Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

View Poll Results: Who will be the Champion and crowned 'Best 4 Species Army'?
A Vampire, A Dwarf, and a Marro Warlord Walk into a Bar... 17 50.00%
Lamentation 2 5.88%
Incredibly Creative Army Name 12 35.29%
Should Have Been from Kinseth 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 22nd, 2014, 07:23 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Competitive Challenge 3: (Final Four Voting Due 1/8)

19 = Foudzing. So there.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 08:29 PM

Not User Name knows what's in an order marker Not User Name knows what's in an order marker

No, Dok's army has to have TKN in it.

EDIT: I am not smart. ^

Last edited by Not User Name; December 23rd, 2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 04:04 PM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
19 = Foudzing. So there.

Old December 23rd, 2014, 06:43 PM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
19 = Foudzing. So there.
Quite possibly...

"elvenwizard9." Now that's a username I've not heard in a long time.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 06:55 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
13) Incredibly Creative Army Name
Deathreavers x3, Nilfheim, Fen Hydra, Krav Maga Agents
Not long after my earlier post, I tried to submit this exact army. I was beaten to it by ten minutes. Those extra ten minutes coming up with a cool army name (Quattro Formaggio, since you ask) have lost me this whole competition. Such is life at the top end of competitive quirky army-building competitions.

I'd actually rather Kaemon than the Fen Hydra in general play, although that disqualifies it here. I thought about Stingers x2 as well, but didn't want to submit something that I thought was definitely worse than something already out there.

In the end I didn't get a submission in. Although I did think a bit about a Romans build, and no-one submitted my preferred one (Romans x4, Ne-Gok-Sa, Mogrimm, Venoc Warlord) which is not so bad, but I get nervous about playing Romans without Marcus.
Old December 24th, 2014, 08:09 AM

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I would swap Deathreavers for Greenscales tho. Or i don't know, Greenscales are better because they use no OMs and have better attack, but it's true tht 6 isn't much of a screen, 12 figures is safer.

To me the best build were by far:
Dragon
Deathreavers/Greenscales/Siders (if Quahon)
Kravs
Good standalone non-human hero.

After it's just little tweaks I choosed Braxas because it's good against melee and screens and is not annoyed too much by Kravs. But with this choice I was not able to get the Hydra. My other build was Quahon+Spiders(better than greensclaes without Raelin)+Kravs+ Hydra, but Quahon is not avalaible so I went with Braxas.

Old December 26th, 2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
1) Beastmasters
Arrow Gruts x3, Swog Rider x2, Mimring, Ice Troll Berserker, Raelin (SotM)
OKish Arrows Grut army, not easy to find the right balance with the restrictions. But given the maps I don't think the Arrows Gruts were the right choice anyway, no real answer to Kravs unfortunately.

Quote:
2) We Can Kill This Thing Together, Standing Strong Forever, Nothing’s Gonna Stomp Us Now
Maarden Nagrubs x3, Tor-Kul-Na, Fen Hydra, Krav Maga Agents
Very good TKN army. I don't think the Fen Hydra will be very usefull because there is not much stuff which can't be answered by TKN or Nabgrubs or Kravs. I would have choosed a more cleanup figure, but the Hydra is still a very safe choice.

Quote:
3) Blades/Claws/Fangs
Zombies of Morindan x2, Maarden Hounds x1, Ninjas of the Northern Wind, Elite Onyx Vipers, Kozuke Samurai, Isamu
OM management nightmare, you'll struggle against any common squad based army and o a less extent to armies with good screen figures.
Taking ninjas and Kozuke and EOV, who have basically the same role, is an overkill, and you have not enough zombies to make them work effectively.
Lacks of range is not as much of a big problem because you have figures to counter range, but range and/or special attacks are almost always usefull and it's good to have afew for verasility's sake.

Quote:
4) A Vampire, A Dwarf, and a Marro Warlord Walk into a Bar…
Roman Legionnaires x3, Mogrimm Forgehammer, Me-Burq-Sa, Cyprien Esenwein, Marro Warriors
Great great army, I don't think the lack of Marcus is a problem, the maps don't penalize 4 move figures too much you have range to back up the Romans and Cyprien against annoying range perfect.

Quote:
5) Diversity of Utgar
Ornak, Brunak, Frost Giant of Morh, Mimring, Marcu Esenwein, Isamu
A full-hero Ornak build is a bit better in this meta with less commons, but still I don't think Ornak is gainful in less than 600 points, you're forced to take Brunak who will be not very usefull in fight and can be easily blocked. You're basically relying on just Mimring and FGoM to kill the whole opponent's army, it's very confident. One Hydra or 2 are missing, Hydra is too good to pass in this build.

Quote:
6) Monsters & Men
Ashigaru Harquebus x3, Ornak, Krug, Fen Hydra, Isamu
Interesting design, but same I don't think Ornak is worth it here. YOu're relying on an insane Krug+Hydra turn which straight up win the game, but it will not happen aginst a good opponent unless you got really lucky. No real answers to rats and Kravs.

Quote:
7) M.O.O.C Squad
Marro Stingers x2, Death Chasters of Thesk x2, Torin, Ogre Warhulk, Swog Rider x1
Torin is too difficult to play and can create OM mistake from your side.
6 DCoT is very few, they can be sniped by range units before they can do anything.
I would go with something like 3xDcoT, 2xStingers, Ogre Pulverizer, Heirloom, Nerak, which is safer and easier to play.

Quote:
#8 Lamentation
Deathreavers x3, Greenscale Warriors x2, Nilfheim, Krav Maga Agents (sit two deathreavers)
I am not very fan of Greenscales+Deathreavers, I think it's overkill, but it's certainly good in some machups. A great army, you can't really go wrong with such figures.

Quote:
9) C’MON, HIT ME
Marro Stingers x3, Torin, Fen Hydra, Zettian Guards, deathreavers x1
Interesting Torin army even if to me Torin is very situationnal, the counterstrike will not be very effective with only 3 defense, and for 190 points there is way better stuff than the Torin+Zettian guard combo.
A good and balanced army, but just not strong enough againt top tier units.

Quote:
10) Death of Fresh Air
Death Knights of Valkrill x4, Dumutef Guard x4, Air Elemental x3, Krav Maga Agents
Really fun army, Air Elementals can really mess up your opponent if well played, and are a very good protection for Kravs.
The DK + dumutef core is also a very good choice considering 3/4 maps have road. A very fun and quite effective army made out of usually non-competitive units? Sign me up!

Quote:
11) a Robot and his Beasts
Arrow Gruts x2, Swog Rider x1, Mimring, Krug, Major Q10
Too much heroes and not enough Gruts with only 1 Swog to support, past the first 2 rounds you'll end up playing a 3 heroes army.

Quote:
12) Gimme Your Soul
Shades of Bleakewoode x2, Kaemon Awa, Fen Hydra, Ne-Gok-Sa
Hard time against commons, except if Kaemon play one of his A-games where he destroys everything. Shades will only be usefull for the D20 power, their assassination ability is way reduced with this map pool, NGS is too hard to play without bonding and the Hydra can be easily blocked. It'll be a "pray to win" army.

Quote:
13) Incredibly Creative Army Name
Deathreavers x3, Nilfheim, Fen Hydra, Krav Maga Agents
Quite insane, you have answers to anything, good balance and easy OM management for the format.
Then it's the Greenscales or Deathreavers debate, both are really good.

Quote:
14) Come Eat at Q’s
Major Q9, Nakita Agents, Laglor, Black Wyrmling x4
Very good range army, only problem can be very strong melee armies (not present here) and big guys on fire. Pretty good army but a Krug alone can destroy it with some luck.

Quote:
15) The Green Arrow
Greenscale Warriors x2, Braxas, Syvarris, Ana Karithon
Too fragile against KRavs at my taste, very tricky to play, especially on these mas where you have to go forward quite fast.

Quote:
16) Rats in the Jungle
Deathreavers x3, Marro Stingers x2, Raelin (SotM), Sgt. Drake Alexander (SotM)
I like Drake choice could be very good in this meta. No real weakness and Strong units, very good army.

Quote:
17) Stereotyped Arrow Gruts
Arrow Gruts x2, Swog Rider x2, Mimring, Krug, Raelin (SotM), Isamu
Best Arrows Grut army around here, only 6 Gruts tho.
This confirm that Arrows gruts were not the best choice imo.

Quote:
#18 Gorillas in the Mist
Gorillinators x2, Nakita Agents, Red Wyrmling x4, Warriors of Ashra x2, Otonashi
Not very good in this meta with a lot of special attacks and less commons. I don't think it will work.

Quote:
20) Ready to Resubmit
Maarden Nagrubs x3, Tor-Kul-Na, Raelin (SotM), Krav Maga Agents
Very good TKN army. Even if SotM Raelin is not insane and was overestimated in my opinion in this event. Here it's good because the Hydra don't add much I prefer this one than #1.

Quote:
21) There Will Be War
Roman Legionnaires x2, Mogrimm Forgehammer, Ne-Gok-Sa, Raelin (SotM), Krav Maga Agents
Good roman army, but I prefer #4. Here I think there too much supporting and not enough firepower. Can be insane if you play very well tho.

Quote:
22) Should Have Been From Kinseth
Greenscale Warriors x2, Nilfheim, Raelin (SotM), Krav Maga Agents
You can't really go wrong with such figures. I would have take Hydra over Raelin (#13), but it's still very very good.

Quote:
23) Spidergirl and her Disgusting Friends
Fyorlag Spiders x4, Wyvern x1, Estivara, Raelin (SotM), Drow Chainfighter x2, Marcu Esenwein
Wow very gimmick army, I kinda see what the point is. I would have take some ranged support or clean up figures instead of Estivara or Raelin which is too much supporting in my opinion.

Quote:
24) Relentless Frenzy
Death Knights of Valkrill x2, Air Elemental x2, Venoc Warlord, Sir Hawthorne, Aubrien Archers x2
Venoc Warlord is not very worth it here and as you already have your 4 species you can easily replace him with more commons. Interesting build otherwise, I prefer#10 tho.

Quote:
25) Hairy and Ugly
Anubian Wolves x3, Dumutef Guard x4, Warden 816, Gurei-Oni, Otonashi
Well fun and thematic, and I do like Anubians Wolves in this meta, but you lacks numbers and some "safe" firepower against commons.

Quote:
26) Monkey in the Middle
Goblin Cutters x4, Krug, Laglor, Krav Maga Agents (sit 1 goblin cutter)
I don't think Goblins are very good in this meta, but still a good hodgepodge army.

Old December 27th, 2014, 12:50 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Ok, I couldn't help myself

A Vampire, A Dwarf, and a Marro Warlord Walk into a Bar…

The bartender says, 'Hey Me-Burq-Sa, Why the long face?'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Vampire says 'Ow'
The Marro Warlord says 'Ow'
The Dwarf says, 'What's all the fuss about up there?'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dwarf comes up to the bartender. 'You should get me a hearty drink for free. I am a fearless leader and with a 20 on my die I can strike down enemies on the field who threaten my comrades'

The Marro Warlord comes up the bartender and hisses, 'You should give me, the Mighty Me-Burq-Sa, a free drink. A 20 on my die will paralyze you with fear causing you to cower in the corner in the fetal position allowing me to whiff destroy you.

The Vampire comes up to the bartender. 'I am LORD OF THE NIGHT. All fear to cross my path. A 20 on my die will bring even the mightiest of dragons low. None stand before the might of the Esenwein leader.'

The Large, unengaged, Soulborg bartender turned to the trio. 'Not impressed. Pay up before I have you all thrown into an Isadoran prison.'
Old December 27th, 2014, 03:09 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Moral of the story is, Q9 sucks as a bartender.

Lol good stuff though.
Old December 28th, 2014, 09:47 AM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
3) Blades/Claws/Fangs

Zombies of Morindan x2, Maarden Hounds x1, Ninjas of the Northern Wind, Elite Onyx Vipers, Kozuke Samurai, Isamu
"OM management nightmare, you'll struggle against any common squad based army and o a less extent to armies with good screen figures.
Taking ninjas and Kozuke and EOV, who have basically the same role, is an overkill, and you have not enough zombies to make them work effectively.
Lacks of range is not as much of a big problem because you have figures to counter range, but range and/or special attacks are almost always usefull and it's good to have afew for verasility's sake."

I was aiming for fun, not competitive.

I would have squeezed in more zombies if I could.

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old December 28th, 2014, 01:41 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
I would have squeezed in more zombies if I could.
Take out Isamu and NotNW and you have room for two more squads. Since you already had the Kozuke filling the human figure quota, that army (zombies x4, Hounds x1, EOV, Kozuke) satisfies the format.

It's one figure over, though, plus x1 of a common is usually bad and I agree with Foudzing that EoV and Kozuke are redundant to some extent. In my general advice for playing Zombies (see sig) you could then drop Kozuke for Krav, giving you a way to reel opponents into the zombie's arms. There are lots of options for what to sub Hounds and EoV out for to meet the figure limit. I might go something like Iron Golem + Black Wyrmling x3, just because it's such a Dragon/Krav heavy metagame. So...

Zombies x4, Krav Maga Agents, Black Wyrmling x3, Iron Golem

Not quite the powerhouse of some of the armies in this challenge, but definitely no pushover.
Old December 28th, 2014, 02:36 PM

I like the Kozuke tho, in this format they can be devastating if they manage to pass the screen.
Zombies x4 + Hounds + Kravs + Kozuke seems fun and can win.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion