Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old February 20th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!
Re: Possible Master 3 announcement upcoming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
I'm really convinced that 'wave 9' will in fact be a new Master set. There has been an apparent push to put more terrain out there of late, and I think HasWotC really does listen to what the 'people want'. I'd bet that the reason it took so God-Awful long to get a press release is that they had to take a while to design the terrain, prototype it, playtest it, and then go to production.

To further my position, I think that the reason that they are reprinting Wave 1 in the same timeframe we were expecting W9 to release is that they are hoping to get new players involved. Think about it - if a new master set comes out, people that have maybe never played go out and get one, then get hooked. The first thing I did when I got hooked was see what other boosters were available, and if Wave 1 came out at the same time as when I got started - well I'd pick up every one on the shelf.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Not that I know the ratio, but I think there are too many commons in W9 for it to be converted to a MS (keep in mind Wave 9 was already done before the WotC transfer).
Actually, it's brilliant - if they put a ton of commons in a new master set it will force us to buy 4 master sets each!

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM

GreatWhiteWolf Woo who?

I agree that Marvel Wave 1 announcement would be great..... but unfortunately from the people that had originally said there was going to be an "annoucement", they said that WotC said it was definitely not Marvel related.

But I really like the idea of a mini master set or wave 9 being transformed into Master Set 3 !
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:32 PM

legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby!

I've been with this game since the early days back before we were hanging out on the .net website. The RotV set allows you to play any number of configurations, mixed species, mixed generals etc. with that one box. That box (and its contents) is the reason I have three thousand dollars of plastic in my closet. We got terrain, we got LOS blockers in the ruins and we got a good mix of figures. We didn't get a great deal of specific synergy (only DW9K boosting the Zettian's range) but we did get Raelin's, Thorgrim's and Finn's more general synergies.

SotM did not give the same mix of characters that RotV offered. I appreciate getting multiple sets of commons in the master set, but planned on buying more than one anyway. It gave Raelin's general synergy and Tor-Kul-Na and the hive's specific synergies. It came with less of a variety of terrain, and no LOS blockers.

I have introduced a number of people to the game. I have found that the easiest way to get someone started is to limit the amount of choices they need to feel competitive. I always start with the RotV set. "Pick 500 points out of these cards and we'll go." Always good games. You can't do that as well with SotM. Those people that I have hooked and who were looking to get their own set, I gave my extra RotV figs.

It is my hope that WotC's possible 3rd master set does one of two things: come with the same amount (or at least the same variety) of terrain and LOS blockers as RotV, and or keep a large assortment of characters that have little synergy between them.

WotC's big announcement may be nothing more than the company's reprinting of RotV for the newer players. And, honestly, that will be fine with me. I'm running out of guys to give away anyway.
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:13 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
I'm really convinced that 'wave 9' will in fact be a new Master set. There has been an apparent push to put more terrain out there of late, and I think HasWotC really does listen to what the 'people want'. I'd bet that the reason it took so God-Awful long to get a press release is that they had to take a while to design the terrain, prototype it, playtest it, and then go to production.

To further my position, I think that the reason that they are reprinting Wave 1 in the same timeframe we were expecting W9 to release is that they are hoping to get new players involved. Think about it - if a new master set comes out, people that have maybe never played go out and get one, then get hooked. The first thing I did when I got hooked was see what other boosters were available, and if Wave 1 came out at the same time as when I got started - well I'd pick up every one on the shelf.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Not that I know the ratio, but I think there are too many commons in W9 for it to be converted to a MS (keep in mind Wave 9 was already done before the WotC transfer).
Actually, it's brilliant - if they put a ton of commons in a new master set it will force us to buy 4 master sets each!
...and who am I kidding, I'll buy 10 regardless.

-insert signature here-
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Founding Member of C3G and C3V

Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
If you are right, and Wave 9 is a MS, then I could only imagine it's central theme would be based on the Marro vs Aquilla battle. Maybe with a unique hero named Sgt. Drake "Thorian" Alexander . Of coarse that is just my opinion, which is just speculation based on the last Thormun journal entry, but an Aquilla vs Marro MS would be cool!

Oh, I like to think of God as being kind and just, never really saw him as awful.

GOD Bless SuperFlyTNT
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker

I think it would be cooler to have Vydar get into a fight with Aquilla about their summoning beliefs, and base an MS on their fight. More thematic, and gives units to 2 of the smaller generals.
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:16 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
Maybe with a unique hero named Sgt. Drake "Thorian" Alexander .
A 3rd Sgt Drake figure? No thanks, I want new not remade.

-insert signature here-
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:23 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creationist View Post
I think it would be cooler to have Vydar get into a fight with Aquilla about their summoning beliefs, and base an MS on their fight. More thematic, and gives units to 2 of the smaller generals.
Yeah this is what I have been hoping for. An Aquilla vs Vydar box set so I can fill out those two armies at one time. I don't see them making an all Aquilla and Vydar expansion wave so a master set is the logical way to get those two aremies caught up with Jandar and Utgars' massive armies.
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcurse View Post
I agree with Cav. ROTV is near perfection. The only thing I'd consider adding, and I'm not even so sure, is common squads. Maybe a couple of common squads would round out the deal.

Another option is to simply continue with the waves and have "Master Sets" be mostly terrain packs. Think about it, we all bought multiple MS for the basic terrain, not so much the figs as they were all unique anyway. So perhaps a smaller amount of figs and more terrain and lower price. Something like a mini master set at around 25 bucks. It's good intro to the game and affordable. There could even be different versions of said mini MS. They could have a couple of heroes, a couple of common squads and a unique squad. Just enough for a small intro game. Add some good basic terrains and you're set.

Genius time!!!!: Two-Player starter/expansion sets: Terrain of varied types (or unique types) equal to about 150 hexes, along with around

700 points worth of figures, amounting to, say 2-4 heroes and 2-4squads, or around 14-16 figures.

ERV: $25-$35, depending on awesomeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:54 PM

Huggable Zombie rolls all skulls baby! Huggable Zombie rolls all skulls baby! Huggable Zombie rolls all skulls baby! Huggable Zombie rolls all skulls baby! Huggable Zombie rolls all skulls baby! Huggable Zombie rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
It's good intro to the game and affordable. There could even be different versions of said mini MS. They could have a couple of heroes, a couple of common squads and a unique squad. Just enough for a small intro game. Add some good basic terrains and you're set.
Isn't that basically what SOM was? Or do you mean something that's less than SOM, but more than Marvelscape? Being a fan of the licensed HS (but not at the expense of the originality of regular HS) I think that the Marvelscape set was a perfect/lo-cost introduction to the brand, but could have used 1 or 2 unique squads to get a full flavor of the game.

...Just another nerd.

::: Great Traders: Hilo-scaper x3; Just_A_Bill; SuperflyTNT; Jim x3; Mutt Lo x2; generalgina; Sonlen4MVP; jsilvrs;
::: Avoid: Troubleman23
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I agree with Cav. ROTV is near perfection. The only thing I'd consider adding, and I'm not even so sure, is common squads. Maybe a couple of common squads would round out the deal.

Another option is to simply continue with the waves and have "Master Sets" be mostly terrain packs. Think about it, we all bought multiple MS for the basic terrain, not so much the figs as they were all unique anyway. So perhaps a smaller amount of figs and more terrain and lower price. Something like a mini master set at around 25 bucks. It's good intro to the game and affordable. There could even be different versions of said mini MS. They could have a couple of heroes, a couple of common squads and a unique squad. Just enough for a small intro game. Add some good basic terrains and you're set.
Along these lines, Wizards could produce a terrain pack (including dice, rules and order markers) with an offer for x% off two boosters, or a buy one get one free deal.

The only real disadvantages to this kind of "build your own master set" would be that Wizards wouldn't be as likely to do releases like the wave eight elves (basically spend two packs to release a nearly complete army). And there would be the chance of people being turned off by picking the wrong boosters. It would however, make buying multiple "master sets" more enticing as you wouldn't be stuck with as many figures that you don't need/want.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:59 PM

Skeletor knows what's in an order marker Skeletor knows what's in an order marker Skeletor knows what's in an order marker

I think as stated earlier in this thread if WOTC wants to compete with the WoW mini game they are going to have to release a small starter product for 2 players to get new players into the game.It needs to be small and not take up alot of shelf space.

If they where smart they would just need to release a couple mini starter sets. To contain one unique Hero and a common or unique squad that has synergy with the heros. A small amount of terrain to make a mini map and maybe 2 LOS blockers. Or hell toss in the lexan maps to save even more!!!!!

Set one:
They already have the Desert mountain on the table.
One set of indians(or eygptian) plus vydar (cyborg skeltons/cowboys)with some grass and desert
Desert lexen map

Set two with
Aqulla(Aztec Warriors) and Ullar( Spanyards or Snakes) with swamp and stone terrain
Throw in a couple of statues for LOS blockers
Swap lexan map

A third could be
Winged vikings(or knights) Vs a dragon + whelps
Toss in just stone and sand terrain ( A weaker set with no LOS blockers but it has a large Chiese Einar dragon!!)
Toss in a water lexan map

Charge $25-30 and its a done deal
Small packaging about the size of a WoW starter. New heros + squads for the players already in the game. Plus a small basic intro to addict new players.
Toss in about 3 scenarios per mini starter

Still the battle of all time just in different boxes.

Yes I know it cost more then what we got in the past but I would rather have that then nothing at all and it gets new players into the game.

WOTC if you are listening you have my permission to use this idea just name one of the cyborg skeletons "Skelly"

Someone tell me they hate this idea

Last edited by Skeletor; February 20th, 2009 at 05:28 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News