Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

View Poll Results: Would you use Stinger Denial?
Heck No! 44 65.67%
It depends on who I'm playing. 18 26.87%
I'll use whatever I can for victory! 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 31st, 2013, 09:53 AM
Will Paint For naGrub...

orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Stinger Denial Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywhat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CEE View Post
In it, you broke the rules for your own benefit (bringing an early end to a game you did not enjoy).
From a purely gaming perspective this does not equal gaining an unfair advantage.
If we were looking at this from a pure gaming perspective, there wouldn't be any debate

Last edited by orgsbane; August 31st, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old August 31st, 2013, 10:00 AM

saywhat knows what's in an order marker saywhat knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgsbane View Post
If we were looking at this from a pure gameming perspective, there wouldn't be any debate
True. Carry on.

Last edited by saywhat; September 29th, 2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old August 31st, 2013, 10:00 AM

The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgsbane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywhat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CEE View Post
In it, you broke the rules for your own benefit (bringing an early end to a game you did not enjoy).
From a purely gaming perspective this does not equal gaining an unfair advantage.
If we were looking at this from a pure gameming perspective, there wouldn't be any debate
Exactly. Gaming doesn't take place in a vacuum. There are infinite factors outside of the immediate game that could pressure someone into cheating.
Old August 31st, 2013, 03:06 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Stinger denial is not a tactic I would use. I don't consider it to be legitimate.

At the end of the day, HS is a pretty simple kids game, and complicated rulings like SD aren't really in the spirit of it. We all latched on to it because its so cool, but maybe we should save some of our more grown-up tendencies, like rules lawyering, for games like Magic and Warhammer where its more appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonegnasher View Post
The game designers knew these rules when designing figures. Maybe they even factored in the effect of such things when point costing figures. I would do that if I were designing...so I think it's a mistake not play figures according to the rules and to use the rules to your advantage. Nobody cries foul when a player runs up on to height to get a +1 Attack...why cry foul when a Stinger's gun is used to block your way, or Nilf's wings block LOS, or when an Axegrinder hides behind a stone outcropping and disappears from los??
Truth, Ry, Grungebob, and the other guys who developed the rules and units aren't the same people who develop the sculpts. Hasbro hires professional sculptors to create the figures. Some compromises have to be made when aesthetics meet playability. In the case of the OP, it was a hand me down from DDM being made to work, clearly a compromise.

The sculptors are probably told to keep the models within one hex, but the Stingers look really cool and my guess is they shrugged off the overhang because of it.

The Huge and double spaced figures do have adjustments built into their costs. They have movement and placement restrictions, and they take up more room in the starting zones, as well as having the liability of larger hit zones. My opinion is the size disparity is one of the things that makes the Marvel units incompatible with normal HS.

I think the Marvel units were costed without size being considered as heavily, as most superheroes are going to be the same size. I think they would cost more if they were designed for normal HS because they can move more easily and hide behind objects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
I'd never use it, I remember CVN playing someone at Gencon and Raelin was positioned a certain way that would deny an opposing figure from standing next to her. And he moved her so that the figure could stand there.

It isn't in the spirit of the game, big no-no for me.
And that seals it for me.

Edit: I also suspect that when the game designers saw the sculpts for the first time and realized that they were a little big, that they shrugged and said "They look cool and its just a kids game." And when I say Kids Game, I just mean a less serious game. It was being sold at Wal-Mart, not serious gaming shops. Aesthetics has always been a priority for HS, look at the Dragon Lady situation.

Last edited by Hogg; August 31st, 2013 at 03:32 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units