Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old October 19th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Thanks for showing us Coup, @akden ! The game demos after the tournaments are one of my favorite things about game day. I was not, however, crazy about Coup. Which was a surprise, because I'd read a little about it and seen a lot of love for it.

So, I didn't care for it as much as many others do. My .
I like it as a quick filler like the Resistance, but I don't think I could stand to play either for hours on end. I definintely prefer a little more substance and a longer game. I was hoping for DOW, but it wasn't meant to be. You also commented on 7 Wonders, and I'd be happy to bring that anytime, as well.

I have the expansion for Coup. Its called Reformation. I didn't break it out because I hadn't played it before, and I didn't want to add to the complexity in the first play of the game. Reformation adds an allegiance for each player. You can't assassinate, coup, steal, or block foreign aid for any player in your faction. However, as your action, you can pay a coin to change your allegiance, or you can pay two coins to change someone else's allegiance. All that money goes to a Treasury Reserve, and one of the actions available to anyone but the duke is to embezzle all the money from the Reserve. I think the expansion would make the game more fun once you come to the conclusion, as you have, that there are some dead-end card combos. It seems like this would give you more options to mess with others and you could protect yourself by well-timed conversions. I haven't played it yet, but that's what I'm thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
@akden , Stephen Universe loves City of Remnants, so we will have to get together with him sometime to play it, possibly at Huzzah with @OverEngineered .

We played Black Fleet after the tournament and @CatScaper eeked out a 2 doubloon win over me, @Johngee , and Stephen Universe. Fun game and especially since CatScaper was relentlessly stealing SU's goods or sinking his pirate ship. Classic.
I'd love to get in more plays of City of Remnants. I even have an autographed copy! (It's probably worth at least $25 on Ebay. )Let me know and maybe we can set up a time to play it and some other games.

I'd also like to try Black Fleet. It looks like a potentially family-friendly pirate game that is more approachable than Merchants and Marauders.
Old October 19th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
Quote:
@akden , Stephen Universe loves City of Remnants, so we will have to get together with him sometime to play it, possibly at Huzzah with @OverEngineered .

We played Black Fleet after the tournament and @CatScaper eeked out a 2 doubloon win over me, @Johngee , and Stephen Universe. Fun game and especially since CatScaper was relentlessly stealing SU's goods or sinking his pirate ship. Classic.
I'd love to get in more plays of City of Remnants. I even have an autographed copy! (It's probably worth at least $25 on Ebay. )Let me know and maybe we can set up a time to play it and some other games.

I'd also like to try Black Fleet. It looks like a potentially family-friendly pirate game that is more approachable than Merchants and Marauders.
Black Fleet is a fun game for sure. I've played it a couple times and really enjoyed it.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old October 19th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Nothing to report playing, but a big New Game week for me (with a bit more once my friend comes back from Essen tomorrow!).

I got:
Machi Koro (I had a Print & Play version since April, and the actual US release finally arrived! I love this game and can't wait for the expansions!)

Trains: Rising Sun (Stand alone expansion to Trains that has new cards, new Bonus Routes for all prior maps so far, and three new maps.)

Thunderstone Advance: Into the Abyss (Expansion for Thunderstone Advance)

Ninja Dice: Locations (Small expansion deck for Ninja Dice.)

Xia: Legends of a Drift System (Kickstarter Space game)

Glory to Rome (German edition, with much nicer artwork than either domestic release. I am going to scan all the cards and create english versions of them. I own the english I.V Edition.)

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.

Last edited by Jim; October 19th, 2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Added "Advance"
Old October 19th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Nothing to report playing, but a big New Game week for me (with a bit more once my friend comes back from Essen tomorrow!).

I got:
Machi Koro (I had a Print & Play version since April, and the actual US release finally arrived! I love this game and can't wait for the expansions!)

Trains: Rising Sun (Stand alone expansion to Trains that has new cards, new Bonus Routes for all prior maps so far, and three new maps.)

Thunderstone: Into the Abyss (Expansion for Thunderstone)

Ninja Dice: Locations (Small expansion deck for Ninja Dice.)

Xia: Legends of a Drift System (Kickstarter Space game)

Glory to Rome (German edition, with much nicer artwork than either domestic release. I am going to scan all the cards and create english versions of them. I own the english I.V Edition.)

Saw a video on Machi Koro this morning and it does look like a neat game. I'll have to look into that one more.

Haven't tried Trains yet, but hope to sometime.

Still have old-school Thunderstone (first 4 releases) and haven't taken the plunge into any of the new stuff. I'm sure the new stuff is good, but it's just not something that gets to the table much if at all in quite awhile.

Watched Ninja Dice being played last Saturday and it looks like a neat little game.

I should be playing Xia tomorrow night, as one of my friends in my group just got it and wanted to give it a go. I look forward to trying it for sure.

I've played the original version of Glory to Rome a few times and enjoyed it, though I wasn't very good at it

Old October 21st, 2014, 07:12 AM
Prickly Cactus

Last night I played:

Splendor
- came in 2nd with 11 points in a 4 player game. I really like this game a lot. It's a nice light game that is pretty quick and can act as a filler between bigger games or while waiting for others to arrive.

Xia: Legends of the Drift System - One of my buddies just got his Kickstarter copy so we had a 5 player game of it, but only up to 5 Fame Points in order to keep it from being too long on the first learning game, as well as allowing for a possible 2nd game for others that wanted to try it.

There is a lot going on in the game, but basically each player gets a spaceship that is different from one another. You start out with 3,000 credits and load it out with what you can afford, such as engine, shields, weapons. There are 3 levels of each type and they take up different spaces in the available ones in your ship, so each player can choose differently, though early on, 3,000 credits doesn't get you much. But then you are basically trying to earn Fame Points in various ways and for those that don't like randomness, then this may be an issue. Each new tile that gets explored will have a token on it that gets flipped over when a player lands there and it can be blank, 1,000 credits or a Fame Point. Some of these are harder to get to than others, as they can be in debris fields that can kill you, or asteroid fields that can damage you ore in nebulas that can suck your energy away etc. You can mine for materials and sell them at various planets, and when you sell your complete hold of goods (at least 2) you get a Fame Point. You can attack each other or aid another player that is stranded without energy. You can stop on a space to get a mission and try to complete it to get money and or Fame Points. Like for instance one player drew a mission of Assassination where he had to destroy the ship of the player 2 seats over to his left, which was me in this case. Fortunately I survived, but had to limp over to a planet to sell my weapon pack to be able to repair other stuff, as well as gain energy since I was depleted.

Anyway, we really liked it. It has a lot more to offer with NPC's and just a whole lot more goodness, but we kept it short for the first time playing.

Old October 21st, 2014, 07:57 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Xia: Legends of the Drift System - One of my buddies just got his Kickstarter copy so we had a 5 player game of it, but only up to 5 Fame Points in order to keep it from being too long on the first learning game, as well as allowing for a possible 2nd game for others that wanted to try it.

Anyway, we really liked it. It has a lot more to offer with NPC's and just a whole lot more goodness, but we kept it short for the first time playing.
We like Xia quite a bit, also. Glad you got a chance to play it.

Played 2 games of Machi Koro yesterday, one with Stephen Universe and the other with CatScaper. Fun, light, game that is begging for expansions. Dominion with, for lack of a better comparison, Black Fleet's buy upgrades to end game mechanic. It seems like it would get old rather quickly without more card options.

Finally got in my Defenders of the Realm KS stuff, so we setup a game to start at lunch today. SU and I have always had a soft spot for this game as it was the first co-op we played with the work crew and it always seems to provide just the right amount of tension/difficulty. Looking forward to playing with the new minions and elite minions, the Elf Lord, the Adventurer, the Chaos Wizard, and Bing Foo the Drunken Monk.
Old October 21st, 2014, 09:37 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Quote:

We like Xia quite a bit, also. Glad you got a chance to play it.

Played 2 games of Machi Koro yesterday, one with Stephen Universe and the other with CatScaper. Fun, light, game that is begging for expansions. Dominion with, for lack of a better comparison, Black Fleet's buy upgrades to end game mechanic. It seems like it would get old rather quickly without more card options.

Finally got in my Defenders of the Realm KS stuff, so we setup a game to start at lunch today. SU and I have always had a soft spot for this game as it was the first co-op we played with the work crew and it always seems to provide just the right amount of tension/difficulty. Looking forward to playing with the new minions and elite minions, the Elf Lord, the Adventurer, the Chaos Wizard, and Bing Foo the Drunken Monk.
Hope to play Xia more and with a longer game sometime down the road. It's cool and the component's are nice for sure. Glad you guys like it too G-O.

I've just got the base Defenders of the Realm game and haven't played it in awhile. I might just have to bust it out soon, thanks for reminding me of it. I didn't realize there was a KS for it.

Old October 21st, 2014, 09:47 AM

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
I've just got the base Defenders of the Realm game and haven't played it in awhile. I might just have to bust it out soon, thanks for reminding me of it. I didn't realize there was a KS for it.

Defenders of the Realm: Minions
was for tougher minions and alternate generals with actual minion sculpts instead of the generics that came with the game. They look much better and I will let you know how much tougher they really are soon. I know they plan on selling the minions in individual packs, they may even be up for pre-order on their website.
Old October 21st, 2014, 10:52 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

I got Tiny Epic Kingdoms in the mail yesterday. Looking forward to playing it!
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:21 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Xia sounds pretty cool: customizable ships, minis, a hex based map that appears to be changeable, space combat, trading, RPG-like ship upgrades...sounds like a blast.

I've never heard of DotR before. What's it like? I'm still looking for a co-op game that I like. I got Space Alert and PACG, but while interesting, they just don't do it for me (us). I'm thinking Mice & Mystics will be my next try for a Co-op.
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Xia sounds pretty cool: customizable ships, minis, a hex based map that appears to be changeable, space combat, trading, RPG-like ship upgrades...sounds like a blast.

I've never heard of DotR before. What's it like? I'm still looking for a co-op game that I like. I got Space Alert and PACG, but while interesting, they just don't do it for me.
DotR is D&D like in the character classes you can choose from and the setting. You basically are trying to keep the Darkness, which comes in the form of Orcs, Demons, Dragonkin, and Undead with their respective generals from getting to your capital, Monarch City. You take a number of actions per turn based on your character's action point pool which doubles as life. As you take wounds you have less action points per round, so it can get out of hand quickly. Some of the actions you can do are move between territories, attack, heal the land of the taint of evil, rest, list for rumors at an inn, etc. At the end of your turn you draw from a Darkness Spreads deck that randomly places minions at locations and possibly causes one of the generals to march toward Monarch City. You win when you defeat all for generals. There are a few ways to lose, either by too much taint which happens when territories are overrun by too many minions, a general makes it to Monarch City, or a certain number of minions (can't remember how many) end a round in Monarch City. There is an interesting Hero Card hand management mechanic going on throughout the game also, but this is already getting too long.

I would suggest playing it if you get the chance. It is a really good co-op in my opinion. The best part is someone on BGG made a Monty Python variant complete with Spam, the Knight's who say "Ni!", the French taunter, the Killer Rabbit, etc.
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:48 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Quote:

Defenders of the Realm: Minions was for tougher minions and alternate generals with actual minion sculpts instead of the generics that came with the game. They look much better and I will let you know how much tougher they really are soon. I know they plan on selling the minions in individual packs, they may even be up for pre-order on their website.
Sounds cool. I may look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
I got Tiny Epic Kingdoms in the mail yesterday. Looking forward to playing it!
I got my email notice that it's being shipped, so I hope to get it in the next couple days.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games