Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

Better for what? It is a different map. The remake was never nominated for BoV and has never been reviewed by this panel.

What you are suggesting is no different than implying the swarm version of Highways and Dieways should replace the original, which is of course silly.

On a further note, I was fully aware of the possible release of the Protectors and Atlaga when I reviewed the map. I didn't see a problem then and I don't see a problem now.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:55 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Better for what? It is a different map. The remake was never nominated for BoV and has never been reviewed by this panel.

What you are suggesting is no different than implying the swarm version of Highways and Dieways should replace the original.

On a further note, I was fully aware of the possible release of the Protectors and Atlaga when I reviewed the map. I didn't see a problem then and I don't see a problem now.
Better for tournaments, especially with regard to the Protectors.

Would you be open to reviewing the remake? If it was accepted, would it replace the original or just be added alongside it? Another example would be your version of Mole Hills - the jungle version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:57 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Quote:

What you are suggesting is no different than implying the swarm version of Highways and Dieways should replace the original.

Better for tournaments, especially with regard to the Protectors.

Would you be open to reviewing the remake? If it was accepted, would it replace the original or just be added alongside it? Another example would be your version of Mole Hills - the jungle version.
If it were submitted and accepted it would not replace the existing version. The judges have already stated that they see no reason to decommision the existing version even in light of PoU.

If you would like to see it added, nominate it.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Thanks for the answers to my first question but what about the second?

Would the remake be better?
As R˙chean says, it's just a different map. In my opinion, though, I think the BoV version is quite a bit better, for a couple reasons.
  1. From a gameplay perspective, the columns are much better LoS blockers.

2. The difficulty in reaching the column tops is actually a positive IMO. It directs more of the action to the ground around the columns, as opposed to making it a race for the high spots.

3. The alternative version seems like a very inefficient use of map resources to me. Why use the castle map if all you're using are the wall walk tiles?

4. I'm not afraid of column tops, anyway.
Quote:
Not really apropos of anything, but I love that remake. It's just a marvel of efficiency.

Now I'm inspired to try to re-make the "Broken Skyline" re-make as a RttFF+SotM+Marvel build.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:11 PM

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

OK, I'd like to nominate two maps by R˙chean:

Highways & Dieways: Swarm Edition

Build Instructions

and Mole Hills: Jungle Edition

Build Instructions

Quote:
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

I vote Yes to review Highways and Dieways Swarm edition.

I vote No to review Mole Hills Jungle Edition. I think one sides favors the other.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:41 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Whoa. It makes sense, but this statement kinda surprises me. I'm curious to know if your playtester knowledge ever swayed your vote one way or another while you were a BOV judge? I imagine that a BOV quality map generally is so well balanced that beyond range/melee concerns, specific units don't much matter, but judging a map with that extra knowledge must put a slightly different spin on your efforts than the judges who don't have that same knowledge. I don't mean any negative implications by that of course, and I understand that you likely cannot give specifics about map judgements beyond whatever you've posted nor about still unreleased units, but the quoted statement just reminds me that you and the other playtesters must view the community with a different color of glasses. Just curious about what that must be like.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

FWIW, I think that knowing the playtesters are committed to balanced units is enough for any judge of the BOV, whether they are playtesters or not. I've learned to trust the testers that if common flying ranged units are to be released, that the cost on those units would be appropriate to match their powers. (And that they would be balanced by something like their range of 5 as well.) New units aren't going to break anything that currently exists, though they will tweak things a bit. (I also expect that at this point the playtesters use BOV in their testing, so the feedback likely goes two-ways, as it were.)

BOV maps aim to be balanced and to use available resources effectively and fairly. Units (current and future) also are/will be fairly priced and take into account terrain resources, etc. I think that is enough to keep things fairly balanced across the board. But, I'll admit that I'm not on the "inside" of any of this; so these are just my 2 cents.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina View Post
I'm curious to know if your playtester knowledge ever swayed your vote one way or another while you were a BOV judge?
No, it never did.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
FWIW, I think that knowing the playtesters are committed to balanced units is enough for any judge of the BOV, whether they are playtesters or not.
This is an excellent point I didn't consider. +rep.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina View Post
I'm curious to know if your playtester knowledge ever swayed your vote one way or another while you were a BOV judge?
No, it never did.
Thanks. Hope I didn't offend. As I said previously, just curious about the different perspective.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old July 28th, 2009, 02:46 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Maps pending acceptance for review:

Highways and Dieways (Swarm Edition) - While this is a very creative use of terrain, it is mostly just a facelift of an existing map and doesn't bring much new to the table. I vote NO to review.

Mole Hills Jungle Edition - This modification of an existing BoV changes the gaemplay a little, however it doesn't change many of the pathing issues I have with the original. This is a nice change of pace for fans of this map, but I vote NO to review.

As a sidenote, I'm not a huge fan of mods to BoV maps being nominated. I think that the modification should significantly alter the way the map plays. I don't think that small changes (especially just in appearance) warrant another spot in the BoV for a given map. Just my two cents.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old July 28th, 2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
As a sidenote, I'm not a huge fan of mods to BoV maps being nominated. I think that the modification should significantly alter the way the map plays. I don't think that small changes (especially just in appearance) warrant another spot in the BoV for a given map. Just my two cents.
Thanks! I appreciate you stating your opinion upfront on this.

How do the other judges feel?

Quote:

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios