Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 11th, 2014, 03:18 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: HeroScape / Risk mashup

Daniel, I can see that, and I usually think of Einar as good too. I am saying that we should make him neutral not only because he can be considered to be in the lore, but also because it would make this more balanced for the two (or three) players/teams.

On the topic of Myvra, I think we should ignore her for now, maybe at some point we could include her though (and anybody could on their own include her, but I think for the 'official' RiSkape we should leave her out).

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old July 11th, 2014, 04:10 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Hey, thanks for all the comments!

Yes, I remember that Einar was allied with Utgar in the early days. (Was that so the Yanks could fight the Brits?) Nice recap of the "story so far." I think in some ways RiSkape is retelling the history -- finding the Wellsprings, forming alliances -- so however you want that story to go, play it that way. Lots of room for variants! Want to have 3 v 3 v 3 with Myrva and Einar joined with Vydar, awesome! I like the balance of 3 Good vs 3 Evil, but I'm also fond of keeping Einar in with the Good, and in giving the Good Alliance a harder task but a bigger reward. But really, however you want to play it.

I had originally put Ullar out in a team game because of the map -- Jandar and Ullar being adjacent seemed too easy, but of course Valkrill and Utgar are next to each other too. So, let the players pick.

As for Fortify, I think the Official Rules are, from one territory to one adjacent territory, but I've heard the "Supply Line" variant is popular. I'll include it as a RiSkape variant.
Old July 11th, 2014, 04:22 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshMEL View Post
Hey, thanks for all the comments!

Yes, I remember that Einar was allied with Utgar in the early days. (Was that so the Yanks could fight the Brits?) Nice recap of the "story so far." I think in some ways RiSkape is retelling the history -- finding the Wellsprings, forming alliances -- so however you want that story to go, play it that way. Lots of room for variants! Want to have 3 v 3 v 3 with Myrva and Einar joined with Vydar, awesome! I like the balance of 3 Good vs 3 Evil, but I'm also fond of keeping Einar in with the Good, and in giving the Good Alliance a harder task but a bigger reward. But really, however you want to play it.

I had originally put Ullar out in a team game because of the map -- Jandar and Ullar being adjacent seemed too easy, but of course Valkrill and Utgar are next to each other too. So, let the players pick.

As for Fortify, I think the Official Rules are, from one territory to one adjacent territory, but I've heard the "Supply Line" variant is popular. I'll include it as a RiSkape variant.
I was thinking about doing my own way of kicking the game off, mostly in the form of just choosing the general you want to start as, and then starting where that general is on the map. It would probably take some tweaking of "alliance" bonuses, maybe even just making it "owning any general's castle/territory gives that player 3 tokens/summoning points," so that if one player chooses Utgar and the other chooses Vydar as their starting generals, Utgar could technically be allied with Jandar if the Utgar player took over the neutral Jandar home castle. Sure it doesn't make sense by heroscape lore, maybe consider it "writing your own scape history/story."

I've almost never paid attention to scape lore, so this is probably why I'd play it this way. I've played scape mostly to send units at each other and murder each other, not caring much about the plot. I'm like that with quite a few games, video games, etc. I just play for fun! Just ask my wife about my psycho killer/cannibal in Fallout: New Vegas, lol.
Old July 12th, 2014, 11:40 AM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Brandonwiker, that's more or less how the rules go: if you are playing Utgar, and you take over Ullar, Ullar is now in your alliance, you get 3 bonus tokens for his castle, and you can summon Ullar units.

I like the "pick anyone" option, there's no reason you couldn't have a Marr vs. Einar game. The "alliance bonuses" were my attempt at a "continent"-type bonus in Risk. But it's not really necessary, and as that aspect of the rules seems to be generating the most discussion I think it's better moved into the Variants. Besides, I think that given the map, it will be far easier to get and hold Utgar, Marr, and Valkrill than it will be to hold the four "good" homelands. So, probably better balanced without it.
Old July 12th, 2014, 07:37 PM

G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
On the topic of Myvra, I think we should ignore her for now, maybe at some point we could include her though (and anybody could on their own include her, but I think for the 'official' RiSkape we should leave her out).
Sounds like a plan, didn't have a very organized mindset when I posted.

Quote:
I also kinda of like the idea of the 4 vs 1 vs 3 also, because Vydar is a manipulator, and that does give into his personality so I think what you have going atm is perfect, lemme know when you want to do play testing, I'll see if my friend will play one weekend, and i'll give you the results or data you want me to collect for you

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity, I have erased that line."
Old July 13th, 2014, 05:03 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think the 3v2v3 or 4v1v3 would both work. Maybe there could just be two options to play with? Kind of like the option of only letting figures move to adjacent, or do the 'assembly line' way (I like that term, never heard it before).

That fits in with the whole HeroScape thing of being able to make the battle what you want it as apposed to being too set in stone.

Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old July 14th, 2014, 11:33 AM

OK so here's the next iteration of the rules!

I divided it into Core Rules (the basics) and Variants (including many of the ideas discussed). So, you can play how you want to, as Dr. G put it. The only major difference you'll see in the Core Rules is that the Exploration glyphs are now a variant, as are the alliance bonuses (with either Einar option). You'll see a few new Variants. I think Two Generals might work for a faster game. I threw in Marvel rules and the Commander rules I had earlier written up, why not?

Thanks for all your input and let me know if you have corrections or suggestions!

-----------

RiSkape is a mashup of Heroscape and Risk, played on the Map of Valhalla:

Spoiler Alert!

As one of Valhalla's Generals, you must secure the Wellsprings, gain allies, summon the greatest heroes of time and space, and send forth your armies to gain control of Valhalla!

CORE RULES
The Core Rules cover the basic relationship between the Heroscape and Risk games. There are a number of Variants that add more complexity and Scape lore to the game.

Object
The first player to occupy all the Starting Homelands wins the game.

Setup
Each player chooses a General, and begins with 20 army tokens. Each army token is worth 25 Army Card points (so, each player begins with the equivalent of a 500 point army.) Place all your army tokens on your General's Homeland. All Homelands controlled by players at this stage are the Starting Homelands.

Place 10 neutral army tokens on each empty Homeland. Place 2 neutral tokens on all other empty spaces.

Roll for initiative.

Turn Order
On your turn, you will Summon, then Attack, then Fortify.

1) Summon. The territories you control generate Army Tokens.

Your own Starting Homeland generates 4.
Any other Homeland you control generates 3.
Any other territory generates 1.

Place your summoned tokens on any territory or territories you control.

2) Attack. During this phase, you can Attack as many times as you want from a territory you control with at least 2 tokens to an adjacent territory. Most of these battles will be fought using regular Risk rules.

Players should agree at the start of the game when a battle will be fought on a Heroscape map, what the format of battles will be, etc. Keep in mind that there will be many battles! Some possible things to consider:

* Size: a minimum army size on both sides
* Frequency: At most once per turn. Generally declared by the attacker.
* Format: since there are many battles, a faster format such as Heat of Battle is recommended.
* Maps: Generally chosen by the defender. Maps should be balanced, except for Homeland battles (see below) and can be as thematic to the territory as your terrain collection and imagination permit.

Attacks on territories held by neutral armies are always resolved with a Risk battle.

An attack on a Homeland occupied by another player is always resolved with a Heroscape battle. The Homeland's defender may choose a Castle siege map and take the defending position.

When playing a Heroscape battle, each Army Token is worth 25 points. You may only summon units from your own General, or from the General of any Homeland you control. If there are more than two players, and your starting Homeland is occupied by an opponent, you may still summon units from your starting General. Marro units may only be summoned by a player who controls the Marr swamp.

After the Heroscape battle, if the defender was victorious, reduce the attacker's force to one token. Reduce the defender's force to the size of its remaining army, rounded up to the nearest 25. If the attacker was victorious, remove the defender's force. Reduce the size of the attacker's force to the size of its remaining army, rounded up to the nearest 25. If the attacker has fewer than 50 points left at the end of the battle, it gets two tokens (one for the territory that it attacked from, the other to occupy the defending territory).

As in regular Risk, you cannot abandon a territory.

3) Fortify

Move any number of Army Tokens from one territory to an adjacent territory, controlled by you.

The turn passes to the next player.

VARIANTS
You may choose multiple Variant rules to add to the Core Rules. Most should be compatible with each other. Or, make up your own!

Endgame Variants
Instead of playing until a player occupies all the Starting Homelands, you may play to a certain number of rounds, or to a certain number of Heroscape battles, or when the first Starting Homeland is defeated. Score Victory Points the way you calculate summoning. Or, go crazy and play for Total Global Domination!

Supply Lines
When you Fortify, you may move armies between any two territories you control, if there's an unbroken chain of territories you control (or through a teammate's territory).

Exploration
At the beginning of the game, put 7 permanent glyphs and 8 treasure glyphs in a draw bag.

If you defeat a neutral army in a territory that's not a Homeland, you have explored it. Draw a glyph. If it's a permanent glyph, that area contains a wellspring and is worth 2 summoning points. If it's a treasure glyph, that army has that treasure glyph. During a Risk battle, an army rolls one d8 for each treasure glyph on its territory. During a Heroscape battle, you may use those treasure glyphs. Treasure glyphs can be moved with your Army, but Wellsprings cannot be moved. Treasure glyphs are captured by the victor in any Risk or Heroscape battle.

During your Fortify move, you may move Treasure Glyphs with your army tokens, as long as you move at least one army token for each Glyph you move.

Two Generals
Instead of choosing one General, each player picks any two Generals and places 10 tokens on each Homeland. They are both Starting Homelands. Take turns "drafting" Generals. This should make for a faster game.

Team Play
You can play 2 vs 2, or 2 vs 2 vs 2, or 3 vs 3. If one team has occupied all the Starting Homelands, they are the victor. In a team game, if your Homeland is occupied by an opponent, you may still summon units from your starting General. The teams should alternate turns, e.g., if Jandar and Einar are teamed up against Utgar and Marr, the turns could go Jandar - Utgar - Einar - Marr.

Good vs Evil (vs Neutral)
In this Variant, the "Good" Generals are Jandar, Ullar, Aquilla and Einar. The "Evil" Generals are Utgar, Marr, and Valkrill. Vydar is neutral.

2P: One Good vs One Evil
3P: One Good vs One Evil vs Vydar
4P: Two teams (Two Good vs Two Evil).

There's an additional Alliance bonus during summoning:

* If the Good player controls all four Good Homelands, she gets 5 extra tokens.

* If the Evil player controls all three Evil Homelands, he gets 4 extra tokens.

* If the Vydar player controls his Starting Homeland, and at least Good and one Evil Homeland, he gets 4 extra tokens. If he controls two of each and his Starting Homeland, he gets 6 extra tokens.

* In a team game, a Good player gets 2 tokens if Good players control all 4 Good Homelands. An Evil player gets 2 tokens if Evil players control all 3 Evil Homelands and Vydar.

The Einar Variant
Same as Good vs Evil above, but Einar is considered to be Neutral. The Good alliance bonus is now 4 for controlling the three Good Homelands. The Neutral player gets a bonus of 3 for controlling Einar and Vydar. The Evil bonus is the same.

The Marro Hive
A player defending the Marr swamp makes a swamp map instead of a castle and drafts the Hive at no cost. The Hive can't be drafted in other territories.

Dead is Dead
If a Unique unit is destroyed in a battle, it may not be re-summoned for future battles. (Assume that Unique Heroes are healed between rounds, and partial Unique Squads have their defeated figures resurrected.) You may include Uncommon Heroes in this rule, or not.

Marvel
If you want to mix Marvel and classic, align the Marvel heroes with the following Generals:

Jandar: Captain America
Aquilla: Spider-Man
Einar: Iron Man
Ullar: Hulk
Vydar: Silver Surfer
Utgar: Red Skull, Doctor Doom
Valkrill: Thanos
Marr: Abomination, Venom

Commanders
At the beginning of the game, choose a small or medium figure of 150 points or less from your General and place it on your Homeland. It counts against your starting army tokens, rounded up to the nearest 25 points.

During a Risk battle, your Commander is worth the equivalent number of army tokens, rounded up. (Sgt. Drake would be worth 5, Cyprien would be worth 6). You may use a d8 when attacking or defending with a Commander. If attacking with a Commander in a Risk battle, you must have at least 1 other army token in that army for each attack die rolled.

If your Commander's army is defending in a Risk battle, and the Commander is reduced below his equivalent army tokens, it is destroyed. (E.g., Cyprien and 2 army tokens are defending, roll 3 defense dice, and lose all 3. The 2 tokens would be defeated and Cyprien destroyed.)

During a Heroscape battle, you must draft the Commander in your army if the Commander is present (and cannot draft him if he's not). If your opponent controls your Commander at the end of a battle, he now controls your Commander on the map. If he is destroyed in battle, you lose your Commander.
Old July 14th, 2014, 12:51 PM
On vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to IshMEL again.
Well I think that basically sums up what I think about the latest version...

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old July 14th, 2014, 04:26 PM

twilkerson wears ripped pants of awesomeness twilkerson wears ripped pants of awesomeness twilkerson wears ripped pants of awesomeness twilkerson wears ripped pants of awesomeness twilkerson wears ripped pants of awesomeness twilkerson wears ripped pants of awesomeness twilkerson wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Lightbulb Re: HeroScape / Risk mashup

Quote:
2) Attack. During this phase, you can Attack as many times as you want from a territory you control with at least 2 tokens to an adjacent territory. Most of these battles will be fought using regular Risk rules.
Commander.
Instead of digging out the Risk rulebook and dice for the "Risk battles":
  1. Each player should roll Heroscape dice equal to the amount of army tokens they control in the battle.

2. Counter-compare both player's shields and skulls to determine how many army tokens each player may lose. i.e:

Player One rolls 3 skulls and 2 shields
    Player Two rolls 2 skulls and 1 shield

Result = Player One blocks both of Player Two's skulls, taking no loss. Player Two only blocks 1 of Player One's skulls, losing two army tokens.

3. Repeat the process until one of the two battling armies are destroyed.

Just a thought...
Old July 14th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilkerson View Post
Quote:
Commander.
  1. Each player should roll Heroscape dice equal to the amount of army tokens they control in the battle.

2. Counter-compare both player's shields and skulls to determine how many army tokens each player may lose. i.e:

Result = Player One blocks both of Player Two's skulls, taking no loss. Player Two only blocks 1 of Player One's skulls, losing two army tokens.

Just a thought...
I prefer this, as then less dice are needed to play.
Old July 14th, 2014, 08:20 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Commander.

Just a thought...
I prefer this, as then less dice are needed to play.
It's a good idea! I guess it might come down to preference, but I like using scape dice to determine this. It's much easier, and requires no knowledge of risk!

I haven't thought much about this, but what would happen if in a 2v2, both players roll two skulls? All four of the units would die? The territories would be left empty? There will have to be tweaks, certainly.
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:54 AM
On vacation...

Quote:
Quote:
Commander.

Just a thought...
I might be open to doing this, but I think it should be on the variant rule list

I of course see a couple problems though, as I always do.

1) What would the Treasure glyph do if you were playing this way? Would you get to re-roll one die per Treasure glyph?

2) This would be difficult to do with the online app as it is right now (I think), but then again so would the normal Risk battles (as there is no normal 6-sided die in the app right now).

I can see that if we do it this way, we could turn on the Valkyrie symbols, and then roll attack and have the symbol count as a blank, and have all other dice (not Skulls or symbols) count for the Shields.

That makes it possible to play online with this variant, and more difficult to play normally using the app. Thanks T, that way we don't have to figure out a way to use D6's with the Online App (maybe that's easier than I imagine it to be though, since I am pretty lame with computers.

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion