Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media
Other Media Books, Music, Movies, Television, Comics, etc.

Old September 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM

RichardD has disabled reputation
Wheel of Time book series

If anyone else is a fan of the series, be prepared for a bit of bad news. the author (who wrote under the pen name "Robert Jordan") passed away yesterday. I've no idea how much of the final volume had been written by the time of his passing, but my guess is "not much".

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old September 17th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
Oh no, I was looking forward to the rest of that series, there was still 3 books to go, right? Well I didnt mean to say that my desire for the books were greater than my empathy for his family and friends, my prayers will go out for them.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Link 1 (AP)

Link 2 (USA Today)
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:41 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!

HOW DOES IT END?!?!?!

Gah. Well, I'm sorry the guy passed on. I hope the family is doing all right, too.
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius
Oh no, I was looking forward to the rest of that series, there was still 3 books to go, right? Well I didnt mean to say that my desire for the books were greater than my empathy for his family and friends, my prayers will go out for them.
Only one book was left to be written.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Jordan.
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
He might have enough information in his notes to have someone finish the book.

RIP:Robert Jordan.

Newb.
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:52 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
My own view is that at the pace he'd been going at, and with all the loose ends, it was going to take two more books to finish properly. Jordan said he'd do it in one, but it'd weigh in at around 1500 pages. Now it's anyone's guess as to if - rather than when - the series gets finished, and how close the finished article will be to his original vision.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old September 17th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD
My own view is that at the pace he'd been going at, and with all the loose ends, it was going to take two more books to finish properly. Jordan said he'd do it in one, but it'd weigh in at around 1500 pages. Now it's anyone's guess as to if - rather than when - the series gets finished, and how close the finished article will be to his original vision.
RJ always said he had the last scene of the last book already written when he started the series. I hope that Harriett (his wife) has that document.

I know what you mean about all of the loose ends, RichardD, but up until his untimely death, he asserted that book 12 would finishthe series.
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Interesting tidbit about his latest book on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Memory_of_Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A Memory of Light is the working title for the twelfth book of the popular The Wheel of Time fantasy series written by American author Robert Jordan. The novel was incomplete as of the time of the author's death.

Scheduled for publication by Tor Books in early 2009,[1] it was intended to conclude the series, which began in 1990 with The Eye of the World. On September 16, 2007, Robert Jordan died from amyloidosis.[2] Before his death, Jordan stated "I'm getting out notes, so if the worst actually happens, someone could finish A Memory of Light and have it end the way I want it to end." The decision whether to posthumously complete the book has been left to his wife Harriet and Tor Books president Tom Doherty.[1]

Robert Jordan repeatedly said that the main sequence would have concluded with this book. He stated at a 2005 book-signing event that it was not possible for him to write two more coherent books in The Wheel of Time series, and that the twelfth book would therefore conclude the series. [3] More recently, at ComicCon 2006, Jordan said he would "finish the story in one more book even if it takes 1500 pages hardcover."

Newb.
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:31 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!
RIP Mr Jordan...

But...

After book five I'd read each one and throw it across the room. The last few books were hundreds of pages where NOTHING HAPPENED until the last 50 pages because he took an advance to extend the series from 7 books to 12. In any case, I'm very sorry to hear of his passing on a personal level and also because I was looking forward to a book where something would happen and bring everything to closure. I keep reading this literary heroine and now I need some literary methadone. [/rant]

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:39 AM

Ted has disabled reputation
My condolences to his family and his fans but I was never able to get into the series I tried once and his books just had too muh to it for me to enjoy. I prefer novels with less characters that are imprtant to the story and a great deal less descriptions.
Old September 19th, 2007, 01:03 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth
RIP Mr. Jordan.

I hope you left instructions in your will on how to finish the series.

This is truely sad news for both his family and his fans.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media