Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

View Poll Results: Was this article helpful?
Yes 59 93.65%
No 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:14 PM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker
Ashigaru: A Closer Look (How to use)

Ashigaru- A closer look

The Ashigaru are a much underused group of figures. Why? They have very low stats, and other figures can do the same things better. What those others don’t have is the power of numbers. The Ashigaru are a very cheap fighting force that can cause pain in the right hands. Let’s take an in-depth view at each Ashigaru squad.

Ashigaru Yari

These guys may seem like they are worthless, but their uses are in more hidden meanings.
1. Screen- These guys are cheap, and essentially provide a paper-screen that the opponent has to constantly rip. Every time they attack an Ashigaru, they waste a potentially dangerous attack on another figure. Sometimes the Ashigaru might even live an attack, giving you multiple turns of use that can lead to a powerful strike back. Yari are the honeybees of the Ashigaru force. They are meant to do what they are made to do, and then to die.
2. Special Attack- The only reason the Yari are above 20 points is their special attack. This attack can potentially turn the game around. However, most players find that the attack is a necessity, while it is merely a bonus. This complements the Screen aspect of their play style. Use this attack only when you get the chance while screening. For example, if a Yari lives an attack and two other are close by, the next turn can be focused on that figure. The benefit of this attack over other encircle attacks is that you can still move another figure, even if it didn’t attack.
3. Regular Attack- Deathreavers are a very good screen because they can defend very well. However, they are very weak on the offense, making them mostly useful as defense. The difference between 1 and 2 dice is a lot, which can turn the paper screen Yari into an offensive force as well as a cheap blocker. It can easily get 3 attack dice, the standard, if height is obtained. This aspect makes them a well-rounded blocker.

Ashigaru Harqebus

This is the main force of the Ashigaru army. With easily boosted attacks and another to replace a fallen throughout the entire match, they can be quite a force.
1. Wait then Fire- This is a very effective power that can make some kills possible. However, it isn’t always necessary to do so. If you are confident in the ability to kill an enemy figure with an unboosted attack of 2 or 3, then move some reinforcing troops to help move the line along. Many players make the mistake of trying to use WTF every turn, and end up never getting to use it. Take it when you need it, and leave it if you don’t. That is how the Harqebus should be played.
2. Quantity vs. Quality- This also ties to the Wait then Fire situation. Sometimes, more attacks are needed, such as when dealing with a cheap squad. Sometimes, better attacks are needed, such as when facing a hero. Given the fact a hero such as Q9 is very high in defense; a player would need to use better attacks against it. If the player was facing a hoard of Venoc Vipers, the player would want all four attacks at all times. This ability to change up their type of attacks makes the Harqebus a versatile unit to use.

Other support units can raise the Ashigaru up to competitive units. Here are two options:

Kozuke Samurai

These guys are the highest stage of attack power for the Ashigaru. They can rush an opponent and quickly eliminate the threat. Also, they can take a hit better than the Ashigaru.

Kato Katsuro

This guy is an absolute must. He can double the amount of activations by letting a player take a turn with both squads during one turn. This improves the efficiency and versatility of the Ashigaru. This power is solely based on clear sight. There are ways to improve his sight of them.
1. Moving Kato- During the early game, it might be advantageous to move Kato until he is at a good position to see most, if not all of the field of play. While it does make the army a bit slow to start, it can greatly help the army later in the game.
2. Weapons- Every Ashigaru figure has a long, outstretched weapon. Clear sight is defined as being able to see any part of the figure, even parts not in the hit zone. Due to this, you can use even a spear tip for activation. Remember that during your turn you may adjust any amount of figures you wish. Before selecting which units to move, rotate them so Kato can see their weapon. This tactic can greatly improve Kato’s vision.
It is also worth noting that a player may use Kato’s Command to take a turn with the Kozuke Samurai.

Putting it all together- the armies

There are two potential armies that spawn from this selection of units. These armies seem to work the best.

1. With Kozukes
x2 Yari
x2 Harqebus
Kato Katsuro
Kozuke Samurai
Total- 500 Spaces Used- 20

This army features all of the units mentioned. Using most, if not all markers on Kato, the army is one that can react to almost anything. However, I prefer this next army.

2. Sans-Kozuke
x3 Yari
x3 Harqebus
Kato Katsuro
Total- 500 Spaces Used- 25 (drop an Ashigaru)

This army has more Ashigaru to throw at the enemy that the latter. Since the power of the Ashigaru is in the numbers, this army generally performs better. Use the same strategy in this army as the previous.

Wrapping it all up-

The Ashigaru have a steep learning curve. With a high risk-high reward play style, only players who have experience with the Ashigaru and confident moves can consistently succeed with them. Great for casual games, the Ashigaru are a fun way to throw a bajillion guys at your enemy. Good luck and always have fun.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:28 PM

Gold1 knows what's in an order marker Gold1 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Ashigaru: A Closer Look (How to use)

Very well thought out. I also like the use of Kozuke as bodyguards for Kato. If you move them ahead of him and then move Kato you have a nice, more survivable sheild and then when Kato reaches the desired point he can, as you stated above, put the Ashigaru to good use. I'd also like to thank you for the tip on not using Wait Then Fire. I often use it but Its nice to know that I shouldn't always use it. + rep

Check out my fanfics.
Ceasefire
JointStoryThread
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:48 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nice write up. I look forward to actually getting the ashigaru (they are in the mail).

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker

Thanks guys. They are one of my favorite armies. I dont use them often enough though. Gonna change that.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!

I love playing 1200 pt armies on large maps with Kato Katsuro and the Ashigaru, along with virtually all the other samurai. I have yet to have success with them in a tournament style game though.
Still, one of my favoutite unites (or I guess two of my favourites).

HeroScape is back Baby! Whoo Hoo!!!
Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:04 AM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

This is a great article! I think the biggest thing to add is that when playing the Ashigaru you will lose people every turn. The army is less about keeping your army safe and more about taking the maximum amount of attacks every turn.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:57 AM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I think if it wasnt for constant threat of Q9 and his q-gun these guys would see a lot more action on the tourney scene.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:17 AM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Rocket View Post
I think if it wasnt for constant threat of Q9 and his q-gun these guys would see a lot more action on the tourney scene.
I don't think Q9 is that devastating. He can take 9 shots of one, but the math there only allows for a 33% chance to kill, so mathematically he kills 3 per turn (average). It doesn't seem to far fetched to say that you can still take some good shots while under the Q9-cannon. That is without height; with it, you may need to bump the attacks up to 3 of 3.

Q9 and rats may be a huge problem. That would be a slow game depending on how well you can roll a single die.

I think the Ashigaru actually have a problem against armies like the 4th Mass, where they can take 4 solid shots per turn. In my opinion this would be more painful than Q9.

I think the biggest threat to the Ashigaru is Zelrig. With 7 range and a splash attack he can easily kill multiples per turn and stay away from the spears & any WTF shots. I just don't see a reasonable way to deal with Zelrig. I haven't been to many tournaments, so I really don't know how often he sees play; if I took an Ashigaru army to a tournament, I would fear Zelrig most of all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Which of these do you think would be good for the last 100 points?
1 more of each Ashigaru. This gives you more fodder, and more chances to that 200 point Dynamo. If you're worried about protecting Kato don't be, with 23 of those peons in front of him nothing is going to get through. If it's Cyprien just focus fire him, I promise 8 attacks will kill him quickly.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:06 AM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

Just thought I'd point out Izumis make great additions to a Yari screen, as they are a lot more durable. Raelin may help an Ashigaru army tremendously as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:50 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

With only 1 defense, Raelin greatly improves the survivability of these guys (especially the Harqs, who get an additional benefit for standing still) by boosting that to 3. I've considered trying this out at 520:

Kato - 200
Raelin - 280
Yari x3 - 400
Harqs x2 - 520, 22 hexes

I think it has some serious promise, even against Q9 if Raelin can survive long enough to get some Yari engaged with him, who are throwing 6 dice.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:25 AM

FieldMarshal Woo who?

I love using Ashigaru based armies in casual play, they balance out swarm and punch. I have seen many an enemy player scoff at the low stats of my units and blather into my "jaws of death" only to be duly slaughtered.

On the other hand, Deathwalkers can and will wreak havoc on Ashigaru armies. I once witnessed two explosion special attacks cut massive swaths in an army that was still getting into position.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:15 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Unfortunately, I've never played a "Real" Ashigaru army before. I have only one squad of each, and they died to quickly for me to even use them.

With the core of the army being Kato, and 2 squads of each Ashigaru, it can sometimes be hard to fill in the last 100 points. Which of these do you think would be good for the last 100 points?
  • 1 more squad of each Ashigaru
  • Raelin and Marcu/Oto & Isamu
  • Kozuke
  • Izumi and another squad of Yari
I'm going to be using these guys soon, and I want some help choosing the army.

~Rednax

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles