Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old July 14th, 2012, 09:56 PM
...lest we all lose that 3rd turn mystery

The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Ants...In my house...

Hello HeroScapers of the General Forums!

I have been having an ant problem in my home for a few months, since it warmed up enough for them to come out.

It's just my room, upstairs, and the bathroom adjacent to my room. I tried everything, even abstaining from eating anything in my room, but they still come. I sprayed, cleaned, dusted, cleaned, and cleaned.

My brother has old food, dirty dishes, and cups in his room, and my sister currently doesn't have a visible floor. The only mess in my room is paperwork on my desk, it's cleaner than most of the house.

So, aside from the standard bug-killers, anyone know a good ant deterrant?

Be polite: Don't put politics or religion in your signature!
Old July 14th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Ants...In my house...

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.

Last edited by Jim; July 16th, 2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Sorry, I've got nothing else...
Old July 14th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Clean up both of their rooms. They are draw to the food, seen and unseen in both rooms. Your room maybe a pathway to their's.
Old July 14th, 2012, 10:19 PM

The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The problem is that they don't go to their rooms. i checked theirs, and haven't seen a thing. We cleaned out the bathroom, as it is how they get to my room (through the baseboard, there's a small hole that they get through, can't find it, but it's there). I haven't seen more than one or two ants an hour since then.

I will take your suggestion to heart though, and have them clean their rooms out, as well as find out how the ants got in.

As gross as it may sound, I left the ants dead bodies around where I assume the ants come in, as a dead ant emits certain pheromones if they were killed in certain ways. This did keep most of the ants away, but it was far too unhygienic, even though it wasn't visible to myself, so I cleaned that up, which made more ants come in.

At this point, I am willing to try a lot of things.

Old July 14th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Air Freshener sprays kills them really quickly believe it or not. I've tried on some ants that were on my farm. Kills them, and makes the place smell nice.
Old July 14th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Run for your life! It's the Xaultica Fire Ants!

Just graft a Marro Hive to the neighbors lawn, the ants will attack it. Might want to wear a tinfoil hat though... telepathic shrieks and all.
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:00 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Boric acid powder works well. Put it in corners and crevices where they might be able to enter.
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_X_Marker View Post
Not sure if you're saying here that you don't want to kill the ants. Assuming killing the ants is an option, read on.

It is difficult to seal up all holes that ants might get through, so yeah, while cleaning things up is good to give ants less to forage for, killing the colonies of ants invading your house is your best bet. The problem is only a small portion of the colony's population will actually enter your house to forage. Even if you kill 100% of those that do enter your house, the colony will make more.

What you need is a bait won't instantly kill the foragers. Rather, you need something that they can take back to the colony and feed to the other workers and especially the queen. Without additional information about your situation (what type of ants these are), I'd say your best bet is to use a product like MaxForce. It's not cheap (expect to pay $25 or so), but you'll have lots and lots of leftovers should ants become a problem again. It'll work on pretty much any type of common ant (different kinds of ants prefer different kinds of foods--MaxForce will appeal to all of them).

Some notes: 1) you only need to use a small amount. 2) try to find all ant trails and bait each one of them because you may be dealing with multiple colonies. 3) monitor your bait stations--if all of the product is eaten at one of them, add some more. 4) make sure you're buying MaxForce *ANT* bait (not the roach bait).

As a bonus, the product is safe for humans and pets, so no worries if you've got babies or pets around the house. If you're trying to get by on something cheaper, that's usually not the case, but if you do need a cheaper product, tell me a bit more about your ants and we'll see what we can do.

--xorlof (despite what's written above, I think ants are way cool!)

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old July 15th, 2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_X_Marker View Post
Not sure if you're saying here that you don't want to kill the ants.
Killing the ants is an option. I was more so saying that the standard sprays and baits didn't entirely work. Sorry about the confusion.

These are the small black ants that're everywhere, Google seems to tell me that they're called Monomorium minimum, in science talk.

I will try the MaxForce bait. Haven't used it yet.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Old July 15th, 2012, 09:58 AM

Bobofdeath's Dad knows what's in an order marker Bobofdeath's Dad knows what's in an order marker Bobofdeath's Dad knows what's in an order marker

Terro Ant Killer has worked great for us.

About $5-8 for a little bottle. Put a few drops on a small piece of card stock where the ants are walking. They will find it and come by the hundreds of thousands. Keep putting more drops of Terro on the card stock. the ants may keep coming for as much as 2-3 days. They take the poinson back to the anthill and it eventually kills the whole thing. We get them 3-4 times a summer by our kitchen sink. Terro takes care of them.

Terro only works with what are called "Sweet ants" ants that are attracted by food. Sounds like that is the kind you have with the messes in the other rooms of your house.

Long term solution is to get all the other rooms cleaned up. We can't leave anything out in our basement family room or it will draw in the ants. No food source = no ants!!

My greatest Heroscape mistake: Thinking that Heroscape was a $40 $400 game!
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Ordinary baby powder. Ants can't stand it for some reason. Sprinkle it all around your base boards and the thresholds of your door ways. Sprinkle anywhere you see ants. Leave it sit out for about a week.

We had a ant problem in our kitchen. We tried everything, nothing worked. Then we did this and haven't seen ants since.

It's safe, won't hurt anybody or other pets you may have, and smells nice!

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old July 15th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Baby powder works because of how the crystals are.

To an ant, baby powder is like stepping on glass, which also absorbs fluid from the ants.

Tried it, but it doesn't work as well on carpets.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General