Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old November 9th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Unblockable hit vs wound

Would love to hear from the Rules Team in particular on this one, but I'll take anyone's opinion.

What is the difference between an "unblockable hit" and a "wound"? That is, if Counter Strike were worded thusly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT real Counter Strike wording!
Counter Strike
When rolling defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent attacking figure, place one wound marker on the attacking figure's army card for each excess shield rolled.
(or something similar), would that actually change anything? Can anyone give me a scenario where the different wording would cause a different outcome? or do we think the "unblockable hit" wording is just an artifact of the very early timeline for Counter Strike, and that if it had been developed later in the history of the game, they would have used the wound/wound marker verbiage instead, for consistency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Chardris is surprisingly tart
Re: Unblockable hit vs wound

Microcorps agents could use their stealth armor and possibly prevent the wound. Others exist as well with a similar type of power of course but they were the first ones I thought of.
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
Would love to hear from the Rules Team in particular on this one, but I'll take anyone's opinion.

What is the difference between an "unblockable hit" and a "wound"? That is, if Counter Strike were worded thusly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT real Counter Strike wording!
Counter Strike
When rolling defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent attacking figure, place one wound marker on the attacking figure's army card for each excess shield rolled.
(or something similar), would that actually change anything? Can anyone give me a scenario where the different wording would cause a different outcome? or do we think the "unblockable hit" wording is just an artifact of the very early timeline for Counter Strike, and that if it had been developed later in the history of the game, they would have used the wound/wound marker verbiage instead, for consistency?
I don't think it would. What I belive is the case: "Unblockable Hit" is used in mid-attack situations (like Counterstrike) and "Wound" is used everywhere else. I don't know why exactly, but I think that's how it works.

Old November 9th, 2011, 10:52 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardris View Post
Microcorps agents could use their stealth armor and possibly prevent the wound. Others exist as well with a similar type of power of course but they were the first ones I thought of.
Actually, Microcorp can defend against Counter Strike even with the current wording:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Book of Microcorp Agents
- Figures With Counterstrike
The Microcorp Agents also work well against figures with Counter Strike, as long as they are not engaged with them! They can
hopefully get a few hits in on Charos or pick off a few Izumi Samurai from a distance without the fear of getting destroyed
by Counter Strike.

If they become engaged, fear not! Their Stealth Armor 15 will afford them some protection against the potential damage from
Counter Strike. (Hasbro FAQ)
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:06 AM

Chardris is surprisingly tart

Ok, my bad then.
Old November 10th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardris View Post
What Sherman said. Can you think of any others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed View Post
I don't think it would. What I belive is the case: "Unblockable Hit" is used in mid-attack situations (like Counterstrike) and "Wound" is used everywhere else. I don't know why exactly, but I think that's how it works.
I'm not sure I agree with this either. How about Maul? That's even more "mid-attack" than Counter Strike, IMHO. Ditto Lolth's Wrath. Also Poison Weapons and Venom Ray, to a lesser extent. Basically "unblockable hit" is only ever used in Counter Strike and its variants (Arcane Riposte, Evil Eye Defense/Evil Eye Protection, and Lumbering Bully). I'm just not sure exactly why.

Quote:
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?

Why I Left the C3V
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:03 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

So would Acolarh's 10-die roll work on both?
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:02 AM

dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I can't see any difference.

The "unblockable hit" wording fits well the Samurais theme, I think it's the only reason it was used.

Several powers, where the defender cannot roll defense dice, could have been worded in the "unblockable hit" way.

As an example: Frost Giant of Morh, Dying Swipe
If this Frost Giant of Morh is attacked with a normal attack by an opponent's figure and receives enough wounds to be destroyed, roll 3 attack dice. One at a time for each skull rolled, you may inflict 1 unblockable hit wound on any figure that is adjacent to this Frost Giant of Morh. Figures affected by Dying Swipe cannot roll any defense dice and can receive more than 1 unblockable hit wound each. After using Dying Swipe, remove this Frost Giant of Morh from the battlefield.
Old November 12th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
So would Acolarh's 10-die roll work on both?
Sure. Leaf of the Home Tree is triggered by wounds. An unblockable hit is a wound, and a wound ... is a wound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalu View Post
I can't see any difference.

The "unblockable hit" wording fits well the Samurais theme, I think it's the only reason it was used.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalu View Post
Several powers, where the defender cannot roll defense dice, could have been worded in the "unblockable hit" way.
Or vice versa, is what I'm thinking.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's