Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old December 19th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby!
The future cost....

In 1993, MTG was being first played at my high school. I was in 10th grade. The cards, almost immediately, skyrocketed in price. I had Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, all the Moxes, Black Lotuses ...etc etc.... The price was based on I DON'T KNOW WHAT...lol. But I ended up selling a small lot for the same price of a good used car (no exaggeration)!

Fast forward to more recent times. Heroscape seems to be following the same trend as far as pricing patterns. It's been OOP for just over a year. The later sets are gaining speed in a price hike and the older and rarer stuff is outrageous.

I wanted to see what everyone thinks here. The big difference in the games is that MTG and other games are still being made with new expansions and sets. Whereas Heroscape is dead. Where are prices headed? Personally, I see them going up sharply for a SHORT time, then crashing hard when everyone has what they want and there is no future for the game.

Now, I LOVE playing on a regular basis. But, truth be told, I have spent a lot of time and money collecting and hunting these things down. It might not be an "investment", but I am curious as to how well my money was spent. Because, yes, one day my collection will be sold. Can't have it forever. But not too soon as I FINALLY finished Aquilla's Alliance...lmao

Continued question, if HS is ever resurrected, what will that do for our current collections?!

PM me about any custom scenery
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!
Re: The future cost....

If WotC and Hasbro finally remove their heads from their collective rear-ends and finally start printing 'Scape again, the first thing that will happen is that a great many ebay gougers will off themselves. Many people that had just bought 'Scape at outrageous prices will be angry. That aside, prices without a reboot of 'Scape will in all likelihood reach a peak. How high that will be remains to be seen, as Aquilla's Alliance NIB now goes for $400.00 on ebay. Obviously, waves 1, 8, 11, 12, and 13, and Orm's Return will stick around at normal prices for a while due to either overprinting or unpopularity, whichever. You can still get those boosters at reasonable prices. Large expansions and terrain expansions are getting close to their peak, in my opinion. 50 for Raknar's Vision, 50 for forest, 100-200 for jungle, 75 for lava, and 100-125 for tundra. Let's accept those prices, dig out our wallets, and move on. They won't change anytime soon. Exclusives have been at their peak since before 'Scape was canceled, by which I mean flagbearers and the Gencon exclusives that were not released in Wave 10. So I think that prices will rise on Waves and Master Sets, while the ones for terrain expansions and exclusives will stay the same.
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:16 PM

Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby!

"off themselves"....LMFAO......so true.

Old December 19th, 2011, 02:16 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Price Plateau?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
The question is if for each day/week/month/year from now on out, are there are more people starting to collect or selling their stuff. I know heroscapers.com users are a minority, but it seems like there are more users that become inactive than new users, not that that means inactive users will be selling all their stuff. To Auggust's point, when there are more sellers than buyers, than prices may drop off. However, that may never happen, as there is a point where most of us old timers who are left will never sell stuff but we still get more friends into the game who want to collect, so basically there may be a point when hardly anyone is selling but there is still more players. Hopefully it will reach a point when Hasbro/WotC or another game company realized there is more of a market at a point in the future than when the game was stop being sold.

But maybe that is not that likely as even die-hard Heroquest and StarWars mini game players have moved on to other things.
Prices haven't really dropped on SW minis (though they haven't gone up either) and sales have actually been picking up for me lately which pretty much confirms your post.

Truely, if the Heroscape secondary market does keep going and people keep buying long term I hope somone takes note and starts producing this wonderful game again.

.......Andrew
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I am more worried about getting use out of the investment I have made rather than what I can get out of it. Luckily my kid is just starting to hit his stride for Heroscape and My 5 year old is definitely into to it. Between the 2 of them I hope to get 6-8 years out of it and if it isn't worth anything then, oh well. The memories will be priceless.
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:05 PM

Well said, Gurei....well said.

My son is 10 and I have several friends that play over here with THEIR kids as well. Hopefully, this goes on for at least a while longer. I find building massive maps is some of the best fun in the game. Building a level with my son and our friends can take a whole night and we play another day, but just building is an absolute blast!

Last edited by Chachi; December 19th, 2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi View Post
Well said, Gurei....well said.

My son is 10 and I have several friends that play over here with THEIR kids as well. Hopefully, this goes on for at least a while longer. I find building massive maps is some of the best fun in the game. Building a level with my son and our friends can take a whole night and we play another day, but just building is an absolute blast!
Wait a minute... a community in which the younglings learn 'Scape at early age, and grow up with the game. Skills develop early, and then exponentially get better over time. Finally! A superior race of humanoids!
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:15 PM

....excellent...my plans are coming to fruition!

Old December 19th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I've never been a part of a game that died, so this is all new to me. I would expect prices to eventually go down as people tire of scape, find new habit-forming games and sell off their old scape to fuel the new. However, that hasn't happened yet. Either we Heroscape fans are the most rabidly loyal fans ever, or Heroscape is just such an awesome game that people never tire of it or both...I know I'm not getting rid of my collection anytime soon...

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:43 PM

I won't sell mine either (well, some figures to friends...lol). The game has so many possibilities with what is available that it just doesn't get old.

Old December 19th, 2011, 10:11 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
I've never been a part of a game that died, so this is all new to me. I would expect prices to eventually go down as people tire of scape, find new habit-forming games and sell off their old scape to fuel the new. However, that hasn't happened yet. Either we Heroscape fans are the most rabidly loyal fans ever, or Heroscape is just such an awesome game that people never tire of it or both...I know I'm not getting rid of my collection anytime soon...
Well, I've been part of a few games "died", and in terms of pricing, stuff will certainly plateau, then eventually come down a bit.

As an example, the most recent to come to mind is (was) the Vs System ccg. Quality game (blows the current form of MTG out of the water, IMO) that, while receiving adequate support (mine and at least a dozen friends that I know of) and having a multitude of expansions, was cancelled. I initially felt that my investment of nearly three years and $1200 was a waste, but within a year, prices began to become reasonable again. Sure, some of the later, less-printed expansions are still expensive, but many good deal exist (such $12 archive boxes!). So, don't fear: should 'Scape never return (I still have hope), most things will again become attainable.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old December 19th, 2011, 10:30 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

MTG was collectible from the get go and there were rare cards that now are going for ridiculous prices because completists must have them.

Heroscape was not collectible so the prices will not go up the same way. Those who have been in it since the beginning for the most part have full collections and those that got in late will either be content with having an incomplete collection or will give up and sell their stuff.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion