Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old September 28th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!
Re: Unlimited Start Zone Hexes

Indeed it does affect my start zones. If there were no Start Zone restrictions, I'd play a field of Zombies, or a huge Blade/Arrow Grut army, or a ton of 4th Mass, or a ton of 10th Regiment...the options are almost limitless.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:53 PM

ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
Indeed it does affect my start zones. If there were no Start Zone restrictions, I'd play a field of Zombies, or a huge Blade/Arrow Grut army, or a ton of 4th Mass, or a ton of 10th Regiment...the options are almost limitless.
I considered an all-Zombie team. I also think a pretty deadly option would be:

Zombies of Morindan x5
Marro Stingers x4
===================
540 Points, 27 hexes

Proto's Custom Maps and Units!
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby!

Stingers and Rats is ridiculous. However, I would also like this army:

Zelrig
3x Rats
Krav
Raelin

Even though it didn't break the total. The value of Zelrig and Rats go up with so many commons, IMO. Krav and Raelin are extra offense and defense.

EDIT: 888th post!

Quote:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Deathreavers x12 480...

Zombies x8+ (since 8 squads of zombies can barely fit both point, and start zone wise)

Seriously, an unlimited start zone tournament, I'd probably take Zelrig, who could probably do away with half the army...
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Warning! Reading my posts may make you smarter

mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Krav Maga
Rats x10
500 points

This is why there are start zone limits, lol.
That's what I call putting all of your eggs in one basket.

I think that even with unlimited start-zones, you still need to diversify your offensive threats. I wonder to what extent a start-zone limit actually saves one from him/herself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
5x Stinger
5x Rats

35 Spaces

That is just ugly. Even dropping one of both or two of Deathreavers for Raelin is sick.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Doing away with the limits is pretty abusable with Rats, Drones and Dividers. I can't think of many things with the ability to stop 10xDividers at 500 points. 10xWoA perhaps?
I think Braxas and/or the Hounds would have a pretty good shot at it. The lack of Cell Divide certainly helps to keep the Dividers in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
Stingers and Rats is ridiculous. However, I would also like this army:

Zelrig
3x Rats
Krav
Raelin

Even though it didn't break the total. The value of Zelrig and Rats go up with so many commons, IMO. Krav and Raelin are extra offense and defense.
I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccombju View Post
I've seen a number of threads which approach the topic of adjusting the start zone size. Often these threads debate the merits of finishing a tournament on time, scoring systems, and the subtleties of game designer army card point cost balancing. That isn't the purpose of this thread.

The purpose of this thread is to ask you the question:

How does having an unlimited start zone affect your army choice decisions?
Interesting Post Considering your home town is holding an unlimited NHSD event.

I Think romans and 10th are the way to go:
Marcus: 100
4 X 10th: 400
2 x Romans: 500
25 figures.

I do fear Zelrig, other dragons, Deathwalkers 9000 and 8000. A fair run of luck and your army is toast. Knowing that my opponant might field so many commons that there is no way he can avoid the Zee-bomb in the start zone would make really consider bringing big red to the game.

Wriggz
Indeed.

Part of the reason I floated this thread was to see if people had really strong negative reactions to the prospect of facing a massive common army. Most people have embraced the idea so far, so that makes me much less squeamish about the idea of "pushing the envelope".

Also, the NHSD event is ~unique in that it combines partial scoring with an unlimited start-zone.

Zelrig. He's a pretty interesting option in this environment. A good army should come prepared to both nullify Zelrig's impact and deal with masses of common squads. ...which brings us to Q9. The Major isn't hurting in this format at all...

Last edited by mccombju; September 28th, 2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:11 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Would be offensive to take

Yari x 12
Marcu
400 points and 49 spaces

Yari give you a swarm plus a special attack! Mind you, they will drop like flies.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccombju View Post
Indeed.

Part of the reason I floated this thread was to see if people had really strong negative reactions to the prospect of facing a massive common army. Most people have embraced the idea so far, so that makes me much less squeamish about the idea of "pushing the envelope".

Also, the NHSD event is ~unique in that it combines partial scoring with an unlimited start-zone.
There is also the round/time limit. I doubt 48 rats could do much damange in 50 minuets. Where as One squad of WoA could keep right on killing them. 50 vs. 500 an odd match up.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Zelrig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:40 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Here's a list of all figures listed by Points-per-Hex. It's more helpful when trying to fit in the 24 limit, but the lower values include the kinds of units that fit better in an unlimited format.

Some of my thoughts:

Gladiatrons x5 - 400
Blastatrons x2 - 520
Raelin - 600

29 hexes, deals with rats well, can handle hounds, too.
-------------------------------

Hive - 160
Drones x6 - 460
Stingers x2 - 580

30 hexes, Hive never fits with 24 hex limit, enough drones to swarm, some stingers for high defense heroes.

Sacred Band x4 - 200
10th x2 - 350
MDG - 450
Airborne Elite - 560

29 hexes. Finally enough room for a solid SB and 10th army.

Zombiesx10 - 600
30 hexes.

Braaaainnnsss...

Fyorlag Spidersx10 - 400
Sujoah-585

32 hexes. Maybe with 30 of them you could actually remove some OMs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Rocket View Post

Yari x 12
Marcu
500 points and 49 spaces

Yari give you a swarm plus a special attack! Mind you, they will drop like flies.
I think that's a lot of fun!

It also lets the ashigaru army work well:
Kato - 200
Harq+Yari x4 - 600

33 hexes

Last edited by fomox; September 29th, 2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:36 PM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation

As many arrow gruts as points will allow.

Not one step backwards!
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Rocket View Post

Yari x 12
Marcu
500 points and 49 spaces

Fixed

I sort of like the idea of Venoc Vipers x13 at 520pts, 39 spaces. Or maybe x10 with the Warlord at 31 spaces.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:46 PM

Calzone knows what's in an order marker Calzone knows what's in an order marker

I have a soft (slighty rotten?) spot in my heart for zombies. I'd likely field something similar to

Zombies of Morindan x 6 - 360pts
Krug x 1 - 480pts
Isamu x1 - 490pts

OR

Zombies of Morindan x7 - 420pts
Old Raelin x1 - 500pts

OR

Zombies of Morindan x5 - 300pts
Cyprien Esenwein x1 - 450pts
Sonya Esenwein x1 - 495pts

Zelrig is a problem, but if you can engage him far enough away with Cyprien you may be able to limit his effectiveness, or at least hobble him enough to slowly bring some Zombie Onslaught to bear against him.

Also, any massive common armies you face are likely to have tons of delicious zombie vict-- umm, I mean, hostile medium-sized foes.

Editted for grammar.

Mmm...Tasty.

Last edited by Calzone; September 29th, 2009 at 02:52 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion