cavalry Vs. Grok Riders

Time to call in the cavalry!

This week is between the Templar Cavalry, and the Grok Riders. Both are very formidable squads, but who do you think is the best?

I am not asking for some strategies to use, though you could name some if you like. I am asking in your opinion, with proof shown, who you believe is the better unit.

Compare the units by looking at thier:

1. Stats/Special Powers

2. Playability

3. Overall Usefullness

4. Who Would Win Head-To-Head

5. Army Builds

6. Best Strategic Use

Here is an example of how to answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar Gen.
I think most of the time the knights would have the advantage.The way I see it, the knights are good, well rounded figures capable of taking down other squads in decent time due to their 3 atk dice, and lasting for a longer time against heroes due to their 4 defense dice and coward's reward. The gladiators, on the other hand, are heavy hitters. There is one less member to a squad, but most of the time they will have 1 better move and attack than the knights, resulting in better chances of killing tougher targets. Honestly, it's hard to compare the two cause of how different they are. But if it came down to an all out brawl, my money'd be on the knight's squads and the gladiator's heroes.

Unit Debates List is now located in the Official Units Forum!

Hint for next week's debate:

Spoiler Alert!

MegaSilver

Last edited by MegaSilver; July 12th, 2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old July 11th, 2009, 05:37 PM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Unit Debate #5 -- Templar Cavalry Vs. Grok Riders

I personally like the Templar Cavalry better. Both of them aren't very good in my mind, but I feel as though the Templars can stay alive much longer when they keep moving. Plus, you get a bonus when you keep moving. The Groks, first you already had to have invested into a huge Warlord, and then you have to invest in multiple Cavalry. Say the warlord is 100, you can then get warlord and 9 Grok Riders in a match? I don't think so. The Groks die to easily to be taken as that much of a risk. IMO

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old July 11th, 2009, 05:48 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Both seem a bit too fragile, but I go with the Templars because they have better move, a charge bonus (makes sense for a cavalry unit) and they look better in IMO.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old July 11th, 2009, 05:50 PM

Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker

Templar all the way! Groks need a hero to function properly, but the Templar are quite capable of going it alone. The Templar are 10 points less, allowing a slightly larger army build. Their defensive bonus also insures they will stay alive longer than the Groks will, and it's far easier and much more practical getting their attack bonus. I think the choice is quite obvious: TEMPLAR ALL THE WAY!!!
Old July 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM

Gromazeka Woo who?

1. Stats/Special Powers
Bonding is helpful with the Groks, but thier are not many marro warlords out there that would suit the Groks. The Groks are also not able to be reborn by the hive. Galloping charge can do some damage with good rolls. Dismiss the Rabble is obviously helpful, but units like Q9 and Nilf can still take out a squad per OM easily. Righteous smite can help them to earn back their points by attack pricey Utgar figures. SBN comes to mind.

Advantage: Templars

2. Playability
Well...120-130 points make both sqauds pretty unplayable competivly, but due to bonding the Groks hold a slight edge.

Advantage:Groks

3. Overall Usefullness
Templars can get three attacks of six in an ideal situation, and have +1 move.

Advantage: Templars

4. Who Would Win Head-To-Head
Templars for sure! Righteous smmite gives templars +1 attack.

5. Army Builds
Templars x2-240
Dupois-150
Raelin-80
Guilty-30
500 Points

Vs.

NGS-90
MBS-50
Groks x2-260
Raelin-80
Marcu-20

Raelin NEEDS to be in both armies to boost the poor defence of
Groks & Tmplars. Niether of these armys would do great.

Tie

Overall Winner: Templar Cavalry
Old July 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM

panheadman1995 is surprisingly tart

Templar Calvary by a long shot.

2 reasons:

1 - Higher Move
2 - Lower cost

There, those are my reasons.
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:01 PM

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Wow! I didn't expect this one to be such a one-sided debate already!

But I also cast my vote to the Templar Cavalry. They seem to have too many good attack bonuses.

MegaSilver
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:05 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

Templar.

Lower cost, better move, better specials and Dupuis works with them better than any warlord works with the Groks.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:05 PM

Found for useful info:

Templars, Grok Riders, or EI? by rdhight

But, also try to use other reasons, too.

MegaSilver
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:15 PM

TemplarMaster has disabled reputation

I've played a nice 400-point core with the Groks, and they do pretty well.
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromazeka View Post

5. Army Builds
Templars x2-240
Dupois-150
Raelin-80
Guilty-30
500 Points

Vs.

NGS-90
MBS-50
Groks x2-260
Raelin-80
Marcu-20

Raelin NEEDS to be in both armies to boost the poor defence of
Groks & Tmplars. Niether of these armys would do great.

Tie

Overall Winner: Templar Cavalry
I would question the need for Raelin. Those cavalry move FAST and need to move fast to keep alive. Lets say for example you charge your templars into a bunch of drones. Are you really going to spend your next OM to try to fly Raelin in to get that aura going? Or would be wiser to attack with Templars again, (either the engaged squad or a fresh squad to get the full attack bonus)? Using Raellin with these fast moving squads will really hamper their speed significantly. I dunno, for 110 (guilty and raelin) maybe other options might be better.

Or what if your racing the templars across some open terrain. Are you really wanting to take two or three times the OM just to make sure raelin tags along?

I could see Raelin work better with the Groks, they are a bit slower and Ne-Gok-Sa will slow things down also. Might a bit easier to keep raelin with that group.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

But, the Groks bond with Ne-Gok-Sa. Ne-Gok-Sa stays on the battlefield for a LONG time. Whereas the templars get the +2 attack once before they commit themselves to engagement, the groks can keep hammering away with 5 attack as long as they have ne-gok-sa with them. And while he is slower, once he gets there he gets to attempt to mindshackle and then attack with 3 attack, and then the groks get to attack three times with 5. With the slower ne-gok-sa, the groks being slower isnt that big of a deal.

Bottom line, if you draft ne-gok-sa, the groks are a far superior force. Otherwise, templars without a doubt.

So, overall, the templars, because they don't need to be justifed by a hero, but if you draft ne-gok-sa and don't draft the groks....

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units