Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Rules and FAQs
Official Rules and FAQs Compilation and discussion of AotP Rules and Frequently Asked Questions.

Old August 15th, 2015, 03:18 PM

bradtato knows what's in an order marker bradtato knows what's in an order marker
Re: AotP Question Dump

I'm fine with minimal stacking for now, but when (if) the expansions start rolling out and the selection becomes wider, I'd like to see exactly how deep this game can dive...
Old August 15th, 2015, 03:22 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtato View Post
I'm fine with minimal stacking for now, but when (if) the expansions start rolling out and the selection becomes wider, I'd like to see exactly how deep this game can dive...
Dangerous waters. One thing I love about Heroscape is that it is not Magic. When I need a break from the competitive Magic scene, I don't want to turn to Magic with Minifigs. It will be too tempting for WotC to just print off cards for spell decks since they're much cheaper than plastic figures.
Old August 15th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I could see a red hidden enchant Planeswalker that flips when you summon and boosts the summon

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old August 17th, 2015, 02:42 AM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confred View Post
@Hogg "At the start of the turn of a black Planeswalker you control"
I was confused by what that meant. When you activate a black planeswalker card (phase 2,) or at the beginning of a player's turn if they are using a black planeswalker (before phase 1)? The rules only refer to players having turns, except once under Planeswalker Rules, when it says "Before action 3 of your planeswalker's turn, your planeswalker may summon..." Its not very explicit but it makes me think its only when you activate a black planeswalker army card.
Old August 17th, 2015, 05:08 AM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Agreed. It has the potential to be lighter than MtG, yet still satisfy a few MtG cravings while pushing some dollies around.

I think if this game will have any legs at all, the stack will be required to be introduced in order for the spells to meld well and intelligently while still being true to MtG.

If instants ever make it in, there is no doubt about it's requirement.

But WotC need to set this stuff in stone in the rules first. Nobody wants to update a rulebook every year just to play the game. While I want this game to be deeper than it currently is, these things should be detailed in the rulebook already. :/
Old August 17th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Stack will probably come into effect when multiple hidden enchantments flip

It would be cool to have Morph! A card that is a hidden enchantment that when flipped summons units.

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old August 17th, 2015, 10:17 AM

bradtato knows what's in an order marker bradtato knows what's in an order marker

As I recall, the rulebook touches briefly on the stack, and as I recall, it works much the same as it does in the TCG. I think Hasbro is trying to avoid complications such as the stack to help achieve the target audience of ages 10+, where the TCG is ages 13+.

To keep on topic, another ruling question came up last night. I had Naturalize face-down on my Pummelroot Elementals, waiting for my opponent's Rhox Veterans with Honor of the Pure and one other stat-boosting enchantment. At what point is a figure considered attacked? When Naturalize gets flipped due to a figure in enchanted squad being attacked, and destroys the attacking squad's buffs, does the attacking figure keep the bonuses, or does Naturalize take effect before the attack takes place, as in the TCG?
Old August 17th, 2015, 12:48 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
As I recall, the rulebook touches briefly on the stack, and as I recall, it works much the same as it does in the TCG. I think Hasbro is trying to avoid complications such as the stack to help achieve the target audience of ages 10+, where the TCG is ages 13+.

To keep on topic, another ruling question came up last night. I had Naturalize face-down on my Pummelroot Elementals, waiting for my opponent's Rhox Veterans with Honor of the Pure and one other stat-boosting enchantment. At what point is a figure considered attacked? When Naturalize gets flipped due to a figure in enchanted squad being attacked, and destroys the attacking squad's buffs, does the attacking figure keep the bonuses, or does Naturalize take effect before the attack takes place, as in the TCG?
It doesn't say specifically in the rules (because its not a good game and someone tacked a bunch of spell rules onto a simplified HS system) but I assume it works like smoke powder and the enchantment flips and its effects take place when the figure is targeted. All the enchantments should be removed before the attack roll.
Old August 17th, 2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
It doesn't say specifically in the rules (because its not a good game and someone tacked a bunch of spell rules onto a simplified HS system)

C'mon, that's not fair. There were just as many questions relating to obscure wording a decade ago when HeroScape first debuted...so what of a few very situational wording issues were overlooked, or not anticipated at all. A game can only be playtested but so thoroughly...

Quote:
I assume it works like smoke powder and the enchantment flips and its effects take place when the figure is targeted. All the enchantments should be removed before the attack roll.
I think that's the intended result, but the wording seems to indicate differently. Perhaps I'll submit this one to Hasbro as well...
Old August 17th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Bam Bam

b57123m rolls all skulls baby! b57123m rolls all skulls baby! b57123m rolls all skulls baby! b57123m rolls all skulls baby! b57123m rolls all skulls baby!

So I picked up the game yesterday, we'll see if this scratches my Heroscape itch. I am hoping to clarify a few of the non-heroscape rules.

Firstly, would the unique squads (aotp) be comparable to Uncommon Heroes (hs) but now they can all move on the same turn?

Secondly, and this one I'm pretty sure of but I'll ask anyway. Can you use multiple enchantments on 1 army card?

Lastly, how does one track wounds on the squad figures with more than 1 life?

I have grown to dislike my username choice but am too far into this to change it now. BamBam57 makes me feel less like a robot. So I shall refer to myself as that.

Old August 17th, 2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It doesn't say specifically in the rules (because its not a good game and someone tacked a bunch of spell rules onto a simplified HS system)

C'mon, that's not fair. There were just as many questions relating to obscure wording a decade ago when HeroScape first debuted...so what of a few very situational wording issues were overlooked, or not anticipated at all. A game can only be playtested but so thoroughly...
Yeah, it is. This game feels like a badly done custom. There are more holes in the rules than HS. See my question about the poor wording on the Restless Zombies for an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b57123m View Post
So I picked up the game yesterday, we'll see if this scratches my Heroscape itch. I am hoping to clarify a few of the non-heroscape rules.

Firstly, would the unique squads (aotp) be comparable to Uncommon Heroes (hs) but now they can all move on the same turn?

Secondly, and this one I'm pretty sure of but I'll ask anyway. Can you use multiple enchantments on 1 army card?

Lastly, how does one track wounds on the squad figures with more than 1 life?
Unique squads are just like unique squads in HS.

You can put multiple enchantments on a army card, there's a section in the rules about the order they flip if hidden ones are triggered.

You put wound markers on the base of the figure.
Old August 17th, 2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, it is. This game feels like a badly done custom. There are more holes in the rules than HS. See my question about the poor wording on the Restless Zombies for an example.
That's not a hole in the rules; that's clearly stated that you only roll at the start of your black Planeswalker's turn. A hole in the rules would be Taelord and his Stealth Flying. They didn't include the tidbit about leaving engagement attacks when flying to reflect that he had stealth flying, and everybody overlooked it and wondered why he cost so much.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Rules and FAQs