Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old September 18th, 2011, 01:06 AM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!
Save America's Postal Service

Here is a link to the pdf of a short flyer that briefly explains the fix that Congress put the Postal Service in...read it now before you move on to the next thread!

http://www.saveamericaspostalservice...c_flier_v4.pdf

I'm sure most HS'ers would still like to keep six-day delivery...imagine no 'Scape trades arriving in the mail on Saturdays!

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN
Old September 18th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Save America's Postal Service

Crud... I just ordered from Auggies.

Old September 18th, 2011, 08:50 AM
More Interesting Than He Actually Is

Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The problem I have, as much as I like having 6 day service when I want something, is that I don't think it's used enough to warrant my tax dollars. The fact of the matter is that the Postal Service is becoming obsolete.

C3G Needs You! Interested in playtesting? Want to playtest?
Humbled to have been a C3G Hero!
Old September 18th, 2011, 09:18 AM
proper grammar and spelling are vital too success

Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margloth View Post
The problem I have, as much as I like having 6 day service when I want something, is that I don't think it's used enough to warrant my tax dollars. The fact of the matter is that the Postal Service is becoming obsolete.
None of the postal service funding comes from taxes, It's all from stamps, boxes and shipping.

Neo is Heavy Grut...
in LAUR DETENTION FACILITY
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:40 AM
More Interesting Than He Actually Is

Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Quote:
None of the postal service funding comes from taxes, It's all from stamps, boxes and shipping.
You and your facts.

C3G Needs You! Interested in playtesting? Want to playtest?
Humbled to have been a C3G Hero!
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:54 AM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for knowing your facts Neo. This is the biggest misconception & one of the most often made comments about the USPS. I wonder how many in Congress believe that tax dollars pay for the mail. Another one is that the price of postage is set by the USPS...no, in fact Congress also has to approve each rate increase. If the cost of postage followed the rate of inflation it would cost well over a dollar to mail a letter today.

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnival Man View Post
If the cost of postage followed the rate of inflation it would cost well over a dollar to mail a letter today.
Inflation isn't a good measure. For instance, in 1920 a gallon of milk was like 0.60. In today's money, that's like $6.50. But obviously milk doesn't cost that much, it's usually like $4.00. The reason being that production, extraction, and delivery of it (not to mention refridgeration) has become significantly better since 1920.

In the same way, processing and delivering mail has become significantly cheaper per volume, so inflation is a pretty bad indicator. In fact, I remember reading somewhere that George W. Bush signed some law so that the USPS absolutely cannot have its stamp price raised at a faster rate than inflation (note: this makes forever stamps a terrible deal).

Last edited by Warlord Alpha; September 18th, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
It's actually a little bit worse than that. While their funding comes from stamps and such, any extra profit they make can and does get stolen by Congress. I don't think the postal service is obsolete, but their hands are tied in ways that other businesses aren't.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old September 19th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun

The USPS has a flawed financial model. They are required, by law, to be nonprofit. This means that they can not have any cash on hand for emergencies. This means that the USPS is on a perpetual cycle of failure.

When things are good, they generate revenue. All of their bills get paid and they are happy. Any excess is taken by the government as they are required not to have a positive balance.

When things are bad, they lose revenue. Bills do not get paid and they start shooting. The money they need has already been spent by the government, so they can not get it back, so they have to raise stamp prices. As prices rise demand drops and other companies move in because they can do the same for less. This makes it worse and they have to lay people off and close branches.

After the contraction, they look good and have to grow to not show a profit, so they start expanding again, unfortunately they have lost market share in the interim, and the next crash comes faster.

It is like a sick animal who is thrashing on the way to death.

If they could keep a balance from year to year, they would not be so sensitive to market fluctuations. Successful homes and businesses do this. That is all this bill is suggesting they do.

If this were a household, they would be living paycheck to paycheck.

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General