View Single Post
Old November 21st, 2020, 02:42 AM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: [Pod 2] Durnipia (Kiora, the Rising Tide) - Public Feedb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
I also can definitely see how Healing Waters could be underwhelming in practice. Lowering the target number is an obvious solution to that, and I'm definitely open to exploring that direction. 6+ seems a little low to me, but I think its worth considering.
I'm sure play-testing will bear out an appropriate number.

Quote:
An alternate possibility would be to borrow a page from Marro Warriors and make Healing Waters affect everyone within 4 spaces, and then just give a boost to the roll if they're on a water space. Something like this was suggested very early in the thread, but never in a form that could heal multiple heroes, which I think is an interesting feature of the current design. It would end up looking something like this:

Quote:
HEALING WATERS V2
After taking a turn with Durnipia, you may roll the d20 for each other friendly wounded hero within four clear sight spaces. If you roll a 15 or higher, remove a wound from that figure's army card. If that figure is on a water space, add 5 to your roll.
FWIW, Adding the word "other" prevents her from healing herself which I think is also an interesting feature of the current design. It gives her a little something to do once all the heroes to heal are gone.

V2 seems alright to me too. I'm not sure how I feel yet. I suspect the usefulness of covering 61 spaces with healing potential will drive the to-hit numbers up on principle, but that in practice the 1 or 2 heroes able to have been healed, could have been gotten adjacent to and would have valued a higher % chance to be healed that the power night have offered if it were more restrictive who it could target.

Quote:
I'd also be okay with raising Durnipia's price point higher than 80; in some ways I'd prefer it actually, if only to distinguish her more from Kelda.
In any case, if someone comes up with a situation or tactic that makes it too powerful for a reliable multi-heal, another aspect that could be dampened would be to restrict it to a max of 2. Kelda heals 1 hero, 2 hit-points reliably (maybe all the way). Durnipia heals 2 heroes, 1 hit-point reliably.

Quote:
I also think that the concerns about the pairing of Rusalka and Nymph are justified. Personally I lean slightly toward using Nymph as a species over Merfolk, mainly because Merfolk is already an established D&D species. Since D&D lore is technically canon within heroscape, I could see how making her a merfolk might mean that we'd have to make her consistent with the attributes of D&D merfolk.
Not necessarily. The crossovers of general species between universes are already present. You’ve got Dragons from Icaria and Toril, Dwarves from Eberon and Feylund. Elves, Giants, Ogres from different planets. The Orcs from Grut are blue and bald, while the Orcs from Toril are Black and harry. Perhaps the Merfolk from Feylund are pipedal like the ones from MtG. You'd only have to make her consistent with the attributes of D&D if she comes from Toril or Eberon.

Quote:
I think I'd prefer the Nymph species and just Healer class, although I'd be open to exploring a more "regal" direction for her as well. Another potential option for species that's already been used before is "Sidhe" which is the species of the c3v Eilan Sidhe. Google defines "Sidhe" as
Quote:
the fairy people of Irish folklore, said to live beneath the hills and often identified as the remnant of the ancient Tuatha Dé Danann.
. I think I'd still slightly prefer Nymph over Sidhe, but wanted to mention it, especially since there's precedent for it.
Nymph or Sidhe are fine choices and I’d be happy seeing either of those or whatever else. Merfolk is just where I ended up in my own mind, trying to come up with an Einar-like back story for her appearance.

Quote:
I'm less convinced that expanding the range for Carried By Waves to a 4 space radius is necessary? It also strikes me as just slightly less thematic, since the terraforming part of the ability only affects spaces next to her.
I agree. It's not necessary at all, and my thematics are subjective. I was just putting my musing to text "if she can heal with the water 4 spaces away, maybe it's because she can control all the water around her, and if so, maybe she can surge people forward with that water in addition to the water next to her". It wouldn't have made any difference in any of the maps I play-tested on since none of them had a second water barrier to cross if you landed in the first one.

On the other side of the thematics coin, I think it would also make sense, and she'd still be useful, if she could only heal heroes that were adjacent to her since that's where the water she brought with her is.

Take a look at my custom
Take a look at my map
Some thoughts on Drafting Treasure Glyphs