Thread: Workshop Thread
View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2017, 12:25 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Workshop Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Hello. I'd like to hear what feedback you had for my map.

My guess is the height was, well, too high. I have already made some changes myself, but I want to hear what you have to say.
I'd echo the thoughts of Sir Heroscape - while I didn't mind the Marvel pieces being visible as much as the other judges did, they do make the map less aesthetically pleasing so it took a small hit for that. Valda being a weak glyph for the map was also a small issue (but there's a lot of climbing so not a huge one). The thematic break of Valda being a Wellspring Glyph was also there; for me, it wasn't that it wasn't on water, as I can totally dig there not being enough water to stop someone but there still being enough magic to affect the area. What bugged me about it was that apparently someone had paved over the wellspring with road, and then the trace of magic-wellspring-stuff was still there. I would have preferred it on a sand/rock hex. In addition to those, other main places I took points off were:

A mild glyph imbalance - 6 move figures can reach the glyph to their right faster than a 5 move can, but that wasn't a huge dock.
Line of sight blockers were okay, but really weren't doing a ton to hinder range, especially the trees (ruins were a bit better).
A lot about the map was okay, but not great, and the strategic choices weren't super compelling.

And then the biggest thing for me: the hills on either side have a lot of hexes on the heighest level, and a glyph right on the edge of them also on really high ground. This makes the hills super defendable, which can lead to a "my hill, your hill" endgame if you win one side and your opponent wins the other, meaning whoever has the strongest glyph wins. Also, like I said, the LoS blockers aren't doing a ton to hinder ranged armies that take a hill, so if I have one hill and longer range than you, I win. They're just very turtle-inducing, which is not something that I believe competitive maps should encourage (yes, turtling is a viable strategy, but not something to auto-win a game based on what map you play on).

That said, there were several things I like about the map as well. I think your use of the road was very good, and I particularly liked how intuitive the start zones are. I think it can be turned into a great map with a bit of work.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; June 3rd, 2017 at 12:45 PM.