Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion
Marvel Discussion General discussion, units, rules & FAQs specific to Marvel HS

Old December 17th, 2008, 11:31 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Marvel Must Reads?

Ok I am at a complete loss. I have a subscription to Marvel.com's digital comic books, but I don't know what to read. There are thousands (5,000 something to be exact). I've read 1-50 of the original X-Men run and loved it. One of my top 10 was Venom v. Carnage and then Toxin. Also read some original Avengers, New Avengers, Thunderbolts, and Daredevil. But I just finished up some more recent Dardevil and was not so satisfied. I was wondering if anyone had any insight to offer.

Does anyone have any favorites? Great story-lines? Must reads for someone who only got into comics a year ago and has not read that much?

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations because it is overwhelming and the latest stuff hasn't been amazing.

Old December 17th, 2008, 11:46 PM

The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker
Re: Marvel Must Reads?

The Amazing Spider-man (and Amazing Fantasy #15) was an instant classic. The originals are great, both in art and story. Go with those.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast"
Ephesians 2:8-9

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved" Acts 16:31

PM me if you would like to know more.

Last edited by The Silver Surfer; December 18th, 2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:04 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I am still a fan of the GI Joe series...alot of good storyline stuff.

And with the live action movie coming out this summer it might be a good time to catch-up
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I am a huge Avengers fan, and by far my favorite run is 150-177. There are some great classic story lines that are really developed well. The stories build slowly and carefully and with great foresight.

If you have a chance to read them, you will see why I wanted customs of characters like Negaria, Grim Reaper, Graviton, etc.
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:45 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Well, this should really go in the Comics sub-forum, but...

The "Born Again" story in Daredevil #227-233 is arguably the best story ever told with the character, and one of the best superhero stories, period. It may change your mind about Daredevil. I'm not sure what meant by "recent Daredevil," but the current run by writer Ed Brubaker and artist Michael Lark has been nothing short of fantastic.

If I were to recommmend runs of my favorite character, Spidey, I would have to say that you should learn the basics with the comics that laid his foundations, the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko/John Romita Sr./Gerry Conway/Gil Kane run of Amazing Spider-Man #1-122. After that you can keep going or jump ahead to my other favorite period, the late '70s, early '80s with writers Roger Stern and Tom Defalco and artists John Romita Jr. and Ron Frenz, roughly issues #224-296.
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:40 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation

Any issues of the Hulk drawn by Sal Buscema, especially when Bill Mantlo was writing it. Sal may have had a more cartoony style than his brother's, but I think he was a master at visual storytelling. Bill Mantlo was my favorite comics writer as a kid, and rediscovering his stuff as an adult, his stuff still seems to hold up.
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:58 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Well, this should really go in the Comics sub-forum, but...

The "Born Again" story in Daredevil #227-233 is arguably the best story ever told with the character, and one of the best superhero stories, period. It may change your mind about Daredevil. I'm not sure what meant by "recent Daredevil," but the current run by writer Ed Brubaker and artist Michael Lark has been nothing short of fantastic.
Actually I loved this story. Absolutely Amazing. Recent meant the storyline where the Owl is kicked out of power and Kingpin returns only to be immediately killed by Daredevil. It was good, but I guess I didn't expect Kingpin to be brought back only to get his butt kicked again.

Born Again though was fantastic. I was looking for more stories similar to that. Maybe the other Daredevil was just a let down after that story arc?

Thanks to everyone! Keep them coming. I'll get a chance to read later tonight when I get home. I'm excited.

Old December 18th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I'd recommend the Phoenix story. If anything it is so you can see how bad they messed up X-men 3.
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Master Custom Creator & HS Codex Editor-in-Chief

atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby!

Adam Warlock the original; series ran in Strange Tales 178-181, Warlock vol.1 #1-15. The Magus story is exceptional.
The Death of Captain Marvel by Jim Starlin, this is a graphic novel.
Ironman vol 1 run by David Michelinieand Bob Layton about 116-157 (first alcoholism stuff) also Ironman vs. Dr. Doom annuals by Bob Layton (mid 80's)
John Byrne's run on the Fantastic Four #232-293
Frank Miller run on DareDevil #158-191
Steve Engelhart's mid 70's run on Dr. Strange.
Moon Knight original run by Doug Moench and Bill Sienkiewicz

But really most of Marvels best stuff is in the Epic line.
Six from Sirius
Air Tight Garage by Moebius
Moonshadow by J M DeMatteis is a must read
Marshall Law
Starstruck by Mike Kaluta
Stray Toasters by Bill Sienkiewicz
The Metamorphosis Odyssey / The Price/ Dreadstar epic storyline by Jim Starlin
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs part of Xenozoic Tales by Mark Schultz
Coyote by Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers

The Meaning of Life is to Give Life Meaning!

The More I learn, the Less I know.

Last edited by atmospro; December 18th, 2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old December 18th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi1hi1hi1hi1 View Post

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations because it is overwhelming and the latest stuff hasn't been amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmospro View Post
Marshall Law
Heck yeah. So funny and good. Pat Mills is one of my all-time favorite comic authors. But I wonder if it would be available to H1hih1h1h1's digital subscription?

Classic Avengers run include the Kree-Skrull War.
Read this just for the issue where Ant-Man enters the Vision's comatose-like body in an effort to rescue the synthoid, but only to be nearly killed by the Vision's immune system.
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2...796d201iu5.jpg

The Frank Miller Daredevil issues are pure awesome. Likewise when he returned to team up with personal favorite David Mazzuchelli and created the Born Again DD story arc is quite tasty.

H1, also keep in mind that you can buy complete digital collections of the main Marvel titles on CD-Rom discs: Capt. America, Fantastic Four, Avengers, Ghost Rider, X-Men, Hulk, and Spider-Man for under $40.00 each!
http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Rider-Co...9641710&sr=8-3
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:41 AM

Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby!
Smile Re: Marvel Must Reads?

Uncanny X-men 94-142 are great classic stories and art that are tough to beat.
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:51 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Uh... welcome, Drewman-chu, I guess. Been lurking for a while, huh?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion