View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2020, 06:14 AM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: [Pod 2] Durnipia (Kiora, the Rising Tide) - Public Feedb

I hope I'm not being overenthusiastic to what is being hoped for from public feedback, but I have more thoughts so I'll post them. If I'm overstepping then please ignore anything that is too much.

I know the healing dial is a moving target, but I want to make a case for it starting at a roll of 6-20.

First there’s the feel of it.
For the major healers of ClasicScape, Rhogar starts healing at 6 and Kelda starts to level up at 6.
Secondly there’s the question of if it’s too powerful inserted into VC.
Is it too powerful for 1 army?
Despite being technically able to heal 61 wounded heroes who are all on a map made entirely of water, the reality is that she will rarely get a chance to even double heal. Most times the Aura of 4 while on water is just for flavor since water is usually one of the most disadvantageous spaces on the map, so mostly she’s healing wounded heroes who are adjacent. And even if you had a Re-Tak-Shi/Othqurik combo going where you had multiple heroes reliably on water, the opponent could just pick them off one at a time. But just for hypothetical’s sake, say you had a clump of high defense heroes that your opponent wanted to whittle down evenly like the Wildwoods. I don’t think it would be an insurmountable challenge for most matchups. (I tried surrounding her with the Monarch, 3 Sentinels and 2 Runners to see if I could keep healing a wall around her against 3 consistent attacks of 3 (PK’s X8 ) on even ground, and broke even after 6 tries)
Is it too powerful in a team battle?
It might depend on how many teams, but my gut feeling is that you would have to work extremely hard with singular purpose to abuse this power by healing too many people.
Is it too powerful for Durnipia to heal herself?
Cyprien and Sonlen pay a premium for their abilities to attack and possibly heal themselves in the process, but they have good attacks and chances to multi attack even. The Ice troll, who's close in price, has a better attack, a better chance to heal, and bonds. If Durnipea's going to dabble in a clean-up roll, her mitigating factor is her absolutely average stats. Her regeneration gives her some usefulness if she's the last one left, but certainly not remotely overpowered. (actually I think a "6-20" Durnipia vs. an Ice Troll Berserker would be a pretty close matchup)
Thirdly, will it be fun to play with the rest of the master set it comes in.
There’s a lot of heroes in the AotP set and not so much water on the cardboard map pieces that the enjoyment is going to come primarily from helping her team jump across rivers. Maybe her water making power will interact with Jace somehow, but if you’re bringing her to be a healer, to me it would feel more fun for her to heal more reliably, especially if it’s only for 1 point at a time.

On being a Rusalka and a Nymph:
I have less pause at her being a Nymph than a Rusalka, but I don't think she should be both. At least not for her class. Rusalka is my least favorite for this sculpt.
I'm not against a Nymph per se, but personally, I’d prefer something more general/universal like a Merfolk. Einar gives me more of an impression of being Imperial or Regal or Bold. Nymphs seem more flighty/aloof. Merfolk can be interpreted in all kinds of different ways, from mythologies to D&D to MtG. IMHO It gives a wider chance to possibly mesh with a future Merfolk that might have a different sculpt-type.

In her armor, with her staff, I see Durnipia as the Queen or a General of the Merfolk of the seas of Feylund who were perhaps disdainful of the realms of land until the Doomstone fell into the hands of evil at the battle of the Nine Wizards, forcing all kingdoms of Feylund to ally together, or perish.

Maybe she’s a Warlord even; Brought by Einar not only for her ability to sustain his armies, but to lead his legions across the Rubicons of Valhalla. There are more synergy combos to think about if you go down that road (although she herself can never go down any roads since she washes them out ).
What if her 4 space sphere of influence over water, was for both her healing ability and her gift of slither:
CARRIED BY WAVES
All land spaces within 1 space of Durnipia that are no more than 2 levels above or 5 levels below Durnipia's base are considered water spaces. Durnipia and friendly figures who start their move on a water space within four clear sight spaces of Durnipia do not have to stop their movement when entering a water space.

Effectively not too different but slightly more useful in maps that have start-zones with water/swamp-water. Your figures still have to plant themselves in water first to cross water later.
Finally, I think the wording for Healing Waters should more closely resemble other healers:
HEALING WATERS
After taking a turn with Durnipia, you may roll the d20 for each friendly wounded hero within four clear sight spaces on a water space. If you roll a 6 or higher, remove a wound from that figure's army card.
[/Thoughts]

Take a look at my custom
Take a look at my map
Some thoughts on Drafting Treasure Glyphs

Last edited by Strack9; November 20th, 2020 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Grammar