Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old November 12th, 2009, 06:42 PM

Messenger has disabled reputation
Hero advantage like Height advantage

From reading playa1's thread,it appeared his intentions were to balance the game in favor of Heroes by making them more durable. His suggestion was to raise the defense of all figures by one. Unfortunately, as many commented, this would lengthen game time (which is generally undesirable in most tournaments), and have a negligible effect in balancing out the Hero/Squad divide (and may actually make Squads more desirable).

I would like to suggest, as a solution to tilt the advantage back toward Heroes, a rule that everyone is already familiar with, and that is usable without altering the cards' printed values:

Hero Advantage
When attacking a Squad figure, a Hero may roll one additional die.
When defending against a Squad figure, a Hero may roll one additional die.

This rule’s mechanic works similar to Height Advantage, allowing a Hero to roll one additional die when attacking, or defending against, a Squad figure.

Special Attack rules still apply, so Q9 does NOT gain more dice for his Queglix gun, and Nilfheim rolls 4 dice with his Ice Breath regardless of who he’s attacking.

Note that the Krav Maga Agents (a squad) do NOT gain this advantage, and Counterstrike is held in check, being mainly a squad-based ability (though you may want to attack Kaemon Awa and Charos with a Hero from now on). On the other hand, the Dumutef Guard, and Swog Rider both get a boost from this rule variant.

I’d be interested to hear thoughts on this, as it seems to solve the Hero-Squad disadvantage issue, with a game mechanic we are already used to using.

There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:22-24
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:11 PM

Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Hero advantage like Height advantage

I dunno, I generally find heroes pretty powerful already when played well. I don't like adding an automatic handicap.

Just my opinion though- still, an intriguing concept.

I'm selling a bunch of Heroscape stuff to pay for personal emergencies, please see my trade thread post: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...postcount=6803
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It's not a bad take. I kind of like the simplicity of it. However it is a long way from solving a lot of the normal arguments revolving around heroes vs squads.
Such arguments as; A) Partial and whole card scoring devalue debate B) Activations per turn and efficient play.
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:45 PM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

The only thing about the adding one defense/attack rule is that I would not want to take down a 4/4 Raelin with squads or 3/3 with only heroes. If this idea were to transform somehow with the "What's in an order marker" thread. IE. Cheerleaders do not roll extra defense. However that would take away from the simplicity.

Your idea is a simple yet effective take on how the game is played, which I may try sometime.

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:03 PM

Messenger has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmage7a View Post
It's not a bad take. I kind of like the simplicity of it. However it is a long way from solving a lot of the normal arguments revolving around heroes vs squads.
Such arguments as; A) Partial and whole card scoring devalue debate B) Activations per turn and efficient play.
Thanks for the input. Please understand, I in no way want to stifle debate, but PLEASE do not turn this into a partial card/full card scoring debate. There is enough here to discuss without visiting that argument again, and there are already enough threads dealing with that topic.

Your second point is worth mentioning, considering most heroes only get one attack per activation. The anti-squad nature of Hero Advantage should raise their effectiveness.

There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:22-24
Old November 12th, 2009, 11:38 PM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!

Squads may get more attack, but a squad figure is easily taken out. I've never experienced this idea that squads are somehow more powerful than heroes per point.
Old November 12th, 2009, 11:47 PM
pretty princess pony precious power!

J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think Combined Arbalest may beg to differ. I am really behind the Protectors of Ullar and Atlaga. They gave me a reason to like Ullar.
Old November 12th, 2009, 11:51 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

What if we add a die and then take away a die and then multiple by 4..(carry the 1)...then divide by 7.238 mulitply again by the players shoe size....and then just just play the game the way it was intended?
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:19 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Sounds like a cool ability for a new unit Messenger. Not so much for a blanket rule change IMO.

nyys, who prefers to 'fix' issues within the game with new units.

-insert signature here-
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:34 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Ditto.

I used to think (and still do, to an extent) that heroes were consistently outmatched by their equivalent points' worth of squads, but I started to think of the advantage of heroes being this: heroes allow you to pack a lot of power into a small space. If you want to lessen squadscape, simply lower your starting spaces to 22 or even 20. The need to spend all your points while fitting your army into a smaller space really allows heroes to shine.
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:38 AM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Ditto.

I used to think (and still do, to an extent) that heroes were consistently outmatched by their equivalent points' worth of squads, but I started to think of the advantage of heroes being this: heroes allow you to pack a lot of power into a small space. If you want to lessen squadscape, simply lower your starting spaces to 22 or even 20. The need to spend all your points while fitting your army into a smaller space really allows heroes to shine.
Plus, heroes generally have better powers, more life, et cetera.
Old November 13th, 2009, 01:30 AM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think that it would be fun to try. Some figures like Krug could get rediculously powerful. Other figures like Syvaris and Agent Skahen could really shine.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion