Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old September 18th, 2014, 12:30 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: Long Island Heroscape League- September - Lord of the Ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
I love what Griznakh said on his LOTR customs thread about complementing Sherman Davies' customs with his own. I'm hoping we'll do LOTR again in the future, and it would be great if we can mix and match them all. Also, you could have other people come up with scenarios using a common pool of both designers' custom LOTR cards--so you three (including John Gee) wouldn't have to design all the scenarios, unless you wanted to do so.

I'm speaking as someone who has no LOTR cards/figures (unless you want to play in 54mm of course) but love Tolkien and would be happy to ransack his works for scenarios. The First and Second Age of The Silmarillion remain virgin territory for example, unless you guys are starting them out on Saturday!
Re: "in the future..." I too would be agreeable to doing another LotR Themed event in the 'future' - as long as - it's NOT TOO soon after this one. And it doesn't have to in September just because other Tolkien fans are celebrating Bilbo's & Frodo's birthdays on the 22nd.

Re: "common pool..." There would be no reason for all of us to be collecting the same obscure and out of print figures if there was such a "common pool' of them to draw from, even if they are still available through an O-L eBay store, which I can share with anyone who's interested. I certainly won't be buying any 54mm any time soon, but now know where to go if I ever want to dabble in that scale. I wish the HS:HOME Team would get their act together and release some "APPROVED" (play-tested and community sanctioned) LotR cards - similar to the way the C3V, SoV, and even HoSS Teams have done. If fact, I initially thought that we were doing this event in order to "Play-Test" @Sherman Davies ' card designs and hopefully move that process along.

Re: "unless you wanted to..." I actually enjoy building HS maps, building HS armies, building HS custom terrain, AND designing scenarios to try things all together. And would gladly do it again. I am just new to the way things are done in the Long Island League. Again I had the initial misconception that I was going to bring some of my 1,000+ LotR figures to use in a HS tournament type setting and was just caught off guard when I finally realized that I would have to create my own 4-Player scenario if my intentions were going to conform to the group leader's pre-established agenda. Oh well, no problem - I adjusted in order to harmoniously participate. I would also collaborate with other players regarding a "future" First or Second Age scenario, but I am unfamiliar with anything outside of the Peter Jackson film version of the LotR Trilogy and would focus my efforts on providing the maps and models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
I'm not planning on doing anything Silmarillion related. My scenarios, while based on encounters from the books, are more like "what if" games. In fact they may not be very balanced. But that doesn't really matter to me. This is less of a "who will win" than a "let's have fun playing the scenario". If a scenario is not working then we'll just adjust it on the fly. I can definitely say this about what I'm doing. It sure isn't the old you start on one side of the board and I'll start on the other and we'll meet in the middle and fight.

Added: I might add that at this time I have no interest in designing cards for some of the other, more important figures like Gandalf and Frodo. I have no need to. Sherman Davies' cards are perfectly fine as they are. Except the text could be a bit bigger….
Re: "what if games..." That's simply wonderful - I am seriously looking forward to trying this "different" approach to the typical tournament formats that I have experienced over the years. I am all about playing to HAVE FUN and *not* about who can rack up the most points to take home the biggest prize and maybe a trophy. As an US Army Intel Sergeant I was often involved with creating and running field maneuver scenarios for real soldiers to test how they would handle extreme conditions and unusual circumstances... the "WHAT IF's." And this tradition still permeates my casual and fantasy war gaming sessions.

Re: "designing cards..." I also have *NO* interest in designing my own cards, actually I do have desires to, but I don't have any of the prerequisite skills or equipment to accomplish such a task. I am delighted with the cards that Sherman has already produced and sent him a long list of additional characters that I would like to see have their own HS Stat Card, simply because I have the figures that are not being utilized currently in their intended "Combat Hex" rules and mechanics as published by Sabertooth Games Inc. I even offered to reward him with copies of those figures, since I have some extras that I'd be willing to part with, because I don't have sufficient extra CA$H on hand to pay him.

Re: "we'll just adjust it on the fly..." O.M.G. @Grishankh - I hope you're not thinking of having the Silver Surfer zoom in and rescue Gandalf from the Balrog or beefing up Aragorn to Kaemon Awa's awesomeness??? ~~lol~~ Have A Nic eDay; - ) ... C'ya Sat.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old September 20th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Aragorn: "What does your heart tell you?"

Gandalf: "That it's Game Day!!!!!!!!"
Old September 20th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Thanks for a simply great day of gaming everyone. The good guys won some, the bad guys won some. In the end we all won, judging from the amount of laughter and the intensity of most of the games. Thanks to all that made our 1st Lord of the Rings Heroscape game day such a success. We should definitely make it an annual event.
Old September 21st, 2014, 12:22 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

It was indeed a fine day of gaming. I played Evil in three games:

Game #1 GM: JohnGee

"Die, you pointy eared freak!"
--Chas, loud enough for all to hear at a crucial turning point

Here I found maginificent minis on a truly original and wonderful map. My Uruk-hai army had crossbows, archers, infantry, and three Heroes--one of which was leading the two captive hobbits. I faced Elves, and later did an end run on some Gondorians. The scenario was excellent, and the game only needed a few more specialized custom LOTR cards, instead of the substitute Classic Scape cards used. With such large armies, I can see why the GM was interested trying it some day without the use of Order Markers, as my army was bigger than my start zone. You need to do more solitaire playing, John, and try that out! This was a semi team game, so thanks for helping me out at the end Son of Griz (Mr. Orc).

Game #2 GM: Griznakh

This was a full 4 player team game, and with Orc archers, infantry, a couple of trolls and warg riders starting all around the entire large map perimeter, we swarmed up the two hills. The Good Rangers lit their signal beacon on one hill the first turn, so they gave us a good run for our money, signalling reinforcements to enter early and opening out the archery range. I got an improbable archery hit in on Turn One on Frodo (of his 3 lives) who was standing atop the other hill, which gave us a morale boost at start. I was actually trying to get him to flee onto the bridge connecting both hills, but he never moved from his space! In both Griz games we teammates place our markers on common cards, which gave us maximum flexibility in coordinating our evil hordes. It was great fun planning our moves together.

Game #3 GM: Griznakh

Here I used the same evil types, with a Balrog vs the Fellowship on the bridge at Moria, and once again had a smart partner to work with. A wild melee ensued all over the map past the wall of smoke, after our trolls placed two stones across it for our troops' passage. The scenario was well thought out, and we had lots of fun. The game included the beautiful custom minis and terrain used in any Griznakh event--he's a professional artist, and puts in a lot of effort. After his intro, we players took over, and Griz got to go off and play something else as we whacked away at each other.

Our day's event took over most of the store in the afternoon, and we had three large tables for our four bigf Scape maps reserved. Complex strategies and interesting choices faced us in all the games in which I took part. As a guy who delights most of all in a good scenario, this was a very entertaining day. Thanks to all the Game Masters and participants!

And if Good won anywhere, as our host says above, it wasn't in any of my games! MWAHAHA!

Last edited by chas; September 21st, 2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:22 PM

Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby! Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby! Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby! Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby!

Now I have added a Picture to my Signature so I could share the picture.

Had a great time and hope to be able to do it again.

Born of Two Signs / Also Might have Two Sides
Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:29 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Thanks to everyone who came out and thanks to Grish and johngee for supplying some great scenarios and beautiful maps! It was very gratifying to see people having fun with our LotR customs - it makes all the hard work worthwhile.

Quote:
We should definitely make it an annual event.
Yes, if for no other reason than the fact that I have yet to play a game with johngee.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:30 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Thanks to everyone who came out and thanks to Grish and johngee for supplying some great scenarios and beautiful maps! It was very gratifying to see people having fun with our LotR customs - it makes all the hard work worthwhile.

Quote:
We should definitely make it an annual event.
Yes, if for no other reason than the fact that I have yet to play a game with johngee.
If you're willing to make it down to Maryland on the 18th you might just get that chance.

Old September 23rd, 2014, 11:11 AM
Titleless

Quote:
And thanks to you for bringing what looked to be an amazing scenario as well. I would have loved to have played it. If it wasn't for your creation of the majority of the cards we would not have been able to hold this event. Perhaps we can keep building on this and expand the Tolkien/Heroscape universe?

I did post some photos of my games in my terrain thread. I'll try to get some shots of the rest of the games on this thread soon.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...postcount=1596
Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:45 PM

Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby! Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby! Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby! Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
And thanks to you for bringing what looked to be an amazing scenario as well. I would have loved to have played it. If it wasn't for your creation of the majority of the cards we would not have been able to hold this event. Perhaps we can keep building on this and expand the Tolkien/Heroscape universe?

I did post some photos of my games in my terrain thread. I'll try to get some shots of the rest of the games on this thread soon.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...postcount=1596
Pictures look Great and all the boards were awesome. Highly enjoyed the hard work you all put into the set up!

Born of Two Signs / Also Might have Two Sides
Old October 13th, 2014, 12:15 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to this month's gameday because of a birthday party. Have fun, and see you all next month!
Old October 13th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Titleless

Re: Long Island Heroscape League - October Game Day, Sat. 18

October 2014 Game Day!!

Where:
Legendary Realms Games, Plainview, NY

When:
Saturday, October 18th.

Time:
11:00 - Pregame meetup for lunch at Panera Bread
(located a 1/2 mile West of the store).

12:00 - Set up and start playing.

6:00+ For those of us who can stay later we'll probably do pizza for dinner again this month.

This month our theme will be Open Game Day!

It's a bring what you want to play game day. This can be Heroscape but can also include board games, card games, etc.

Grishnakh

Our normal, monthly club meeting is always the third Saturday of each month at Legendary Realms Games in Plainview, NY (unless there is a conflict with a holiday). If you'd like more information PM me.

I'll be updating this thread with more information as time goes along.

Old October 13th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Titleless

Quote:
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to this month's gameday because of a birthday party. Have fun, and see you all next month!
Have a great B'Day Party!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events