Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

View Poll Results: Vote for all maps that you think are tournament-worthy.
Penumbra 16 29.09%
Rage on the Ridge 12 21.82%
Subterranean Oasis 21 38.18%
Shadow Sink 15 27.27%
The Darkened Spring 13 23.64%
Xeno 18 32.73%
Seal Rock 10 18.18%
Skull Island 17 30.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 18th, 2012, 04:13 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
VOTE the BftU Challenge: BRACKET 4/4

Welcome folks.

This is the FOURTH of FOUR voting brackets for The 1x BftU Challenge.

We had 32 submissions in total. Since the forum software imposes limits on the size of polls, I’ve randomly ordered our entries into 4 brackets of 8 maps each. The winning 4 maps from each bracket will go on to the semi-final brackets (2 brackets of 8 maps each). The winning 4 maps from each semi-final bracket will go on to the final bracket. The winning 3 from that will take home the prizes for First, Second, and Third place.

NOTE: You are allowed to vote for as many maps as you like in each bracket. Now please don’t think this means that you can submit votes multiple times. You can’t — each poll still only allows you to submit votes one time per poll. But you CAN vote for as many or few maps as you like in that submission.

This means we’re using a form of approval voting (thanks dok). Essentially you’re being asked to grade each map on a pass/fail basis. If you like a map and think it deserves to pass, give it a vote. If you think a map is less impressive and probably shouldn’t pass, don’t give it a vote. The winners of each bracket will be those that receive the most ‘passes’.

The nice thing about this form of approval voting is that it allows you to give a thumbs-up to as many or few maps as you deem fit. And you don’t need to worry about exactly how many or few you pass. Whether you vote for only 1 map in each bracket, or for 7, or anywhere in between, you’ll be exerting exactly the same amount of total influence. (Just don’t vote for all 8! That’s the same as voting for none. )

The aim of the contest: to build good tournament-worthy maps. At the minimum, I think this means maps that (a) offer interesting tactical decisions; and (b) are relatively balanced between melee and ranged. Beyond that, though, I know we’re all going to bring our own criteria to bear. So formulate your criteria, and have fun analyzing the heck out of these!

And don’t forget to vote in the other brackets too. You’ll find the first here, the second here, and the third here. We invite the entire Heroscapers.com community to participate. Don’t be shy!

How long will voting remain open, you ask? Until three days from now. The polls will close at the end of Saturday, Jan. 21, at which point the winners from each bracket will go on to the semi-finals.

IN THIS BRACKET:

Last edited by Typhon2222; January 21st, 2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:56 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: VOTE the BftU Challenge: BRACKET 4/4

I should have mentioned this from the beginning, but it slipped my mind. So let me affirm it now: open analysis of the entries here is highly encouraged. I exhort everyone to post whatever thoughts, comments, analyses, reservations, and praise occurs to them. Reading what others think of maps is always instructive and a pleasure, and gosh knows I usually learn lots in the process. So let the discussion spring forth! I beg only that any possible criticism be framed gently and constructively. (But given how classy we are, that goes without saying.)
Old January 18th, 2012, 02:00 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Some univited thoughts on the maps. These are going to sound critical. Bear in mind that I know that BftUx1 is a pain to work with, and each map has to make compromises.

Penumbra - pretty solid design. I wish it were a bit easier to go around the roundabout on the 3-space rock side, but aside from that it seems well-designed.

Rage on the Ridge - as with a lot of maps where the armies start on top of one another, the opening initiative is pretty critical on this map. I'd like a bit more length or width to the map.

Subterranian Oasis - very solid. Play could be a bit one-note in a range-versus range fight, and there's not much of interest on the outsides, but there's something to be said for just having room to maneuver.

Shadow Sink - Nice footprint/layout. I'm a bit concerned about stalemate positions on this map. If each side gets control of one side of the map, there's little incentive to move, except for being down on points.

Darkened Spring - I think the water ends up pushing each army to the right a bit too much on this map, and I dislike being able to claim the glyph on the first turn with most squad figures.

Xeno - a bit wide open in the center, but it looks like it would have fast, fun, and dynamic play. Odd trap rule.

Seal Rock - walking armies will probably end up dicing off for sides, due to the yellow startzone's easier access to the island glyph. 6-move walkers (rats!) can cake the other glyph in one turn. Great use of LoS blockers, though.

Skull Island - Very interesting design. Plenty of room to maneuver, and the height is just far enough away from Astrid to make for some interesting decisions. I'm not sure I like that much flatness, but that's probably the price you have to pay.
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:40 PM

Heh, I notice that Brackets 3 & 4 have had fewer people voting than 1 & 2. Guess it's to be expected: easy to start at the beginning and get distracted before completing the series.

Won't affect the chances of these maps relative to the others, of course — four will go on from each bracket regardless. But that said.... the more votes the merrier. Don't miss these, folks!
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:50 PM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Heh, I notice that Brackets 3 & 4 have had fewer people voting than 1 & 2. Guess it's to be expected: easy to start at the beginning and get distracted before completing the series.

Won't affect the chances of these maps relative to the others, of course — four will go on from each bracket regardless. But that said.... the more votes the merrier. Don't miss these, folks!
Could be it takes longer than people first think...I'm sure it will even out by the end of the round.

And if we keep posting more in threads 3 & 4 folks might look at those first.

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

I voted in this bracket first.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)

Last edited by Killometer; January 18th, 2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Two guesses why, but I bet you'll only need one.
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnival Man View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:48 AM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Besides for your post Typhoon, no one has posted in three I wanted to see what Doc had to say about our maps, well...

Also, each bracket has 45-48 members that voted, but it's who/how many you vote for, that effects the race. Notice how this bracket is nearly all tied up and the biggest range is nine. All the others have a range of anywhere from 13-25
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Besides for your post Typhoon, no one has posted in three I wanted to see what Doc had to say about our maps, well...
Yeah dok, what are you waiting for?
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:43 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah dok, what are you waiting for?
It's killing me to leave it out, especially since I think it's by far the strongest group. I guess I'll get to comment on four of them next round, since I surely won't be advancing.

Eh... I'll drop one quick comment there.
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:43 AM

Going on to the semi-finals: Penumbra, Subterranean Oasis, Xeno, and Skull Island.

Drawing up those brackets now.
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:34 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Ergh. Missed out by one vote.

Oh well.

Good luck everyone!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games