Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old June 20th, 2013, 07:08 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!
Scraps - Alternate Format

Scraps

Scraps is an alternate double blind format for Heroscape games. It can be implemented for casual or tournament play. The goal of the system is twofold. One, mix up the traditional format to encourage new army builds. Two, produce quicker matches to allow for more games in a shorter time frame.

Maps

Maps for scraps have a few differences from traditional double blind tournament maps. First, they use less terrain. Scraps should be built using only half a master set and one terrain expansion. While this isn't an absolute necessity, it does limit the maps from becoming overly large and producing longer games. When splitting a set in half, you should always round down on the terrain. For instance, with the RotV, you would only get to use 2 grass 7 hexers (5 come in the set). The idea being, that if a tournament uses two scraps with RotVs, a single RotV could build both. An exception to this is the SotM set when using 2 and 1 hex grass and rock hexes. You are allowed to use either the rock or the grass. The BftU set is considered a terrain expansion and only uses have of it's hexes (but all of its rocks).

Secondly, maps don't need to have start zones or be symmetrical. Deployment is handled similar to heat of battle and figures are placed all over the map.

Terrain allowance per master set:
Spoiler Alert!

Examples:
Spoiler Alert!

Army Construction

Armies will need to be smaller than traditional builds to work on the smaller maps. Armies should be between 300-350 points. It is recommended that armies be required to have a single unique hero of 50-150 points. This prevents common squad spamming or a boring nearly single hero build. A 14 figure limit is also suggested.

Deployment

Before the game, players roll off with the D20. The player rolling the highest gets a choice: He can deploy first or be granted a +8 to the first initiative roll of the game.

Whoever deploys first, will place a single card's worth of figures on any empty spaces on the map not adjacent to another figure. Players will alternate this placement. If all non-adjacent places are taken, players can begin placing figures adjacent to previously placed figures. If you place a figure next to an opponent's figure, they get a single engagement strike as if they were breaking engagement. If they place next to a friendly figure, no strike is made.

Time Limit

Games shouldn't last nearly as long as regular matches. For tournaments, a limit of 30 minutes or so should work. This will allow players to get more matches in.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Last edited by Dignan; June 20th, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old June 20th, 2013, 11:19 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth
Re: Scraps - Alternate Format

This looks interesting, thanks for sharing Dignan

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old June 21st, 2013, 11:11 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Great idea. I love smaller maps, both because you can build it quicker and the game is not just shorter to finish but a lot more frenzied. Most times I would rather play 2 quick games in an hour than one long drawn-out one.

I don't know if it meets your 1/2 master + 1 terrain set limit exactly, but check out the Quick Set-Up & Build Map Contest I had (and the 19 map PDF compilation). They are all less then 36 "pieces" as defined in the thread, and this was inspired by TnT's Quick Set-up maps.

These "scraps" along with all your other maps always look awesome and all your previous maps play awesome too, but to be fair I would have to play the maps you made to see if I like them, especially with HOB, which I have not played in a long while.

I hope this idea kicks off.
Old June 21st, 2013, 05:38 PM

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Great idea. I love smaller maps, both because you can build it quicker and the game is not just shorter to finish but a lot more frenzied. Most times I would rather play 2 quick games in an hour than one long drawn-out one.

I don't know if it meets your 1/2 master + 1 terrain set limit exactly, but check out the Quick Set-Up & Build Map Contest I had (and the 19 map PDF compilation). They are all less then 36 "pieces" as defined in the thread, and this was inspired by TnT's Quick Set-up maps.
Very cool. I like several of the maps in the "quick setup" thread. Good stuff.

Quote:
I hope this idea kicks off.
We shall see. We have played a dozen or so games with the format locally and had a lot of fun. We are going to roll it out in a tournament over the summer and see how it goes.

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old July 24th, 2013, 01:56 PM

The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby!

I have a quick question regarding deployment in your Scraps system. When placing a single card's worth of figures, can members of the same squad be placed adjacent to each other immediately? Or would doing so while non-adjacent empty spaces remain be illegal?
Old July 25th, 2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CEE View Post
I have a quick question regarding deployment in your Scraps system. When placing a single card's worth of figures, can members of the same squad be placed adjacent to each other immediately? Or would doing so while non-adjacent empty spaces remain be illegal?
We play that you can only place adjacent to figures (enemy or friendly) if there are no legal non-adjacent spaces available. This limits podding up and keeps people from being able to clump up on the highest ground.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions