Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: When would you have liked to become a 'scape fanatic
At the very begining 50 78.13%
Between Wave 1- 4 11 17.19%
Between Wave 5- 8 3 4.69%
Even later 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 21st, 2008, 09:23 PM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart
When would you have liked to become a 'scape fanatic?

I became a 'scape fanatic about when Wave 6 came out and I can see the perks and cons from starting when I did or from when the addiction first started

Starting from the beggining

Pros-

- Much easier to find the waves by the time they come out
- You have been playing for a long time
- Sweet sparkily water 1st Edition Master Set

Cons-

- You have been playing for a long time (not really a con)
- You have to wait between waves for the new one to go out
- You have pretty much seen everything that has happend so far

Starting Now

Pros-

- Between waves, you still have stuff to look for occupying the wait time
- The learning phase is still strong and there is much past history to uncover

Cons-

- You could have gotten the first few waves much easier if you started earlier
- Ugly water second edition Master Set
- Swarm of the Marro is not that good and diverse as the first MS

When would you have liked to start?

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:44 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: When would you have liked to become a 'scape fanatic?

Wistful response: When I was twelve. Unfortunately, 'scape wasn't out yet.

Truthful response: Really, any time is good to pick up the game.
I'd like to think that being around since the beginning would have been cool just to be around at the beginning of something special, but all I actually know is when I started it, and that's been a roller coaster ride. I started in July, when Wave 7, SotM and Marvel were all coming out at once, and there was all the Comic and GenCon stuff to ooh and ahh over. There was tons of stuff to catch up on from all the previous waves, and then my first tournament in October. Since then, the 'scape world has really slowed down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:13 PM

Pygon knows what's in an order marker Pygon knows what's in an order marker

At around Wave 2, so, you know, I could have waves 1 and 2.

Part of the reason I'm interested in the game is because of the following. So right from the beginning would have been out unless I was active with friends that discovered it and wanted to try it.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:41 AM

Zeek Woo who?

Well I first saw the original press release from Hasbro announcing this new game that they planed to launch in several months. I went and Googled the name, and found Hero's .net site, where we anticipated and speculated, and the rest as they say....

I would have loved to become a "Scape-A-holic" years earlier, but the game was not out then.

"HeroScape is the Destination." Revdyer Fri Jan 04, 2008.

My customs!
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:51 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm glad I didn't start too early. I really like range, rats, and Marvel figures. The pre-Lindesfarme world would not have been nearly as much fun for me. I am constantly playing the newer ranged squads-- Aubriens, blasts/glads, Stingers.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:16 AM

SVD997 knows what's in an order marker SVD997 knows what's in an order marker

Well, apparently I'm one of the few that actually did start at the beginning. I'll never forget strolling down the Walmart aisle (sadly, a daily ritual when your single, and have nothing better to do) when I saw Heroscape. I was thinking, "Wow, that looks cool, but I'm sure it sucks." Then I thought, "What do I have to lose? Worst case scenario, I get some cool figs for my other games." Best purchase ever. I even got a hold of Wave 1 a couple of days before it was supposed to be released. Someone at Walmart had put the whole display in the sports section, so I picked it up, and sure enough, when I checked HS.net, they said it wasn't supposed to be released for a couple more days. I also ran a poorly designed HS RPG with some college buddies.

I have made some mistakes though. Back when I first started, I didn't fully grasp the value of commons. So though I had more than ample opportunity, I only ended up with 1 of each wave 1 and wave 2 boosters. Then shortly after that, I moved, and didn't play scape for awhile. I didn't have anyone to play with, so I gave it up for awhile. It was in storage for a long time, then this past New Years, after my wife and I moved into our new house, my friends and I got together for what was supposed to be an Axis and Allies game day. One of my friends saw Mimring sitting on the TV, asked what that was, and the rest is history. Now we get together once a month and play 7 or 8 games on a Saturday. I have another friend that will come over and we'll play a little more often. So anyway, I've technically been around since the start, but I had a lapse for a couple of years. I am glad I got in at ground floor though.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:29 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I got started when Wave 4 was the latest, but I would have liked to be here from day one. These "cons" to being there from the beginning aren't really cons in my mind. Of course my biggest pro to being a scaper from the beginning would have been having more discretionary income to get stuff when it first hit the shelves. Playing catch up with less money is rough.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:10 AM

SpiderCoach knows what's in an order marker SpiderCoach knows what's in an order marker

I started right at the beginning. And like SVD, I wish I would have understood the value of multiples of common squads. I didn't realize in the first years that it was acceptable (and encouraged in many cases) to have more than the single booster's worth of figures in an army. In retrospect, I'm sure my wife's very happy about that, especially given the outrageous amounts of money I've invested in the game.

I am a completist by nature, so I'm glad that I've had the opportunity to get the waves as they've hit the stores. Not to mention...I was able to pick up Nerak, EOV, and Sir Hawthorne before the eBay prices went through the roof. That is probably the single, biggest reason I'm glad I picked up the game early.

This is the first miniatures game I've ever played, and it's been such a tremendous joy. It has given my boys and I hours upon hours upon hours of bonding time. It helped to peak my interest into the gaming community and attending events like gen-con.

"If winning doesn't matter, why keep score?"

Special Thanks to: stay_golden_PONYBOY, Browncoat, Onacara, King's Knight, Grishnakh, and Kenjib

Good Traders: capnfrank, heroscaper314, R˙chean
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I picked up the game when Wave III was just released and the shelves around here were still clogged with Wave II so I had lots of those two Waves along with my first Master Set. I think that was a good time to get involved because the only thing I was missing was Wave I which came available again about 2 months after that. I picked up lots of commons right away because I was a lurker on HQ so I knew enough about the game to know that commons are the ROXXORZ!!!111.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:09 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyguy94920 View Post

Pros-

Cons-

For me, two of your "Cons" are in fact "Pros" (playing a long time and having seen everything). So, that's five "Pros" and only one "Con," (and that one isn't so bad, really). Therefore, for me, it is "the sooner, the better."
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:18 AM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyguy94920 View Post

Pros-

Cons-

For me, two of your "Cons" are in fact "Pros" (playing a long time and having seen everything). So, that's five "Pros" and only one "Con," (and that one isn't so bad, really). Therefore, for me, it is "the sooner, the better."
The cons can be taken both ways, for some playing a game for a long time can become lackluster, or boring

And the fact that you have seen almost everything, the space between waves can seem even longer because there's not much that can catch your attention because you have seen it all

Hopefully I hope neither of these happen to me

Most games I buy, I only play consitintly for about a month then it becomes shelf storage forever, 'scape is the only game I am still playing after a whole year

Though I did have that few month period where I forgot about it

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:46 AM

Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion