View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2021, 10:27 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: 10 Points Under - Heroscape Casting Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Thanks for the feature. I thought that was a fun game to watch, but not sure if anyone else will. It's a good educational game on the pros and cons of refusing to attack Rats; yes it slowed my Rat roll, but because of it I could just keep pouring OMs on to Rats since I wasn't taking any damage. That third round of Rat OMs really gained me some meaningful position over Dysole.

In defense of my Braxas aggression, my thought process was that with Raelin and 4 Stingers already dead, pushing Braxas deep would allow me to try to cripple the Stingers down to a point where Marro Warriors could clean up. Braxas had been difficult to position all game with only 4 range vs. the Stinger's 5 range; I was taking shots from Stingers exactly 5 away that I had no way to get within 4 of while staying on height and no way to engage with Rats. So charging to that level 3 area and at least giving myself relative height gave Braxas a good chance at getting off 6 more acids before she would fall, which would probably be enough to leave a very manageable amount of Stingers for the Marros to handle. I only got 3 more acids off, all of which hit, but I did force 3 more LEAS, none of which hit. Then the Rats killed a couple Stingers, and the Marros had the space to clean out the rest.

Had I not charged her in, I think I could have only got one acid off that turn. The bigger downside was I didn't like passing tempo with initiative switch potential over to Dysole and letting her decide how she wanted to come back into the game. I felt like it was better to end the round flaming out Braxas and then switching to Marros than risk Braxas going down without any flames. Sometimes I think you have more consistent paths to win Heroscape games if you leave certain resources for dead and switch over to the one better suited to the task at hand, and this was definitely one of those situations.

I don't think the move is entirely unfair to criticize though, since I did have Kelda available.
Definitely good points. In retrospect, the Braxas blaze of glory makes a lot of sense with how the game was panning out, but it definitely caught me off guard in-game (which could be another argument for doing it, since it may catch opponents off guard too; I'm curious what Dysole's perspective there was). I think ultimately I'd still play more defensively into Kelda, but there's definitely a very solid argument for both sides (which, honestly, I'm glad the game was able to showcase).

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19